bruno22rf

Popped into the above retailer after the old Saab has been wandering off track at speed (despite swearing I would never use them again after they over charged me a few years back) and was told that the front tyres were "a bit naughty" and were due to be changed - was offered a pair of Avons at a "special" price of £260. After the last experience with them I decided to get a second quote so , as they are nearby, I tried Central Tyres . After 5 minutes on the ramp the fitter returned with the news that all the tyres were well within the legal limit with the most worn still having 5.5mm of tread at its lowest point (1.6 is the legal limit)-so the moral of my tale is "Just Tyres"-you are a bunch of moronic con artists (cant say what I really feel cos the words will be deleted).

Why should you have to rely on doing it yourself - you can, but its not unreasonable to expect the truth from a retailer rather than self - interested lies.

I value this information and will not have to go through the same irritation as a result. Thanks Bruno. Good to know there are other 'mystery cutomers' out there willing to share useful info

Bit like kwik fit really, three years ago they told me my brake pads needed changing plus the discs. Price around £600 as they were ABS, changed the pads myself and still running on the same factory fitted discs............no problems although they will need changing soon (57K on the clock). Will do that myself too, don't need to change the full ABS set up, the discs can be changed independently..............Thieving ******.

Guest rimotu66

Why should you have to rely on doing it yourself - you can, but its not unreasonable to expect the truth from a retailer rather than self - interested lies.

I value this information and will not have to go through the same irritation as a result. Thanks Bruno. Good to know there are other 'mystery cutomers' out there willing to share useful info

I agree you should expect the truth from a retailer but that's not how it always works in the big bad world, I also cant understand why the OP could not check the depths himself, its not brain surgery. It is also the drivers responsibility to make sure his vehicle is road worthy that is why you SHOULD rely on doing it yourself.

Did you find out why it was wandering off track at speed? I think that's more worrying then low tread depths.

Edited by rimotu66

walked into kwik **it, asked for a price on a pair michelins 225/45R17 he came back with "£180 each" I said i already had a price of £117 each fitted........................

"Oh well i can do £122 each was the reply"............

Not been in since....

I run my own garage and mot station its a fairly large set up with 6 full time staff and the horrendous stories I hear from customers that have visited national centres is terrible.

I had a lady in just before Christmas that her car had failed the mot emissions on a diesel car, she was quoted £600 by the national garage that did the mot to repair it they told her it need new injectors. I asked to see the emissions sheet and saw that they had tested the vehicle with an engine temperature of 14 degrees I told her this was wrong and I would do an emissions test free of charge just to check it for her as it doesn't take long, the result with the correct engine temperature was a straight pass with 3 blips of the throttle.

she then asked us to mot the car and it went straight through what a con that would have been she went back to complain and they fitted her 2 front tyres that were on 2mm free of charge for the mix up (that's what they called it)

I also had a young girl in only last week went to kwik frit with spongy brakes and was quoted £650 for discs pads shoes cylinders and brake fluid change, we had a look and all it needed was an o/s/r wheel cylinder £66 and she was on her way the discs and pads were well within spec as we measured them for her

the truth is don't use the national centres they are all on commission based wages with a low basic salary and will rip you blind without thinking twice about it, its always best to use a family run business with a good reputation in my eyes

I run my own garage and mot station its a fairly large set up with 6 full time staff and the horrendous stories I hear from customers that have visited national centres is terrible.

I had a lady in just before Christmas that her car had failed the mot emissions on a diesel car, she was quoted £600 by the national garage that did the mot to repair it they told her it need new injectors. I asked to see the emissions sheet and saw that they had tested the vehicle with an engine temperature of 14 degrees I told her this was wrong and I would do an emissions test free of charge just to check it for her as it doesn't take long, the result with the correct engine temperature was a straight pass with 3 blips of the throttle.

she then asked us to mot the car and it went straight through what a con that would have been she went back to complain and they fitted her 2 front tyres that were on 2mm free of charge for the mix up (that's what they called it)

I also had a young girl in only last week went to kwik frit with spongy brakes and was quoted £650 for discs pads shoes cylinders and brake fluid change, we had a look and all it needed was an o/s/r wheel cylinder £66 and she was on her way the discs and pads were well within spec as we measured them for her

the truth is don't use the national centres they are all on commission based wages with a low basic salary and will rip you blind without thinking twice about it, its always best to use a family run business with a good reputation in my eyes

Generally the best advice - however discounts to larger retailers sometimes can save a bit ?

Generally the best advice - however discounts to larger retailers sometimes can save a bit ?

I've used costco for tyres great but only sell michelin and taxi tyres............ Garages can be a minefield, they can pray on the easy, FIL took missus car in to kwik *it, went nuts at me for letting her drive on dangerously low tyres (3-4mm) :no: and paid £600 for 2 new tyres and new exhaust from manifold back............ it had a small hole in mid pipe.......

Moans how much cars cost to maintain........

FInd a good one and stick with them......

Edited by HDAV

I too run my own garage and MOT station.

This subject comes up regularly, I sell lots of tyres, but even if I specially order tyres for someone, if their tread depths are still above 3mm I always advise they have

wear left, 'do you want me to hold off changing?' Most people are so astounded by my honesty they almost disbelieve me!!!

I usually end up showing customers the 20p tread depth check and sending them on their way.

It isnt just the nationals that do the naughty with unsuspecting customers though, we have an independent in town that is terrible for it, trouble is people eventually become wise,

i've picked up lots of customers through being honest and transparent. Its a sad fact that the trade is seen in a bad light, thanks to the big nationals and unscrupulous cowboys etc.

My advice is find someone local, honest and reliable - yes you might pay a little more than if you go to the nationals, but will the nationals fit a bulb at ten past five on a friday when youre leaving on a holiday etc?

If anyone needs tyres etc in south Leics, I'd be happy to help.

Liam.

I did look at the tyres and they seemed ok to me but a quick look on the Saab forum pointed to the tyres being critical on my model and with many people wearing out the fronts in under 10k (I've done just over 8k on the current ones) I thought I would get an expert (?) to have a look. The second fitter at Central seems to think that its a combination of low profile tyres and that my car is known to struggle with the power in sport mode that are the most probable culprits.

I too run my own garage and MOT station.

This subject comes up regularly, I sell lots of tyres, but even if I specially order tyres for someone, if their tread depths are still above 3mm I always advise they have

wear left, 'do you want me to hold off changing?' Most people are so astounded by my honesty they almost disbelieve me!!!

I usually end up showing customers the 20p tread depth check and sending them on their way.

It isnt just the nationals that do the naughty with unsuspecting customers though, we have an independent in town that is terrible for it, trouble is people eventually become wise,

i've picked up lots of customers through being honest and transparent. Its a sad fact that the trade is seen in a bad light, thanks to the big nationals and unscrupulous cowboys etc.

My advice is find someone local, honest and reliable - yes you might pay a little more than if you go to the nationals, but will the nationals fit a bulb at ten past five on a friday when youre leaving on a holiday etc?

If anyone needs tyres etc in south Leics, I'd be happy to help.

Liam.

Liam

I wish you were closer, I now use a firm that come all the way from Milton Keynes to Peterborough to change my tyres while I am at work. Great service and great prices.

They are called GRIPPY and their website is grippy.co.uk