Urgent advice needed

Cookie69

Hi Guys

a chap at work has had a bereavement in the family (farther in-law)

he had 3x shotguns

but unfortunately the family could not find the deceased SGC, the police have issued the family a temporary SGS which runs out

on the 8th of December.

he has asked me the best way to sell them.

Im new to this game, but would have thought a dealer would be the best bet to sell for quick sale?

can anyone advise?

Thanks

Paul

Quickest way - yes

Best way - no

They just need to find his SGC or get a copy and sell privately or through yourself if you want to get involved.

Simplest thing is to pop them on here and try and do F2F sales.

ATB

+1.if you go to a dealer with them for a quick sale on those grounds they'll give you next to nothing

Quickest way - yes

Best way - no

They just need to find his SGC or get a copy and sell privately or through yourself if you want to get involved.

Simplest thing is to pop them on here and try and do F2F sales.

ATB

Ok Thanks

ill try ang get the info on the guns

thanks

You have not been a member long enough to sell anything.

Contact a Mod, they may make an exception in this special case

You could get them transferred to you SGC to give you and the family a little more time to think and plan things through.

If you cannot get a special pass to sell, ask a longer serving PW member to help you out.

Edited by bakerboy

Or put them on a commission sale at a dealer. If plod have issued a temp cert then all legal, assume they have opened cabinet and checked them.

Yes they have been in the cabinet ,all I know about them so far is they are Spanish guns, my mate said one of them looked brand new??? and had a fancy box.

he is in work at the moment ill speak to him after 9pm tonight

hopefully get a little more detail then?

The deceaseds SGC will not be of much use as the certificate owner is the deceased chap & therefore is no longer able to "possess" the shotguns

The temporary SGC (surely a Section 7 permit??) MAY well expire in December, but there is NO REASON for this not to be extended by the police if the family are unable to dispose of the guns before then; to be extended of course the family will need to ask for this in good time, the family solicitor may be worth chatting to if the police start swinging the lead...

GunWatch allows several free adverts - or as has been suggested consult a couple or three local RFDs to compare fees for commission sales

Don't forget that some accessories & associated shooting kit may also fetch a good price for the family

Edited by saddler

When my shooting mate passed away I did'nt want to be insensitive and mention I would be interested in purchasing his guns, I thought I would leave it a few weeks.

Unknown to me the bereaved wife had contacted a local shop who purchased 4 shotguns, 2 rifles, ammuntion and gear for a very low price! Which included a Webley 700, Aya No2 and a lot of my shooting gear that my mate had on loan!

When my shooting mate passed away I did'nt want to be insensitive and mention I would be interested in purchasing his guns, I thought I would leave it a few weeks.

Unknown to me the bereaved wife had contacted a local shop who purchased 4 shotguns, 2 rifles, ammuntion and gear for a very low price! Which included a Webley 700, Aya No2 and a lot of my shooting gear that my mate had on loan!

If I go before my Mrs, she won't be far behind when she finds out how much I paid for my fishing tackle :whistling:

There is no reason you can't get them transferred onto your licence if you have one.

I did similar for a friend who's dad had become ill and had to surrender the licence so I just put it on mine and then sold it for him when I got chance as once its on your licence there is no rush.

The family can be involved In the sale and they can decide if they are happy with what your getting.

There is no reason you can't get them transferred onto your licence if you have one.

I did similar for a friend who's dad had become ill and had to surrender the licence so I just put it on mine and then sold it for him when I got chance as once its on your licence there is no rush.

The family can be involved In the sale and they can decide if they are happy with what your getting.

Yes thanks

that's an option I suppose ,

It's a tricky one and one people should really put into their will. Plod can be insensitive at these moments as they were when my grandfather passed away. Makers name model and serial number are important for valuation, calibre/bore, barrel length, chamber length also help.

Hi Guys

he had 3x shotguns

but unfortunately the family could not find the deceased SGC, the police have issued the family a temporary SGS which runs out

on the 8th of December.

Im new to this game, but would have thought a dealer would be the best bet to sell for quick sale?

can anyone advise?

Thanks

Paul

If there is a "Will" there should be executors.

The executors can do as they see fit with the guns, they do not need a SGC if they already have a Section 7 Temporary permit.

There is no specific panic to sell from a legal point of view, this has happened many time historically and the police are familiar with bereavement and probate.

It is a matter for the executors, who can often be family members, but it isn't a family matter, it is a executor matter!

Sell privately or to a dealer its up to them, there is no panic to chuck these on anyone else's SGC! :good:

Edited by Dekers

here they are just photos im afraid , I cant give a lot more info at the moment

he is going to great Yarmouth on Friday to his mother inlaws , he said he will try and get some more info then.

thanks for all your ideas, I have put them to him, although I get the impression there isn't anyone his mother inlaw can ask, to have them put on another SGS??

he has also said he cant transport them to Cov without his MIL coming along as she is the one named on the temp sgc????

Gun number 1

I haven't got a clue? not in the best condition looking at the photo's

gun1a_zps0a52205c.jpg

guni_zpsaeb6178b.jpg

Gun Number 2 I've herd of this make AYA

gun2_zpsfc5388b4.jpg

2b_zps3b99a1e3.jpg

Gun number 3

gun3_zps4e1b9e99.jpg

3a_zps639a96dc.jpg

3b_zpsa723d1eb.jpg

Thanks again

Hi Guys

he had 3x shotguns

on the 8th of December.

can anyone advise?

Thanks

Paul

They should ask for an extension to the section.7 permit and sell them privately.

They can sell to an RFD or have an RFD sell them on their behalf for a commission.

J.

Try telling that to Cleveland Police !

I am more than a little confused by that, I don't have to tell the Police what to do, the Government already has.

Perhaps you should remind them of Section 7, 1968 Firearms Act.

It is there to cover such eventualities (and others) and is commonly used in cases of bereavement by executors of estates!

If you don't fancy it then go the BASC (other shooting organisations are available) or a solicitor, who will be pleased to remind Cleveland Police of the legal procedures in cases of bereavement involving SGC/FAC.