Killed my first rabbit with the .22

spandit

Wasnt a particularly difficult shot from about 2" range - it was a young one that I presume my dog had caught and shook about a bit. Was lying quite calmly in my field but still alive. The dogs ignored it as it wasn't moving around. Kindest thing to do was to make sure it was properly dead and I've thrown it into the hedge where I'm hoping something other than my dogs will deal with it.

Subsequently looked up "rabbit in shock" and found a thread on Mumsnet where they all said to take it to a vet. Would a vet charge more than 9p to put it down, assuming I can get a free lift next time? :D

I don't know how many times I've had to do a humane dispatch. The only thing that matters is to ensure that you minimise any suffering.

Apart from that, necking is a useful skill to learn, for when you don't have the gun with you, or it's a fair trek to go get.

• 2 weeks later...

quickest and IMO one of the easiest is just to put your foot on the back of its neck so its body is sticking out of your instep with the head just underneath,

grab the back legs and stand up Straight pulling and twisting at the same time.

you will soon get to know how hard to pull and twist

some big old buck rabbits can test the strength of mortal men if you do it with two hands especially if you have poor technique

equally if you have one that is a bit flighty you dont want to look a tool chasing it, .22 is cheap ....just remember to factor in scope height if you use it

Hold it by the back end head facing downwards, grab head with two fingers under the chin and push the head downwards, you'll hear the neck break.

I've always used that method, never fails. I taught it to a good friend of mine, but he still insists on shooting them, makes a right mess when you give them a 12 bore at 5 yards!

Hold it by the back end head facing downwards, grab head with two fingers under the chin and push the head downwards, you'll hear the neck break.

I've always used that method, never fails. I taught it to a good friend of mine, but he still insists on shooting them, makes a right mess when you give them a 12 bore at 5 yards!

sound a bit like my brother gave a rabbit 15 yards away both barrels with 34g size 4 right mess and the day he got his 1st pheasant we was walking a long a dyke bird fly ed up befor it got out the dkye it had got shot from about 15feet away he insisted in plucking it and as he pulled feathers lead was just falling out of it every where lol

Edited by littlerob