Gun's and Hotel.

Hesketh

We are planning on going to a game fair down south this summer, I suspect there is a fair chance that I might just somehow be followed out with a new shotgun.

So the question is, if you are staying in a hotel for a few nights what would you do with the gun? Keep it in the boot of the car or keep it in the room? I know you can pop guns into storage at the game fair but not much use if we are away for a few nights after?

Depends where you stay. As above if travel lodge etc.

My parents in law have a hotel in Harwell and hold quite a few shooting parties and are happy to lock guns away with the safe in the back of the office

Hope they have have RFD/SGC otherwise on very dodgy ground. Edited by HDAV

Thanks guys, really did not think about the half and half idea, good call.

Why not buy the gun and get it sent to your local dealer.if you are staying away and having days out are you going to carry parts of the gun around with you.much less hassle.

This is a good idea too I quite like "less hassle" solutions.

Wouldn't a hotel safe allow for unauthorised access unless the key holder had a SGC? If so you could lend the gun for safe keeping for 72 hours provided no-one else had access.

One of the shooting mags covered this as an advice column recently - a google for Shooting Times, BASC or The Field should show up something.

Wouldn't a hotel safe allow for unauthorised access unless the key holder had a SGC? If so you could lend the gun for safe keeping for 72 hours provided no-one else had access.

One of the shooting mags covered this as an advice column recently - a google for Shooting Times, BASC or The Field should show up something.

A hotel room allows unauthorised access!

You have to make the best judgement call you can, is it safer to leave in a hotel gunsafe or in a hotel room, anyone who enters the room has access!

Found it!! Shooting and Conservation (BASC) Nov/Dec 2012 P70 Hotel Room Gun Security by Bill Harriman.

PS) Dekers....did I say use a hotel room? I think not!

It was a general comment based on the topic, not everyone has a car with them, the best security judgement call has to be made by the owner.

:good:

It was a general comment based on the topic, not everyone has a car with them, the best security judgement call has to be made by the owner.

:good:

Quite right Dekers - the main point of the BASC article was to take 'reasonable' precautions but that each situation is different so what a court might judge as a reasonable effort might vary situation to situation and person to person.

I tried a Browning trigger lock once - drove all the way from the Somerset levels to my shoot ouside Builth Wells (2.5 hrs) to stay at a formidable retired lady's B&B. Took my gun out of it's slip for the first drive and *!##??!! .......no key! That learned me! Funny how your fellow guns rip the **** at your misfortune but when they screw up they fall strangely silent!

The trigger lock was only 1 of several alarming moments on that trip. Another was being 2 minutes late for the appointed breakfast time - I nearly received a written warning....you could almost hear the thunder rolling around the hills. I remember getting only 1 egg for breakfast and my chum got 2............

I've stayed in many hotels for work and on some occasions had a gun with me either for visiting a gunsmith or an invite to a shoot.

I have had some very difficult discussions with the manager/security who did not really understand and did not want a gun in their hotel. Consequently, I gave up asking.

I split the gun between car and room. I do not leave the room when gun parts were in there.... food ordered in.

I also did not wander around the hotel with gun cases with "Berretta" or whatever printed on the side and in view even if it was just the stock in there.

If you were staying in a hotel that catered for shooting parties/events I think it may be very different and much easier. The problem I had was managers/security who had knee-Jerk reaction upon hearing "gun". Maybe I was unlucky.

It would be very straightforward to use the rubber protected bicycle locks with cables attached to secure 12 gauge barrels (all the way though) or the trigger guard to something immovable in the car overnight then cover it up so not visible through the windows. The locks are not the best but do offer a bit of a deterrent. Park your car under the security camera and lights.

I had a bad experience at a hotel a few years ago. I specially selected a (not inexpensive) hotel which assured me they had approved facilities for keeping guests guns (this was very much in a 'shooting area'). I gave my gun (in its hard case) to the hotel manager (at the reception desk) to be put in the hotels gun safe. Two days later, when checking out, I requested my gun - and after a delay it was found still in reception under the desk by a clerk who didn't know what it was, but told me it had been there 'a couple of days' - and gave it to me without question. The manager was not present (and I later learned left soon afterwards).

I now do several things;

• Try to separate the barrels and action (car/room)
  • Fit 'barrelbloc' units in the barrels to prevent anything being inserted in the chamber
  • Fit a trigger lock to the gun action
  • Lock any ammunition in a strong steel container
  • Use a steel wire and lock to attach cases to car/hotel fixture (e.g. radiator)

In my view, this amounts to the best 'practical measures' I can reasonably take to ensure safety and security and demonstrates I have considered and carried out protective measures. Its a lot of extra kit and trouble, but I believe that if I did ever end up with something stolen - and in court as a result - I would have been expected to have taken some fairly serious measures to protect the gun - similar to the above.

Edited by JohnfromUK

The napier protector 2 I linked is brilliant it doesn't look like a gun case, it has a staple that goes through trigger guard I secure with a bike lock to something substantial and its easy to take the tubes and forend out often if leaving gun in car I take forend with me and leave the rest locked to load restraint point it will also fit in small boots easily!