season of "firsts"

take em

what a great season of "firsts" our gang has had.

i've had my first pintail,

my brother his first pintail and golden plover.

John his first gadwall and snipe.

Christian his first shoveler,tufted,gadwall,golden plover and solway pink.

Ryan his first pintail,tufted and pinkfoot.

Lee(his first season wildfowling) gadwall,mallard,shoveler,widgeon,pinkfoot,greylag and canada.

has anyone else shot any "firsts" this season?

although ive shot airguns for twenty odd years im new to shotguns only having my license just over a year so i have seen quite a few firsts for me this year due to a shotgun opening up a whole new list of critters i can shoot.

i had a neighbour who previously id only ever said hello to as i walked past his house see me coming home from clay shooting last summer and we got talking as hes a hunter himself, since then we have become good friends and he talked me it no joining his wildfowling club... best thing i ever did... im scraed stiff of water so wildfowling is probably not the best sport for me but im fighting my way through the scared pooless feeling of wading through marsh water and tripping over hidden logs because i cant swim

ive not had loads in my first season fowling mainly due to myu changing my gun after my first trip and im struggling to get used to it but it has seen me have a greylag as my first bird on the marsh which in his 9 years fowling my mate has never done, he did swear at me a bit over that one. ive had canadas, teal and wigeon and on a trip to a local farm a couple of weeks ago had a mallard

not wildfowl but i had to mention it as it was a first for me. i had my first hare last weekend, i roasted it nice and slow and fair play it was nice and tender but was to strong a flavour for me... their not something i would ever have planned to shoot on a regular basis but now having tasted one theres no chance

i cant belueve the seasons almost over... roll on the next one!

Edited by kiffy

although ive shot airguns for twenty odd years im new to shotguns only having my license just over a year so i have seen quite a few firsts for me this year due to a shotgun opening up a whole new list of critters i can shoot.

i had a neighbour who previously id only ever said hello to as i walked past his house see me coming home from clay shooting last summer and we got talking as hes a hunter himself, since then we have become good friends and he talked me it no joining his wildfowling club... best thing i ever did... im scraed stiff of water so wildfowling is probably not the best sport for me but im fighting my way through the scared pooless feeling of wading through marsh water and tripping over hidden logs because i cant swim

ive not had loads in my first season fowling mainly due to myu changing my gun after my first trip and im struggling to get used to it but it has seen me have a greylag as my first bird on the marsh which in his 9 years fowling my mate has never done, he did swear at me a bit over that one. ive had canadas, teal and wigeon and on a trip to a local farm a couple of weeks ago had a mallard

not wildfowl but i had to mention it as it was a first for me. i had my first hare last weekend, i roasted it nice and slow and fair play it was nice and tender but was to strong a flavour for me... their not something i would ever have planned to shoot on a regular basis but now having tasted one theres no chance

i cant belueve the seasons almost over... roll on the next one!

get yourself to the local swimming baths and learn to swim....my brother didnt learn until he was in his forties and now is a "Canoe nut" out on the rivers all the time and sometimes swims a mile at the baths, he was like you "terrified" of the water!...dont forget..the Death of all fear is..Confrontation!!...ps..enjoy your wildfowling.

best wishes...Dale.

I had my first full body submersion while in full fowling gear. Scared the carp out of me. I don't want to do it again. The gun has made a full recovery after a short stay in the local gunsmiths.

It was my young lab's first full season, so lots of firsts for him - I was as pleased with his firsts as he was!

I had my first shoveler

I still got to add a canada and pintail to the list

nice one,i have quite a few to still get. shoveler,pochard,tufted,golden eye and whitefront

nice one,i have quite a few to still get. shoveler,pochard,tufted,golden eye and whitefront

and golden plover

After 18-20 years of wildfowling and inland shooting I have shot lots of geese, but only inland. Everytime I had geese go over me on the foreshore they have been either too high/wide or I missed. This year on opening day I shot a left and right on Canada geese which are the first Canadas I have ever shot and out of 5 visits I have had two blanks and four geese. The others were pinks, so all I need now is a Greylag and the season will be a cracker. If we had not been getting so many longtailed duck on the estuary I might have also added a pintail to the list of firsts.