Best hunting 22lr ???

Scottoj18

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in a similar situation have just applied for my FAC for .22lr & .17hmr, I've got my eye on the weihrauch and CZ models.

I don't think CZ are as cheap as they once were, at the sportsman gun center the HW60J is £547.00 and the comparable CZ, the 455 16" Varmint is £451.00, yes it's just under £100 difference but I think i'd spend the extra for the weihrauch as it's meant to be a more refined gun straight out of the box, with some very nice wood.

I've got my eyes on the HW60J in .22 and the thumbhole CZ455 in .17, but then I change my mind every other day! :crazy:

It would b the hw60j 16".. The bolt, trigger, safety, mag just feels more refined then the cz .. My gun shop quoted me £700 for the gun a Sirocco SM11 mod, second mag and a few different rounds to try

If you're looking at Weihrauch and you're not going to be wandering around for several hours carrying one, have a look at the HW6 JM

cz style buy new 3 years warranty the style is nickel plated the stock synthetic light weight its great in all weathers can take a few knocks... kit it out with mtc mamba lite scope and a sling...had a few others prefer this to anything else I've owned...got a 455 in HMR the stock check piece (comb) is very low i would love the HMR in a cz style format would swap it in an instance...

cz style

scope mtc

mod sak

sling

spare 10 shot mag

any dealer worth his salt should get you a deal with the money you got to blow...

i wrapped mine in camo it tape as its nickel plated no worries about rust

post-64481-0-90033700-1389910030_thumb.jpg

Edited by sirgoldalot

Thanks for the help.. Iv looked at sako and wow really nice but to much money. A lot have said to spend good money for a good scope but 22 lr is only 100yards max so should I really spend that much.

Its not about how far away the target is. A good scope is about total reliability in holding zero and clarity in my book. I take my .22 out and I am 100% sure the zero is spot on no matter the temperature or if its had a few bumps and bangs on the way out. If I can see a bunny without optics then once I put the S+Bender on it I am confident the image will be clearer than it was to my eye and the aim point totally discernible for the shot to be taken.

Its funny how I and many others often sell a rifle and swap for another but rarely sell a good scope and swap that (though some change scopes more frequently than their underpants) always the same though they tend to like lots of twiddly bits and gimmicks.

If money is an issue spend more on the scope and high quality ammo and less on the rifle itself, you cannot expect to out shoot a well cared for 452 picked up second hand with any newer, more fashionable, better looking or more sort after rifle but all the latter will cost more to purchase, maintain and get spare mags for

Its not about how far away the target is. A good scope is about total reliability in holding zero and clarity in my book. I take my .22 out and I am 100% sure the zero is spot on no matter the temperature or if its had a few bumps and bangs on the way out. If I can see a bunny without optics then once I put the S+Bender on it I am confident the image will be clearer than it was to my eye and the aim point totally discernible for the shot to be taken.

Its funny how I and many others often sell a rifle and swap for another but rarely sell a good scope and swap that (though some change scopes more frequently than their underpants) always the same though they tend to like lots of twiddly bits and gimmicks.

If money is an issue spend more on the scope and high quality ammo and less on the rifle itself, you cannot expect to out shoot a well cared for 452 picked up second hand with any newer, more fashionable, better looking or more sort after rifle but all the latter will cost more to purchase, maintain and get spare mags for

It's not only about reliability and clarity when sourcing a scope.

I remember going out with a guy rabbit shooting at dusk; he had a Zeiss on his rimmy whilst I had my beloved Tasco.... When I could see nothing through my Tasco due to the failing light he was knocking off the rabbits like there was no tomorrow.

I learned my lesson and bought a Swaro the following day.

(I did upgrade the trigger on the hmr to the same two-stage trigger on the .22).

UntiI I read this I didn't know whether it was possible/available or not. Had a chat to D-ED (see Post #21) and as a result got in touch with my local RFD and ordered one. "Do you want a price?" No." Had a call from him this PM saying he thought he'd better check first before placing the order. The thing is, the Importer/Agent has recently changed and this simple little mechanism is now priced well, well in excess of £200. As it would never sit on the shelf my RFD said he'd work around the actual figure but suffice to say it was out of the question. It seems that the UK price difference between the single and double trigger version is in excess of £150. RUAG, they're having a laugh! You can expect to see the Weihrauch sales figures rise in the UK.

Edited by wymberley

UntiI I read this I didn't know whether it was possible/available or not. Had a chat to D-ED (see Post #21) and as a result got in touch with my local RFD and ordered one. "Do you want a price?" No." Had a call from him this PM saying he thought he'd better check first before placing the order. The thing is, the Importer/Agent has recently changed and this simple little mechanism is now priced well, well in excess of £200. As it would never sit on the shelf my RFD said he'd work around the actual figure but suffice to say it was out of the question. It seems that the UK price difference between the single and double trigger version is in excess of £150. RUAG, they're having a laugh! You can expect to see the Weihrauch sales figures rise in the UK.

I checked on the price from Frank Dyke who supplied the two-stage trigger for my hmr and it was £55. Someone, somewhere is having a laugh!

I have always thought that supplying the hmr with a single stage trigger was a rip-off anyway, as the two-stage trigger on the 0.22 is a thing of beauty in operation, the best that I have ever used.

It's not only about reliability and clarity when sourcing a scope.

I remember going out with a guy rabbit shooting at dusk; he had a Zeiss on his rimmy whilst I had my beloved Tasco.... When I could see nothing through my Tasco due to the failing light he was knocking off the rabbits like there was no tomorrow.

I learned my lesson and bought a Swaro the following day.

For clarity, that's what clarity is

I checked on the price from Frank Dyke who supplied the two-stage trigger for my hmr and it was £55. Someone, somewhere is having a laugh!

I have always thought that supplying the hmr with a single stage trigger was a rip-off anyway, as the two-stage trigger on the 0.22 is a thing of beauty in operation, the best that I have ever used.

All the bigger multi brand importers take the mickey out of the UK buyer. To be fair lets see what happens with Europe but the manufacturers in their home countries want volume over an importers profit as recently demonstrated with other brands

I've just e-mailed Anschutz with a couple of pertinent questions and will post the gist of any reply.

Nit pick all day.

For me clarity is different than light pick up at dusk. What the heck....

Sorry not nit picking just explaining what I meant when I stated clarity in my post, obviously you didn't get it for one. A piece of junk plastic lens scope offers fair enough clarity in great light, maybe I should have used an easier explanation in the first place like "you can see clearer in all light conditions"

Edited by kent

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a reply from Anschutz. They didn't sound very happy with the RUAG quote of £270 but said pricing was in the hands of their distributor and mentioned a figure of some 150 euros for a replacement 2 stage. The rifle is now with Neil Chard to see what he can do if anything. If he has no bits, I'm toying with the idea of swapping the 2 stage in the 22 LR with the single stage in the HMR in view of the longer range the latter is used at.