Manual or auto safety?

Oli383

All my guns are S X S with auto safe, barring my trusty hammer gun of course. I have had occasional days loading and would not like to have done this with non auto safety catches. As I understand and I am sure some gunsmith on here will correct me if otherwise, that some top of the range guns incorporate in their safety catches a sear which blocks the triggers AND the firing pins!

Blackpowder

1,Of course it makes a gun more safe because it can't be fired.

2, Every second the gun is in safe mode it is safer. That's why it's called a safety catch.

1: then why is it loaded? Shouldn't be loaded if not ready to fire!

2: every time the safety is applied a loaded gun is left hammers cocked ready to fire if the muzzle is no pointing in a safe direction it should not be loaded!

Safeties mean loaded guns, loaded guns are dangerous! There is more danger from a loaded gun with a safety than an unloaded on without! I would rather no safety at all! Gun is loaded, closed and ready to go muzzles safe and shooter set or it is empty! If muzzles are not safe it should not be loaded!

It shouldnt really matter except on a personal preference basis.
No-one who has either is going to rely on it being on or that its working. Both types of guns can be dropped and discharge. Focus and attention are required both to apply and release safetys - non auto and auto. Anyone who doesnt release an auto safety isnt paying full attention so perhaps they are better using one ?

Well I have learnt a lot about safety tonight.

Tomorrow I will remove all the safety devices on my guns as the "experts" on here are saying they are not required. All my customers will have the same advice. And of course I will have to give up walked up shooting as its so dangerous because when I knock the gun it will go off.

Edited by Oops Missed Again

1: then why is it loaded? Shouldn't be loaded if not ready to fire!

2: every time the safety is applied a loaded gun is left hammers cocked ready to fire if the muzzle is no pointing in a safe direction it should not be loaded!

Safeties mean loaded guns, loaded guns are dangerous! There is more danger from a loaded gun with a safety than an unloaded on without! I would rather no safety at all! Gun is loaded, closed and ready to go muzzles safe and shooter set or it is empty! If muzzles are not safe it should not be loaded!

Some of the previous posts give credence to not having a safety,as has been said above. If you rely on auto safety you are a step closer to having a tragic accident. I haven't read one post arguing for auto safety that has changed my mind, don't rely on the safety catch, that's why I'd rather guns were made without.

Clay shooters what? If you're daft enough to walk around with a loaded and closed gun relying on the safety catch more fool you.........

I imagine most people who rough shoot and walk around with their guns closed rely on good gun handling and muzzle awareness skills, not the safety catch. The safety is just another layer of safeguard. Clay shooters have to stand in little cages and only load up once they're in them, so they don't need to develop any good gun handling skills, as is apparent from some of the replies in this and every other thread on the subject. :lol:

Sorry wasn't meant to go like this :)

Not your fault just every one has their own opinion and arguments start etc

I started a post on this ( how much to get auto safety removed ) bad mistake and wish I never bothered ! Any way only cost £25 from local gun smith.

Just do what you would like to do ! Have one or don't.

All the best

Dom

If this thread is still open later on I'll post some photos of what a safety catch does and how it works so that people can make an informed decision, this needs to be done for safeties sake as reading this thread makes me realise some people rely on the safety to make a gun safe!