what do I need to start reloading for 243

Ey up lads and lasses,

I am thinking of starting to home load, I have absolutely no idea of how to do it or the equipment I will need. I just need a list of the equipment that i will need to buy to start up, nowt fancy just the basics to start loading my own. Any help off those in the know would be much appreciated,

Be gentle please I am a complete novice, so I just need a basic equipment list, everything I will need to start and finish with a round in my hand,

ATB

Flynny

Equipment List:

Reloading Press

Shell Holder*

Priming Arm

Reloading Die Set*

Scale

Powder Measure

Powder Funnel

Case Lubricant with Pad

Case Trimmer

Deburring Tool

Vernier Caliper or Case Length Gauge*

Reloading Data

Primer Tray

Optional Equipment:

Automatic Primer Feed

Case Neck Brush

Inside Neck Reamers**

Outside Neck Turner*

Drop Tube Funnel

Primer Pocket Cleaner*

Primer Pocket Reamer*

Powder Dribbler*

Bullet Puller*

Loading Block

also power/ primers and bullet heads visit this page http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/pdf/IntroToReloading.pdf atb nick

Edited by remmy1100

Really easy to do.

Just read something like 'Modern Reloading' by Richard Lee and watch some you-tube vids.

After that it a case of getting some accurate load data for your particular powder/ bullet combination ( often the powder manufacturers produce their own) and make a start--- work up your loads from the base settings.

I do it for the cost ( not always cheaper on some mil surplus ) , but more importantly I do it to keep out if the wife's way and have a sense of satisfaction when shooting them.

Definitely the best way forward is to find someone who already reloads and get the basics sorted before you start, its good fun and very satisfying, it costs me a lot more because I know spend a lot more time on the range, think I put about 50 bullets down the range for every deer I shot last year

I bought the lee challenger kit which has just about all you need. After I was up and running I started to add bits and pieces to make thing easier and faster. Have a look at this link and you will see what the kit has and it also has a list of what you will need that is not included.

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/414b151ff382eb1175681929/Lee+Breech+Lock+Challenger+Reloading+Kit+/

When I started reloading I didn't have the luxury of a tutor so had to search out the information by myself. YouTube is a fountain of information and there are great videos on there gfrom the likes of Ammosmith. I then bought the Lee reloading manual and read it from pillar to post.

Before you invest in equipment you need to ask yourself honestly, how many rounds will I actually go through. I reload maybe between 100 - 200 rounds a month and find that the Lee Loader is the perfect tool for me http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_181_474&products_id=1716. You could get a setup with that for around £40 with all the hand tools you need. These are excellent for the beginner as it gives you time to appriciate the process and understand what you are doing. This video shows it in action http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q01OvLbqc

If you are going to load more then the Lee kits are good value for money and I've never had an issue with any of their kit. They come in at about 130 - 200 quid depending on where you buy.

Thanks guys,

The internet is going to get hammered for info over the next few weeks, as I have no one to show me the ropes.Live fast , thanks for the links that lee loader looks the way forward for a beginner" 1 round at a time"

Thanks for all the input so far off everybody, it is much appreciated,

ATB

Flynny

A reloading MANUAL

I've got one of those,

Where are you based mate ? Your more than welcome to tag alot when im reloading can show you the basics and the kit you need.

Thanks for the offer Jim ,but I'm in altrincham in Cheshire, if I was closer I would have popped round,

A very kind offer indeed thanks Jim,

Atb

Flynny

RCBC kit is to be recommended. All useable quality and all you really need (including a guide to loads and using the stuff) besides dies (which obviously pertain to your chosen guns) even when you get picky and fill the house and sheds with gear :rolleyes: . BTW I recommend you only buy a full length sizing die for .243 don't bother adding a neck sizing die and a seating die

I really enjoy reloading. I will say though if you want to make a go of it get middle or good quality dies press and scales or you will just spend twice. It's not like you will loose much if you sell on as they seem to keep there value quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

A few different manuals and the lee loader are definitely a good place to start. You can always work up to better equipment etc once you have the basics worked out. Eye protection is also a must as especially in the early days you are guaranteed to have a primer go off! The one thing I would prepare you for is that it is quite addictive!

If my reply has worked, it should quote two other good replies on here.

When I started reloading I didn't have the luxury of a tutor so had to search out the information by myself. YouTube is a fountain of information and there are great videos on there gfrom the likes of Ammosmith. I then bought the Lee reloading manual and read it from pillar to post.

Before you invest in equipment you need to ask yourself honestly, how many rounds will I actually go through. I reload maybe between 100 - 200 rounds a month and find that the Lee Loader is the perfect tool for me http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_181_474&products_id=1716. You could get a setup with that for around £40 with all the hand tools you need. These are excellent for the beginner as it gives you time to appriciate the process and understand what you are doing. This video shows it in action

If you are going to load more then the Lee kits are good value for money and I've never had an issue with any of their kit. They come in at about 130 - 200 quid depending on where you buy.

+1 for the lee loader it's what I use and as said u can get complete set up for near enough £40 also a bit more satisfying that a press!!