Shooting ground membership costs

eeski

Hi - my membership at the local clay ground is up for renewal. There is a marginal discount on clays for being a member but the advantage for me was that as long as I had clays on my card I could just roll up and shoot.

Changes at the ground mean that will no longer be the case - you have to sign in, give your membership card as a security, clays are still discounted with a loyalty bonus of 100 clays for every 1000.

Do you all calculate the cost benefit of memberships or is there some added benefit that membership gives you?

The alternative is to roll up as a guest.

I've totted up the figures and was quite surprised at the outcome !

Over the years I have been a member of several good grounds and have only done so to gain from the discount achieved through regular patronage.

I am now lucky enough to have an honorary membership from the best ground in the country based in Bedfordshire which gives me clays at a discounted rate.

It would depend on if there are any financial benefit to being a member or if the membership is effectively free with the savings you make, I have just had my renewal reminder and it sounds very similar to the original posters, so wouldn't be surprised it it's the same club. I can understand the need to sign in for health and safety , so they know who is on the ground and everybody can be accounted for in case of emergency, however the benefits as far as I can see have been reduced this year with the new loyalty scheme, so with the times I shoot there to the savings I will make over the year, it makes no sense for me to renew this year , I will shoot what I have on my clay mate card but after that will pay as a guest, as I don't shoot the members competition.

Edited by marktattoo

It would depend on if there are any financial benefit to being a member or if the membership is effectively free with the savings you make, I have just had my renewal reminder and it sounds very similar to the original posters, so wouldn't be surprised it it's the same club. I can understand the need to sign in for health and safety , so they know who is on the ground and everybody can be accounted for in case of emergency, however the benefits as far as I can see have been reduced this year with the new loyalty scheme, so with the times I shoot there to the savings I will make over the year, it makes no sense for me to renew this year , I will shoot what I have on my clay mate card but after that will pay as a guest, as I don't shoot the members competition.

Our club makes everyone sign in regardless of being a member or not for that very reason,

:shaun:

Depends on the benefits. Besides discounted clays, Atkin Grant & Lang offer discounted cartridges, 15% discount in the shop, co-membership at their sister clay ground in Oxfordshire, two free member shoots a year - including food (nice hog roast at Xmas), free gun hire, gun storage, access to pattern pate, and other benefits.

Me thinks worsley has lost the plot , ok health n saftey for clocking in n out of ground n no mbrshp cost increase again for yet another year but compared to shooting grounds around the uk it's quite high as it is and the mbrshp reward ain't great , I'm not renewing this year I will roll up as n when as non mbr and try out some of the smaller cheaper grounds , one has just been given the green light by council after lengthy planning application not too far from worsley

Me thinks worsley has lost the plot , ok health n saftey for clocking in n out of ground n no mbrshp cost increase again for yet another year but compared to shooting grounds around the uk it's quite high as it is and the mbrshp reward ain't great , I'm not renewing this year I will roll up as n when as non mbr and try out some of the smaller cheaper grounds , one has just been given the green light by council after lengthy planning application not too far from worsley

It's been ages since I've been to worsley what are they charging ?

It's been ages since I've been to worsley what are they charging ?

£70 for adults per year

12.50 per 50 clays

100 clays free on your birthday

• · 15% discount on clays
  • · Discounts on Cartridges
  • · Discounts on lessons and gun hire
  • · 10% discount in the club shop
  • · 20% discount for veterans and ladies on Wednesdays
  • · 20% discount for juniors everyday
  • · Free club badge
  • · 100 clays if you shoot on your birthday (proof is necessary)
  • · 120 clays for every 100 clays purchased
  • · Monthly club competition

I am a member of two clubs one skeet which costs £25 a year and £3 per round guestsare charged £4.50. the other club is sporting £40 a year and £6 per round 40 birds.guests £9 per round always do 2 rounds when I shoot there.and there is a small trophy at the end of the year for classes.also they put up some bottles at Christmas for a prize shoot.i still shoot competitions elsewhere but overall it saves me a few quid every year.

Can't ever argue health n saftey signing in etc or even fibre wad only , makes sense ok, and fine no mbrshp price increase ( all ready high in my book ) and ok all in all same amount of clays bonus per thousand ( if you count that way in thousands ) for me overall not much benifit in being a member , I'm out !

I was invited to join one ground recently. If I paid the annual fee and the joining fee I discovered the paltry discount on targets meant it would only pay if you shot 2600 targets per season. The members events are still charged at normal members target rate and I was further shocked to discover a condition of entry to these competition was that you "donated" a prize. Given their charges for members are 3p per clay ahead of other grounds guest rates I didn't think it offered very good value. I think I will stick to "straw balers" where my money covers their costs and perhaps enough profit to re-invest in more traps.

I'll also be quitting Worsley this year, not because of the recent changes (I think they make sense). But I just don't go enough to warrant the fees.

I went a brilliant ground in N.Wales last year as a one off, I'm sure it was called Halkyn? A small, friendly and cheap club (compact sporting). If I could find something like this closer to home I'd join there.

Out of interest, does anybody have any information on Cronton Clay Shooting Club?

I'll also be quitting Worsley this year, not because of the recent changes (I think they make sense). But I just don't go enough to warrant the fees.

I went a brilliant ground in N.Wales last year as a one off, I'm sure it was called Halkyn? A small, friendly and cheap club (compact sporting). If I could find something like this closer to home I'd join there.

Out of interest, does anybody have any information on Cronton Clay Shooting Club?

I have never been hear (didn't even know it existed till a few weeks ago) and it's only 10 miles up the road. I'm off this weekend and planning a trip there on Saturday

I have never been hear (didn't even know it existed till a few weeks ago) and it's only 10 miles up the road. I'm off this weekend and planning a trip there on Saturday

If it's the place I went to (and I think it is) you'll enjoy it mate. It was really cheap, something like £5 for 25 compact sporting if I remember right? That was trapped and scored for you too!! Great bunch of blokes there too!