BSA R10 mk2

evo

went round to my buddie,s today and he popped the above out of his bag,

what a stunning rifle, it looked well had a fantastic stock made from a stunning piece of walnut and I have to say felt a beautiful rifle to handle, I must say I was

quite impressed with the build as well . it looked solid, might get one to add to my collection,

have any of you guy,s out there got any tips regarding good and bad about the rifle ??? they certainly look to be well made and it was nice and light also, certainly

a rifle I,ll keep my eye out for, if the price is right of coarse

atb Evo

I really enjoy mine. I've not had it that long, but they're great to hold and are so well balanced. It's taken a while for BSA to get it right, but the new ones seem to be spot on. They can be a bit pellet fussy, and on some the loading mechanism is a bit rough and clunky, and a very few blow seals almost immediately if bought brand new, but that seems to be more a fault with the seals than the guns JB does long life seals that don't have a problem with blowing. Mine's been great though. It seems the older they are, the more problems they have. Why BSA didn't just hold it back and iron out the HOST of issues it had originally, I'll never know! So, if you're looking at a second hand one, particularly an older Mk2 or a Mk1, then either get one that's been tuned, or sniff out a bargain and get it done yourself. XTX, Ratworks and of course John Bowkett do tune ups. As I got mine new, I got a life time warranty and servicing, which would be void if I got it tuned, so I've not bothered. As it is though, I can't really imagine I'd get too much out of the £200 tuning cost! I'm just as accurate with it as I ever was with a Daystate.

I do know that with R10s made in 2012 and after, XTX don't even swap the regulator for a Tench reg, because the BSA one is really stable and consistent. Before that though it's probably worth having a Tench one, as it's a bit more consistent.

mine's the VC version, so it's not got the shroud, but does have a silencer. The shroud on the other version is useless; you need an extra silencer on it for hunting. That makes it as quiet as the VC one, but also a few inches longer.

Get one mate! They're great fun to shoot. Oh and the stock is made by Minelli, who do Daystate's stocks, so that must be a good sign ;)

thanks for that chris,, yes the stock was stunning it had checkering like the regal, a really stunning looking stock, it had a shrouded barrel and the silencer fitted superbly onto the end and didn,t look out of place, it was also whisper quiet as well,

certainly impressed with it, just a shame its my mates lol

cheers Evo

I can only say that i bought one new and it was a right dog i gave up after it whent back and forth to bsa 3 times in a month .ive now got the bsa scorpion se in walnut 177 cal and i love it only bad point is that you can double load it easily if you dont pull the bolt back fully each time.but this is a truly nice looking gun and so accurate.i was clearing collard doves last week shot 56 in the day all head shots at 35 yds

I can only say that i bought one new and it was a right dog i gave up after it whent back and forth to bsa 3 times in a month .ive now got the bsa scorpion se in walnut 177 cal and i love it only bad point is that you can double load it easily if you dont pull the bolt back fully each time.but this is a truly nice looking gun and so accurate.i was clearing collard doves last week shot 56 in the day all head shots at 35 yds

how long ago did you get yours, Michael?

I bought mine in march this year mate it was the latest model .from my local gun shop i was realy looking foreward to it as i think they are stunning to look at .i couldnt wait to get it out of the box and try it sadly it was short lived i loaded the mag but i couldnt get it in to the breech after several minutes i saw that if i tilted the gun with the barrell pointing upwards the whole breech was loose so i pushed it back in and slid the mag in place but then the mag jamned and i just took it back the next day a week later i got it back from bsa.

With the same faults so it whent back again.third time unlucky.

They fixed the faults but then the gun wouldnt group at all and i mean group.pellets landing anything from one inch to the bull and 18 inches from the bullsey.they were going high ,low, left, right,the bolt was very rough too. I was told to send the gun for a after market regulator but why when this is supposed to be the new model with all the faults ironed out.anyway i took it back and bsa gladley swapped it for a bsa scorpion in walnut 177 cal which i am very pleased with.

When this happens it destroyes your confidence in that make an model.but i have had this with the daystate huntsman classic,daystate air ranger,and hw 100 , all bought new and were all dreadfull with bad faults .hope if you get one its one of the good ones good luck mate

I cant work out what it is with the R10 quite a few people still seem to have issues even on the new ones from reading the BSA owners forums. But you never seem to get anywhere near the number of issues with the Ultra's and the Scorpions.

