shot/overpowder card

I didn't think you could use just card over the powder charge as I thought the o/p card forms part of the gas seal :hmm: Anyway, you'll find a variety of card in the cupboard in the way of tea bag boxes, cereal packets etc. I've used this on top of the fibre wad to raise the stack slightly if a bit short. I haven't used it as o/shot, but I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. After all the faffing about, I use ready cut ones from FES. At £7.50 per thousand, its isn't worth the hassle for me. :yes:

Edited by turbo33

I believe the over powder card just provides enough stiffness behind the fibre wad to support it and stop it disintegrating and that the wad itself expands to provide the gas seal. Personally I use obturators in place of the card which work like a plastic wad gas seal and are more efficient than the fibre alone so use less powder and they cost less too. So do many fibre cartridge manufacturers.

But OP cards commonly have larger diameters because of a reasonable fact.

Fair enough....mine are cut from my own tools which I aim to get .030" over bore diameter.

Do by all means measure or ask the size if you buy, but in all honesty that compressed wad during firing will seal the bore.

My favourite muzzleloader load chain is just a few OS cards as a wad. A long wad came about to simply take space up in a shell as smaller amounts of smokeless were needed than blackpowder use to take up.

U.