28 gauge

colin.y

go the chance to use a 28bore on a pheasant shoot i have never used one,do they kill as well as a 12 bore the shoot i am going on is renound for high birds .If the shot is put in the right place it will kill i know that but is it more difficult ,do you have to be more accurate

what do you think?

Yes,No,Yes.......unless you can hit better than 2:1 with a 12 on the same shoot then don`t IMHO.

Can you define high ?

Yes the Opposite of LOW :look:

:lol:

Think i am in for a spanked bottom now :yp:

If your considering something smaller than a 12g then the 20g may be more apt for the shoot they are a little easier on the shoulder dep on the cart your using!

If your still going for a 30g ish cart then your best off sticking with a 12g to be honest and the carts are cheaper to boot :lol:

LG

Yes,No,Yes.......unless you can hit better than 2:1 with a 12 on the same shoot then don`t IMHO.

Can you define high ?

ummmm, well not sure not seen an altimeter on a pheasant latelly, they will be flying off of hills and the guns are stood in a valley got to be 100ft + if not a bit more.

sorry bit vauge not really guessed the height of pheasants before just shoot them it was either a high bird or a good bird in my book :look:

yea this is only a borrow gun i am not intending to buy one YET

i don`t own a o/u or s/bs at then moment and the shoot`s not keen on the semi auto

so i am going to borrow a scatter gun from a freind

Can you define high ?

ummmm, well not sure not seen an altimeter on a pheasant latelly, they will be flying off of hills and the guns are stood in a valley got to be 100ft + if not a bit more.

sorry bit vauge not really guessed the height of pheasants before just shoot them it was either a high bird or a good bird in my book :look:

i don`t own a o/u or s/bs at then moment and the shoot`s not keen on the semi auto

Thats got to be about 33 yards or out to 40 if you going 100+ feet.

Giving that i think i would MUCH prefer the 20g or the 12g

Is the 28g the only one you can borrow?

LG

Think i am in for a spanked bottom now :look:

If your still going for a 30g ish cart then your best off sticking with a 12g to be honest and the carts are cheaper to boot :yp:

Oh yes you are........30gm in a 28bore,only if it`s a 3 1/2" magnum.Eley do a 16 &24gm.

100ft = 30m give or take,which is bread and butter for 12 bore with open chokes,therefore with around 1/2 of the shot charge you need to tighten the choking of the gun to increase the pellet density.

Other factors are you have never used this gun,it may not fit you/shoot to the point of aim you are used to etc.

Stick with the gun/choking/cartridge you are comfortable with.

Think i am in for a spanked bottom now :lol:

If your still going for a 30g ish cart then your best off sticking with a 12g to be honest and the carts are cheaper to boot :lol:

Oh yes you are........30gm in a 28bore,only if it`s a 3 1/2" magnum.Eley do a 16 &24gm.

100ft = 30m give or take,which is bread and butter for 12 bore with open chokes,therefore with around 1/2 of the shot charge you need to tighten the choking of the gun to increase the pellet density.

Other factors are you have never used this gun,it may not fit you/shoot to the point of aim you are used to etc.

Stick with the gun/choking/cartridge you are comfortable with.

Sorry HD i meant the 30g carts in the 20g gun then it would be worth just going for the 12g :yp:

Too late i think it's time for Bed :look:

LG

Can you define high ?

Thats got to be about 33 yards or out to 40 if you going 100+ feet.

Giving that i think i would MUCH prefer the 20g or the 12g

Is the 28g the only one you can borrow?

LG

i have many options ,i am unsure how high these birds are plenty high enough i think !!

henry i can`t use my semi auto on this shoot other wise i would be there asap

i might try a 12g first then have aplay with the 28g another time

I have a 28-bore that I use a lot on driven partridge and early pheasant. I also use it a lot on clays. I wouldn't dream of using it on a 40-yard pheasant, but it packs a mean punch on lower birds. Without revisiting the classic "only nonces, kids and women use anything less than a 12-bore" argument, it is possible to kill cleanly and consistently with a 28-bore. I use 24g loads in mine, and the recoil is not much more noticeable than the 24g loads I use all season in my 20-bores.

You need to be a consistent Shot, and good at judging range, to use such a little gun effectively. Making a leap from a 12 to a 28 may be very demoralising if you're not used to lightweight guns and light loads.

Last week the keeper on our shoot used a 28g on the last drive took 6 with 9 cartridges on high birds. He is a top shot, all the beaters stopped to watch him. Earlier most of the guns with 12 g were missing simular high birds - he took the smallest gun to prove a point and stop them moaning on the birds being too high when they took 7 with 100+ cartridges. :look:

A good anecdote, 'Popper, and it does prove a point: size isn't everything............

must show the wife this point !!!!!

cheers folks i am now considering pinching a 12g from another mate ,i have plenty of options .I could take the 28 and have a go with it as well see how it performs :look:

i would give the 28 a go after all u may not get an offer to use a 28 on driven birds for a long while. if u know some one thats into sporting gun mag or maybe look it up on the net theres a very good artical in the january 2004 mag all about the 28 pattens chokes etc and they talk about it being ok out to 45 yards with the right choke shot and ammo cobination plastic wads seam to make a titer patten :angry:

saying that i took a look at some 28 s a week or so ago o man o man they are not so bigger than a 410 im sticking to my 20 :angry:???:angry:

I'm not a shotty man myself so am not biased, just what I see on shoots, The keeper went for a 28g to keep the noise down a bit for vermin. On the shoot one man found he got on better with a 20g (big lad skip truck driver) now he has a long barrelled 28g, which the keeper used to drop 6 with 9 high birds.

On a 2 1/2 " .410 I have seen a good shot hit clays harder than most could with a 12g. Its interesting how theory and results change about guns, it looks like its the man not the gun that counts. ???

thanks folks ,the chance to ue a 28 on driven pheasies is often possible ,just not been to this particular shoot before and have been told by some who has they are very sporting high birds and this chap has been game shooting for years.

i like the sound of a s/s 12g for this and all my game shooting as it is lookiing like next season i will be doing alot more

thanks for the comments folks ,it has been a great help :lol:

when my lad started clay shooting the guy kitted him out with a 28 bore and he was better than me.

As long as a pellet hit's the bird in the right place then there should be no probs in dropping them cleanly.

I would still be more counftable with a 12 bore on my shoot using tradishional 30g 6's as I stand a better chance od a clean kill than if I was using say 17g'of 6's.

With that small load of pellets I would go for 7's because the early season pheasants have not gone over the guns too many times and may not fly that high, so you could get away with using 7's.

There was a article in sporting gun, about one of there writers peter theobald pigeon ledgend using a 28 bore to combat his tinnitus, in the article he stopped shooting with it as the bag hit 300.

This is on pigeons at much shorter range so I have no idea how it would preform on high pheasants, 12 or 20 bore is you best bet. :lol: