3 x 12 bores 1

hoggysreels

Popped down to see bosher and purchased 3 x shotguns off the man .. he's a reasonable chap and the type l like to do business with, in short, highly recommended! ... well worth the 320 mile round trip ..

They were cheapies and as the man described .. there wasn't any false exagerated claims, they were exactly as advertised.

Within an hour of getting home l had all three down the farm and fired them all. All did whats expected of them. No problem with any of them. I should add boshers departing message was .. " any probs within the next three months with them, get back in touch " ... thats the type l like to deal with !! .. but l dont envisage there being any.

I took two 12 bore sbs and "something lve been after for a while" .. a webley single 12 bore "the model 100" semi hammer jobbie, auto eject ...

One of the sbs has "Essex" in gold lettering on the mechanism release lever, with, made in Spain embossed below the receiver mechanism ... Anyone know the Spanish maker of the Essex sbs 12 bore 2 3/4" chambered shotgun ? ... any information would be much appreciated indeed

I'd also appreciate some info regards the webley & Scott 12 bore single ejector, semi hammer shotgun. Ive found out the production run was cira 1914-1975 .. advertised as the farmer and game keepers.

If anyone one should by chance have a copy that they have copied and could be emailed to me regards the instruction literature that would have come with this gun when new, l'd be really grateful if you would be so and sent it me as a document "bit if a long shot" but worth asking l think!

Ive a Baikal 12 bore single l got hold of a while back "lm getting a liking for single twelve bores" .. just something about them that appeals to me. They certain make you select your targets, not that you shouldn't anyhow .. l can't as yet decide which is the nicer, the baikal or the webley and scott to use .. both have their appeal ..

Chatting to an old chap not long back. I happen to mention the 12 bore Webley & Scott single and in the same sentence the BSA Snipe 12 bore. In his opinion, he categorically said the Webley & Scott 12 bore semi hammer model 100 was superior to the BSA Sniper 12 bore. If you have owned both, ld be interested to know your take on it .. it might be l end up purchasing a BSA Snipe to find out .. but if anyone has an opinion, regards a comparion, please share it .. cheers gent ...nchees alknthecbest

Glad fer ya bro.....I too like single however have none just now. They a cheap and light to carry. They do encourage good shooting too!

There is always that something in less is more and a single brings that out.

I turned up on a walked up day once with a single and shot as good as every one else!

I know nowt about your Webley but do like the BSA snipe.

Have fun.

U.

Will endeavour to find out a bit of history regards the "Greener GP" if only out of curiosity .. they sound desirable, which equals, expensive ..

I looked up on the "Gun manuals" fixed threats on PW .. and there were only the assembley instruction manual regards the Webley .410 .. ld like to get hold of the Webley 12 bore single "model 100" literature pamphlet in pdf form if possible .. any suggestions were l might, would be greatly appreciated ..

My first shotgun back in the 60's was a sinle 12 bore Webley. If memory serves me, it was an ejector but not 'selective'. It just ejected everything, fired or not. I recall that I was advised against the BSA 'snipe' due to it, and I quote "Having springs like hairclips". I sold the Webley and bought a single Baikal, having had a few hairy moments cocking and uncocking the Webley, especially with cold, wet hands. The Baikal was a pig to carry, the opening lever around the trigger gaurd used to dig into my arm. Another single that was popular at the time, but not very well built, was the Argyl. This was more of a semi hammer thing really with a black enamelled action. I traded the Baikal in for an AyA Yeoman at Whitty's sports shop which was off Church Street in Liverpool. I got £15 for the Baikal off the AyA which was £35.00. The only cartridges really were Eley Grand Prix and through the single barrels, they kicked like a mule AND you did not dare get the paper cases wet. Mind you the fired cases had a smell all of their own !!

I have to say l find you're impressions of the webley springing cartridges out and the baikal lever digging into the forearm quite accurate lol .. though l like both and now own both! .. though l can't recall "Whitty's" in Church street .. l can only recall two gunsmith's in Liverpool .. one by Derby Square and the other in Old Hall Street

The other 2 Gunsmiths you refer to were Richards, who moved from Moorfields to India Buildings, near Derby Square. The Gunsmith was John Paul who retired and the shop closed. John continued some work from his home and was doing work for the Yorkshire shop that bought the W, Richards (Liverpool) name. The other shop in Old Hall Street was Carswell's. They sold out to a guy from Rainford who tried running before walking and went bust. The Gunsmith, Don Reece was working in a small workshop in Southport and has recently retired. They, combined, have ended an era in Liverpool Gunsmiths and we are now left with none. A shame really, but there we are (pass the Kleenex). I do not recall a Gunsmith on the Wirral, except a guy that worked from home, between Thornton Hough and Neston, who was very good. He did a lot of small jobs for me, chokes, stock bending and even barrel blacking. Now it is a trip to Shugborough or Cannock !

Way back in the 70s I was looking at a Greener under lever martini action single 12 bore in gunsmiths in Lymington Hants I wanted it but the man behind the counter at Greenfields a gunsmiths in Ringwood put me off saying its a good gun but way over priced and would cost a lot to put right if it went wrong so I never did get it but had a Russia single like a Baikal made like a tank never let me down and still in the cabinet I also have a single BSA semi hammer ejector and agree uncocking in cold or damp weather not idea, but god does that thing kill at a distance 32" 3/4 choke barrel duck gun.

I only recall the gunsmith's on the A41 because as a child, l was taken there by my uncle, to purchase cartridges .. l'm guessing circa 1967/1969 .. it was on the left after passing Plymyard cemetry, heading towards Chester Zoo ...

Apart from Eddie Jackson on the Wirral, lm not aware of any Gunsmiths on the Wirral, Cheshire .. there are RFD's but none lm aware of that are recognised Gunsmith's sited in a shop etc ...

I seldom venture to Liverpool these days, for any personal reason. Though l frequently drive through it, work related ...

North Cheshire would benefit with a gunsmith's ..

1. There would be enough business potential/customers

2/ The big Supermarkets can't muscle in on the business etc

The greener GP was produced in large numbers and is so is still not expensive. They used to be cheaper of course but have a search on gunstar or guntrader and you will see that they can be had for not far over £100 still. There was a very nice one in a shop in Leominster I saw the other weekend. 32" barrel with full choke. According to the owner the chap who bought it in complained that it was too tight and the rabbits he was shooting were uneatable..

They made a deluxe version which had a fixured walnut stock, (but not forend) and a case colour hardened action. There was also a take down version and sometimes they had an adjustable choke. All the ones I have seen have been 2.75" and proofed to 1.25 oz.

The blueing is deep and they are built like tanks. I've not heard of one breaking.

All GP guns are "take down " in so much the barrel screws out of the action . Later ones were colour hardened mainly due to the fact that the casting would not black successfully. Greene'rs did make a version with what we now call a multi choke that screwed into an adapter on the muzzle ,looked more like a muzzle break or compensator . Not sure when possibly in the 50's , but it was short lived ,barrel lengths from 28" to 32" . There were also a trap version made primarily for the States with pistol grip stock beavertail forend and wide vent rib, made by Webley in the 70's .

The Fig 100 , don't ever recall seeing anything that could be described as a hand book but I did actualy work on some of the last one made .

Popped down to see bosher and purchased 3 x shotguns off the man .. he's a reasonable chap and the type l like to do business with, in short, highly recommended! ... well worth the 320 mile round trip ..

They were cheapies and as the man described .. there wasn't any false exagerated claims, they were exactly as advertised.

Within an hour of getting home l had all three down the farm and fired them all. All did whats expected of them. No problem with any of them. I should add boshers departing message was .. " any probs within the next three months with them, get back in touch " ... thats the type l like to deal with !! .. but l dont envisage there being any.

I took two 12 bore sbs and "something lve been after for a while" .. a webley single 12 bore "the model 100" semi hammer jobbie, auto eject ...

One of the sbs has "Essex" in gold lettering on the mechanism release lever, with, made in Spain embossed below the receiver mechanism ... Anyone know the Spanish maker of the Essex sbs 12 bore 2 3/4" chambered shotgun ? ... any information would be much appreciated indeed

I'd also appreciate some info regards the webley & Scott 12 bore single ejector, semi hammer shotgun. Ive found out the production run was cira 1914-1975 .. advertised as the farmer and game keepers.

If anyone one should by chance have a copy that they have copied and could be emailed to me regards the instruction literature that would have come with this gun when new, l'd be really grateful if you would be so and sent it me as a document "bit if a long shot" but worth asking l think!

Ive a Baikal 12 bore single l got hold of a while back "lm getting a liking for single twelve bores" .. just something about them that appeals to me. They certain make you select your targets, not that you shouldn't anyhow .. l can't as yet decide which is the nicer, the baikal or the webley and scott to use .. both have their appeal ..

Chatting to an old chap not long back. I happen to mention the 12 bore Webley & Scott single and in the same sentence the BSA Snipe 12 bore. In his opinion, he categorically said the Webley & Scott 12 bore semi hammer model 100 was superior to the BSA Sniper 12 bore. If you have owned both, ld be interested to know your take on it .. it might be l end up purchasing a BSA Snipe to find out .. but if anyone has an opinion, regards a comparion, please share it .. cheers gent ...nchees alknthecbest

I remember buying a new Essex 12g s/s ejector from Kay's catalogue in the early 60's, if I'm correct it cost about £30.00 to buy paid weekly from my apprentice's wages.

I did'nt own the gun long because it used to kick like a mule, and the trigger guard used to hit/cut my second finger when fired, mind you I used to use Eley Maximum No 5 at the time!

Also once owned a Greener GP with the vari-choke attachment on the end of the barrel, it was very handy to select which choke you required for different types of shooting.

Edited by browning123

I only recall the gunsmith's on the A41 because as a child, l was taken there by my uncle, to purchase cartridges .. l'm guessing circa 1967/1969 .. it was on the left after passing Plymyard cemetry, heading towards Chester Zoo ...

Apart from Eddie Jackson on the Wirral, lm not aware of any Gunsmiths on the Wirral, Cheshire .. there are RFD's but none lm aware of that are recognised Gunsmith's sited in a shop etc ...

I seldom venture to Liverpool these days, for any personal reason. Though l frequently drive through it, work related ...

North Cheshire would benefit with a gunsmith's ..

1. There would be enough business potential/customers

2/ The big Supermarkets can't muscle in on the business etc

Is Harry Faulkner Gunsmith still in business somewhere on the Wirral?

I think I remember a friend having a single barrel Greener 12 bore which had an adjustable choke, you could turn it clockwise or anti clockwise to open or close the choke and it was marked to state which choke position you had chosen, it's 30 years ago now so I may be wrong, but, someone will put me right I am sure. It fired rather well. ATB.

" BSA semi hammer ejector and agree uncocking in cold or damp weather not idea, but god does that thing kill at a distance 32" 3/4 choke barrel duck gun."

Are we talking BSA Snipe or other ? ... very interesting post !!

Well I dont know the model but it states 'THE BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS Co Ltd-ENGLAND' on top of barrel above the forearm. On one side of the breech it has BSA with 3 rifles above and on the other side it has SINGLE-X11 no other model names on it the only other thing is the forearm is held on by a screw not a clip.

All GP guns are "take down " in so much the barrel screws out of the action . Later ones were colour hardened mainly due to the fact that the casting would not black successfully. Greene'rs did make a version with what we now call a multi choke that screwed into an adapter on the muzzle ,looked more like a muzzle break or compensator . Not sure when possibly in the 50's , but it was short lived ,barrel lengths from 28" to 32" . There were also a trap version made primarily for the States with pistol grip stock beavertail forend and wide vent rib, made by Webley in the 70's .

The Fig 100 , don't ever recall seeing anything that could be described as a hand book but I did actualy work on some of the last one made .

Thanks Gunman, i had thought that there was a seperate take down version. So you're saying that in the later guns the metal was not able to take the bluing as the earlier guns? Is the deluxe version a myth? Mine certainly has better wood in the stock.

1. To be honest, l can't say lv'e heard of Harry Faulkner "Gunsmith's" .. though thats likely to be my ignorance.

2. I'm not certain there ever was an instruction pamphlet that came with a new W&S model 100 .. though l have read a topic that relates to a referrence to some literature that came with it new. It refers to reading, regards to half cocking (when breaking/closing the gun) and manually full cocking of the mechanism, and making safe etc

3. Ive managed to find some information on the internet regards too a Greener GP .. there appears to have been some altered manufacturing processes when W&S took over full production .. but lm only quoting what l read today. ... its not that l have personal knowledge or experience of the guns. Thats for others with experience of ownership.

Webley tried to improve the quality of the finish as cost of manufacture increase as did competition from imported guns . The action body was casting and when blacked they tended to go a purple brown colour very quickly so colour hardening was a solution as well as a better looking finish . Over the production run there were a number of alterations as with knock out body pins designed for military use [ease of field stripping ] being replaced with screws and locking pins . I do not recall a specific" de lux" version ever being made during the years I was at Webley's . Basically the GP was wonderful gun based on the Martni Henry army rife , made in many guises for the police , military, as well as the domestic market . There were also a great many ex police and military guns bought up and converted for the domestic market . These often bore P G ,police gun , E P , Egyptian police etc. and had been made for a 13 bore necked case cartridge with a recess around the primer for what appeared to be a double striker so prevent them being use with standard cases .