A question for all the dry food feeders

ian g

Just interested in everyone else's thoughts on this everyone on here obviously love there dogs like one of the family but would you feed your kids processed food everyday of the week? Now am sure most of us wouldn't do due to all the chemicals , fats ,and the fact it's all processed and the potential health risks of doing this diet long term are there for us all to see.

So why do people feed dry food to there dogs long term when you only have to look at the pack to see the ingredients that get put in to them were there is very little in them that are good for dogs and a massive percentage is bulking agents like wheat there is obvious health effects on some dogs and others show none if very little visible effect I no feeding dry is convenient but what others thoughts on this.

This isn't criticising anyone that choose the dry food route at all iv fed dry food for years just interested in everyone else's opinions on this.

Edited by ian g

The dogs are dogs and i do not think of them as one of my kids and anyone that does is a bit daft.

No i wouldn't feed my kids dried food, just like i wouldn't feed my dogs a Sunday roast.

Some dried stuff is **** but some of it has everything your dog needs to keep it in prime condition.

Every diet has its downside , you prefer raw but there are still risks with it .

Dry and indeed wetfoods have every thing in them that a dog needs to develop and thrive and complete nutritional package is likely to be better than a raw alone diet

There is a misconception that dogs descend from wolves and so raw uncooked food is natural , well we descend from apes but I am not going to live on a diet of bananas !

Every diet has its downside , you prefer raw but there are still risks with it .

Dry and indeed wetfoods have every thing in them that a dog needs to develop and thrive and complete nutritional package is likely to be better than a raw alone diet

There is a misconception that dogs descend from wolves and so raw uncooked food is natural , well we descend from apes but I am not going to live on a diet of bananas !

did we ???

feed mine two different dried foods and he,s growing well and no problems with him at all

atb Evo

I feed a base of dry food with a small amount of wet on top, added to that she gets leftover cooked meat, raw rabbit and pigeon carcases, fish heads, eggs and, by her own free will, rabbit droppings. I can't see my kids volunteering for that diet but a dog will eat all sorts, as long as they get enough protein and a good balance of oils and minerals they will thrive. Plus they will only live to 13-18 years whereas our kids will do that 5 times over so a poor diet in humans is compounded over the years which leads to health issues in the long term.

It was just something I was interested in hearing others peoples views on like I said am not criticising anyone's choice iv fed dry for along time even upto recently with my Victorian bull dog but took her off it she could empty a room iv never smelt farts that bad but on raw food she's fine the farting stopped thank god

As long as your dogs are fit and healthy it really does not matter what they are fed on , I have spent 23 years making wet dog food so know for a fact much what is said about it by self proclaimed experts is tosh

Having said that I feed mine on dry as I find it more convenient , they also get the occasional raw bone to keep their teeth healthy more than for any other benefit

• 11 months later...

Technically we didn't descend from apes that would imply all the other apes are just waiting their turn!! we evolved from a particular breed of ape.

Oh and my dogs eat dry and thrive on it, no volume manufacturer would risk a law suite these days by producing outside of the legislative framework

Technically we didn't descend from apes that would imply all the other apes are just waiting their turn!! we evolved from a particular breed of ape.

Oh and my dogs eat dry and thrive on it, no volume manufacturer would risk a law suite these days by producing outside of the legislative framework

Ditto this. In actual fact humans as we know them share a common ancestor with SOME apes, not all ;) a 'concestor' if you will. Kudos to whoever knows which books I like reading!! Edited by bigbird

I considered it some years ago, after reading how common the additives BHA/BHT ( poss cancer causing) were.

Thankfully the grub I've always fed my dogs( Skinners field and trial) is free of these additives.

Considered feeding raw, but apart from a bit of tripe now and again, I would find it too much of a faff"

I feed autarky and cooked mince from the butchers for our 5 dogs,raw feed in my eyes is for puppy farmers who is breeding that many pups from that many dogs.its the cheapest way they feed but don't look at the consequences behind it ie worming more regular,protine,vitamins and the health of the dogs.a lad I know thinks chicken carcasses is top food the idiot.