£890m of student loans sold to private companies for £160m

955i

No we started him on £25k per year, not bad for 20 years old. Most students now think that 3 year degree in work avoidance should see them start on £40K

So you think its work avoidance ,my lad is currently doing a law degree at Newcastle university it is not unusual for him to be in the library until 11.00p.m. working his guts out ,this is on top of his part time job in Sainsburys which involves working all the really good shifts ,Thurs Fri ,and Saturday 6:00p.m. until 10:p.m. as well as pretty much any others he can fit in during the week .Over Christmas /New year he will be home for about 3 days .Still think there all work shy ?

So if I am reading some replies correctly, people have taken out loans and are now complaining that as they have not paid them back, these debts have been sold to a private company.

955i are you saying that as you have now paid more tax because you have a better job courtesy of your university education, you shouldn't have to pay your loan back?

Jeez. You lot can be so narrow minded. Like I am surprised! Let's ignore the minority muppets who do silly degrees and concentrate on the value adders over time. I gt really ****** off by the folks who constantly knock people who want to get educated, better themselves and then go on to make a contribution to society. I started with nowt, got an education, worked hard and now pay a stupid amount of tax. I don't moan about it, I am happy to pay it in the hope it helps others. Put up or shut up

Jeez. You lot can be so narrow minded. Like I am surprised! Let's ignore the minority muppets who do silly degrees and concentrate on the value adders over time. I gt really ****** off by the folks who constantly knock people who want to get educated, better themselves and then go on to make a contribution to society. I started with nowt, got an education, worked hard and now pay a stupid amount of tax. I don't moan about it, I am happy to pay it in the hope it helps others. Put up or shut up

Yup.

I think I'll be employing a new team member next year. Likely to go graduate route but not a clue what pay expectations will be ?

Thoughts anyone ?

In reply to Keg, my loan is payed back already.

What I am saying is I should never have had to get into debt so that I could be a higher contributor to the economy in the first place.

Remember that the people who decided student loans were a good idea had already had their education free!

EDIT: I also agree with those saying that people doing silly degrees should pay.

If the degree is not likely to provide a career at the end (like the degree offered on The Beatles) then it should be classed as a hobby degree and be paid for.

Edited by 955i

Thanks 955i, it wasn't a personal challenge btw, I was trying understand where you were coming from. I also agree that mickey mouse degrees should not be paid for.

Dare I suggest that we go back to the system we had:-

University for the classics like Law, Accountancy etc.

Polys for the technical stuff like engineering and surveying.

Technical colleges, building colleges and teacher training colleges for the relevant subjects then you have an establishment for whatever subject at whatever level. Much better than pushing everyone through "Uni"

I am in the biggest and most famous university in the world and at 47 I have still not graduated.

LIfe...

In reply to Keg, my loan is payed back already.

What I am saying is I should never have had to get into debt so that I could be a higher contributor to the economy in the first place.

Remember that the people who decided student loans were a good idea had already had their education free!

EDIT: I also agree with those saying that people doing silly degrees should pay.

If the degree is not likely to provide a career at the end (like the degree offered on The Beatles) then it should be classed as a hobby degree and be paid for.

Bit of a change of heart me old china? Seem to recall you were all in favour of funding a certain Ethiopian who wanted to get his private pilots licence off the back of the tax payer?? ;)

Thanks 955i, it wasn't a personal challenge btw, I was trying understand where you were coming from. I also agree that mickey mouse degrees should not be paid for.

Dare I suggest that we go back to the system we had:-

University for the classics like Law, Accountancy etc.

Polys for the technical stuff like engineering and surveying.

Technical colleges, building colleges and teacher training colleges for the relevant subjects then you have an establishment for whatever subject at whatever level. Much better than pushing everyone through "Uni"

I am in the biggest and most famous university in the world and at 47 I have still not graduated.

LIfe...

Hi Keg, wasn't taken as a challenge mate, just couldn't quote still at that point so had to put who it was in reply to.

Looks like Teal's patch has sorted the IE 11 issue though :good:

Old Rooster, that was not a degree so a different subject entirely.

Have to disagree, it is public funding of a hobby interest in both cases. Loans for hobby degrees will never be paid back as no employment will be gained from taking them, the same applies to taking the private pilots licence.

I'm sure you can see that both are an abuse of taxpayers money??