Personally though a friend has an early MK2 with the shrouded barrel and its a tack driver with no issues with it since he got it a couple of years ago.

Edited by Zetter

My wife had a bad Scorpion SE when they first came out, needed to be sent back to BSA to be fixed !

The R10 has had a sack load of problems from start to current, if you get a good one, great, if not, more problems than a little. Like Theoben.

Best bet is to buy a good secondhand one and sent it to John Bowkett for a blueprint!

My wife had a bad Scorpion SE when they first came out, needed to be sent back to BSA to be fixed !

The R10 has had a sack load of problems from start to current, if you get a good one, great, if not, more problems than a little. Like Theoben.

Best bet is to buy a good secondhand one and sent it to John Bowkett for a blueprint!

That's probably true. The only reason I went new was because of the free warranty and servicing for as long as I own the gun. If it starts causing problems, then I'll think about an XTX/JB tune. but until then, there's no point. Shoots spot on. kills stuff. good fun. huzzah

i have had .177 one for approx 3months now, great gun compared to my old ultra, like previous post had to go back after 2weeks, it started losing air, three weeks later on its return they said it was due to either dirt in filling aperture or bur on integral component in filling aperture.

up to now seems ok.

i have took pigeon out at 55yds, rabbit at 45yrds.

the only trouble i have at the moment is when i use ns200 cant seem to get rid of bad flare when scope moved from its lowest mag setting, but that's no fault of gun just got to try and find whats causing it, plus i cant hold gun up for long when standing(arms ache, that's my age and circulation probs me thinks).i tend to use aid to support gun where i can.still better than my sons bsa his weighs a ton and is fore end heavy, think his is called super ten.

image is not current, i have camo around buddy bottle and all way down barrel and mod also bit around scope and i have changed scope to mamba lite

Edited by djgeoff

JB replaces the internals on the R10s as being "unfit for purpose". That way he can issue a guarantee for his customer, even returning postage costs, for a secondhand R10. Much better bet moneywise than buying new and with all the benefits of his Blueprint Tune. :) No one knows them better than the designer. BSA made and continue to make a right pigs ear of it. Just compare the quality with Air Arms and many others

http://sillyfokkerrc.wix.com/john-bowkett-website#!

Strewth Michael-with luck like yours I would sit down to pee - nothing is safe in your hands :yes:

Lol yes mate i think i must be the unluckiest *****r around those daystates tho i couldnt believe it £1200 for the ranger ,then to get the huntsman classic with same faults ,then hw 100 .i nearly gave up on the airguns as i do more shotgun shooting .but i do love my airguns .fingers crossed tho my scorpion se has been faultless uptil now .the only make of rifle that ive owned which as never let me down is the airarms ive had the s310, s410, s510 .. I alway got bored of thier looks though as i think they are very plain .

Lol yes mate i think i must be the unluckiest *****r around those daystates tho i couldnt believe it £1200 for the ranger ,then to get the huntsman classic with same faults ,then hw 100 .i nearly gave up on the airguns as i do more shotgun shooting .but i do love my airguns .fingers crossed tho my scorpion se has been faultless uptil now .the only make of rifle that ive owned which as never let me down is the airarms ive had the s310, s410, s510 .. I alway got bored of thier looks though as i think they are very plain .

don't worry about looks, as long as its doing what is asked of it ie staying accurate and doing its job then I would not care about looks

atb Evo

I had a few problems with mine but i contacted the designer of the rifle who has blueprint tuned it and shortened the barrel,

John (the designer) did say he designed it and then BSA changed the design for various reasons. He has now completely change the way the rifle shoots and performs!

BSA WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO THE JOHN BOWKETT???

John has now turned this gorgeous rifle into a gorgeous and practical, everyday, pro hunting rifle!

Here is his website for anyone who is interested

http://www.johnbowkett.co.uk

Edited by LPJA

Had mine for about a year and a half and except 1 barrel block which sorted itself out it has been spot on. Clinically accurate, well balanced. Great gun but still prefer shooting my rusty old tx

Jinxed myself went out on Wednesday and she started losing air from the filling port. Tx it was then so happy days.

Paid £400 for my late mk1 r10 about 2 years ago and it lasted 6 months before seals went. Sent it off to XTX for a standard X tune and came back better than I dare hoped! £550 including scope, post and tune.. Bargain! My advice is definitely buy one, but buy second user and expect to get a tune, that way you're expectations are continually bettered!

Edited by chandler