My first Magpie

BoonYNWA

My war against the Magpies has officially started :) Got my first today with a headshot using my HW97 he didn't even flap so I'm very happy that it was a clean kill and that there is one less squawker about.

I showed it my Yorkie and he's gone wild over it and he seems to want to eat it. Are there any problems with him doing so? As I wouldn't want to eat one but I'd be happy to let him if it's not going to damage his health.

Well done, shooting magpies with an air rifle is a dark art and isn't easily done.

I have a new permission plagued with them and it's an air rifle job only because it's so close to the road.

Have been scratching my head for days trying to figure out how I'm going to get the job done.

Keep is up :good:

Heddwch

PS Wouldn't feed it to the dog personally, not after seeing what magpies eat.

Put some sort of bait out so that they land and are more concerned with stuffing their beaks than you. Got a couple on consecutive mornngs in the garden with old chicken eggs - so engrossed that they did not notice a slow window open and a perfect spine shot with RWS superpoints (.22 from Gamo Magnum). Dropped no flap, their mates did the old corvid "man down dance". keep them down to protect our local songbirds - particularly in nesting season when the maggies are after the eggs and chicks.

Just wanted to post an update to this.

I must of been lucky with the first one as the rest are ridiculously hard to get a hold of. I've tried to bait them but no luck so far. On the plus side however I've had two grey squirrels that are now sat in the freezer :)

P.S I didn't feed him to my Yorkie but he has obtained a new habit in trying to catch any bird that lands in the garden.

Just wanted to post an update to this.

I must of been lucky with the first one as the rest are ridiculously hard to get a hold of. I've tried to bait them but no luck so far. On the plus side however I've had two grey squirrels that are now sat in the freezer :)

P.S I didn't feed him to my Yorkie but he has obtained a new habit in trying to catch any bird that lands in the garden.

Aye you're not alone there mate! Magpies don't work as sporadic individuals. Think of them more like flying meerkats. very often you'll have look outs high in tall trees who give warnings to surrounding magpies, particularly if you're using a dead something for bait. This may well have started way before you even get into position so the game might be up before you even realise it! Are they still in and around your shoot?

My war against the Magpies has officially started :) Got my first today with a headshot using my HW97 he didn't even flap so I'm very happy that it was a clean kill and that there is one less squawker about.

I showed it my Yorkie and he's gone wild over it and he seems to want to eat it. Are there any problems with him doing so? As I wouldn't want to eat one but I'd be happy to let him if it's not going to damage his health.

Well, it never seemed to do HGV drivers any harm and I think they used to eat loads of them !!!!!

well done, takes me back to the days when the hw77 and 80 (real airguns..lol.) ruled the waves, before the airgun world went pre-charged crazy,when me and a friend used to sit either end of a small copse and as one of us shot it used to send the kit (what is the term for a collection of maggies?)over to the other end and vice versa, good times indeed, now pre-charged has got me hooked too im afaraid,all good stuff, and the magpies.....still keep coming.

Well done, I've been knocking over more Magpies than anything else since Chrstmas. I hope you've still got the one you shot as if you prop it up on your shoot as a decoy, it will bring the others in squawking like mad..!

They are always attracted to the corn from the pheasant hoppers and the cobs around the perimeter of the farm, you'll need a good hide and either head shots or approx 1" up into it's black bib from the front are instant kills.

There seems to be an abundance of them on the farm I shoot over this year and some time ago I counted 18 in one tree that came from all directions protesting over the one I'd just knocked over..!!

They usually come in pairs and a partner will come close to the first you shoot wondering whats happened to them, be ready with a quick reload.... :good:

Edited by David M

Excellent work. Ironically I've seen some magpies do very stupid things. Each time I've shot a magpie, I've ended up on average bashing at least two of their "mates" at the same time.....after shooting one, the others always seem to get really agitated and jump down to look at their fallen comrade. At that moment..they promptly join them!

-Andrew

Guest rimotu66

Well done, there isn't much better then taking a corvid with a air rifle, that proves real craftwork.

All of the methods mentioned will work, I also have a stuffed maggy that I sit under a tree or near a hedge etc.

At the end of a disused railway that I walk the dog down there are dozens of maggies but the area is used by dog walkers and I do not know who owns the land, imagine my frustration every time I walk down there, I even throw sticks at them :lol:

Using eggs as bait works :yes:

Had another two Magpies one head shot at 25 yards and one who was about 40 yards away that got it in the heart. Thinking back I should of waited for him to come closer though as I'm sure it'd of been a lot easier to retrieve rather than scrambling through holly bushes to confirm he'd been taken cleanly.

I'll pop down the shop later to grab a few different size boxes of matches although the thought of using matches to attract them seems like sending a naive lad to fetch tartan paint. :blush:

No don't feed it to your dog! He only wants to maul it really, he smells death. It will make a huge mess and the dog could choke on it, also magpies are horribly dirty animals. Congrats on the kill though a magpie is a VERY difficult beast to shoot even with a shotgun. Rattling a box of matches can help call them in though.

Edited by srspower

Guest rimotu66

I'll pop down the shop later to grab a few different size boxes of matches although the thought of using matches to attract them seems like sending a naive lad to fetch tartan paint. :blush:

And what is wrong with tartan paint? :lol:

Seriously , the matchbox trick can work with a bit of practice :good:

Rattling matches does indeed bring in inquisitive Magpies! Another thing they can't resist usually is a dead magpie! I've shot a second Magpie within moments of the first and a number of ocassions.

Heart/lung shots are very effective on Magpies. If you can't get a decent line on a headshot, or it's moving around too much I wouldn't hesitate with heart/lung.