Performance chips

pegleg31

A remap that ups the power and improves economy ? Surely F1 teams would be interested ? Why wouldn't the original manufacturer map them that way ?

Most cars are choked up to meet emission laws.

F1 cars aren't :)

Edited by Elby

Most cars are choked up to meet emission laws.

F1 cars aren't :)

Choking up (deliberate retardation) is inefficient, the best way of meeting emission targets is through running the engine in it's absolute most efficient capability. Increasing the power whilst also improving MPG are simply at odds.

A remap that ups the power and improves economy ? Surely F1 teams would be interested ? Why wouldn't the original manufacturer map them that way ?

Because if you advance the ignition and combine it with leaning off the fuel, you will get more power and better economy. However, you get owt for nowt. Leaning off the fuel makes the engine run hotter, advancing the ignition removes any leeway for pre -ignition, pinking or det. The manufacturers sacrifice a little in the way of economy to ensure the engine runs comfortably in the window of fuel variables that can advance the ignition. For the same reason, F1 cars compete in the hottest climates, and whilst they desperately need economy, they can't trade it for reliability. Remember the era of the turbo F1 engines? Huge power, ran too lean, bang!!That's why the margins are so close and they are literally on fumes at the end of the race. Clever blokes those FI mappers :yes:

Choking up (deliberate retardation) is inefficient, the best way of meeting emission targets is through running the engine in it's absolute most efficient capability. Increasing the power whilst also improving MPG are simply at odds.

Its pretty technical,you wouldnt understand it.It does what it says on the tin though.

Try Merc or BMW, they'll understand it, this time next week you'll be a millionaire.

:lol:, man we could all do with some of that :yes: They do Hamster, that's one of he reasons the Kraut cars comfortably do a couple of hundred thousand miles without a hiccup and purr like kittens throughout any aspect of the load load map :yes:

There are several reasons why a factory fuelling map might be less than optimal, including the need to have a great mpg at constant 56mph and the need to pass noise regulations at certain revs in a certain gear. Don't kid yourself that a bloke burning chips in a Croydon flat knows more than Ford about fuel injection, he's not going to have to pass emission tests and you can bet he won't replace your engine when the turbo blows it up. If I was chipping my car I'd certainly put the best fuel in it every time, and that would probably offset any mpg savings, let alone the increased maintenance costs from running an overstressed engine.

Your best of using a reputable remapping service rather than using a chip of tuning box. I've had a remap on all of my diesel cars for the last 6 years and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with any of them.

I'm currently driving a VW Passat PD130 sport with a remap from Revo and it transformed the way the car drives. I've had the car just shy of 3 years and have had no issues due to the remap.

Take some time to shop around the web. My advice would be to look at Shark Tuning, Revo or Angel Tuning.

My 2nd car is a Vectra C 150 Ive got a DTUK Chip on it.

Almost 200 BHP and much better mpg on the motorway 90mph gives 55 + mpg

I've had over 60 mpg on a long run.

Only about 40 mpg around the doors though.

Trouble is the wheels spin up in1st,2nd and 3rd in the dry if I try to floor it , so unusable power, a remap would be much better.

But on the Motorway/Autobahn , in 6th gear its awsome for a cheapish car,70 to 100 -135 is blisto because of the torque.

Mercs and BMW's are gobsmacked on the big speeds available to a common Vauxhall

Chips are cheap fun, and easy to sell on.

Go for it.