decoying a HIGH flight line

lap9387

This is an almost impossible scenario to fix, when they're that high it's usually because they know where they're heading to. Personally I don't think it's because they can't see the pattern, they're just not interested enough. If the flight line is busy and predictable enough then just choke up and shoot them high.

I would try to get as much movement going in the pattern as possible using magnets / flappers etc, but as Hamster has said it will still be very difficult to make much of the situation and you may well be better just trying to shoot them flighting if they are low enough for a shot.

I've had this when decoying on fields of fallen wheat which were blue the day before. With great expectation I set up a pattern complete with the bobers and weavers and a flapper only for birds on a flight line directly over head to go straight on past out of gunshot at high altitude almost on oxygen. Very boring, I went for a walk around to see where they were going and watched them with the binos for about two miles where they were coming down on a rape stubble. SO not interested in wheat from the day before.