Dead pigeons

kitchrat

Have you ever pattern plated your gun cartridge combination. You might be quite surprised. My pattern plate is 8ft squire and set at 70 yards. Steel plate in the centre which we repaint after each shot. This combination is ideal for my gun set up at the range I shoot at. 7.5s simply have no striking velocity left at that range. 4s with full choke give a good pattern and still hit hard. So you hit and kill or miss. This combination makes close shots difficult. I hope I have helped woodfordpigeon

I reckon you'd be lucky to get 15 pellets in a 30" circle at that range using no.4 shot.

You could drive a bus through the gaps.

If you're really lucky you might get the odd pellet to connect in the birds vitals but frankly I think you need your bumps feeling!!

There's no easy way to say this my friend...but you're talking ****!! <_<

I know your a your a professional pigeon shooter woodfordpigeon and do a lot of crop protection

and I don't doubt you can hit birds at 70 yards

but why would you wont too just decoy them closer

if you were to shot them at 35 yards with that set up the flesh would not be worth eating.

as for kitchrats question I have had a lot of birds with pellets just under skin what I found if you break the skin the pellet as come through the flesh from other side

It's about time that woodfordpigeon retired from the forum.

Forum

We have already has a 80 yard wigeon in the last couple of days and now talk of patterning a gun to shoot pigeon at 70 yards with 28 grams of 4s , its getting less like a forum and more like a care home for the delusional :)

Guest rimotu66

6 for the 1st (quarter choke barrel), 5's in the second (half)

Really :lol:

Forum

We have already has a 80 yard wigeon in the last couple of days and now talk of patterning a gun to shoot pigeon at 70 yards with 28 grams of 4s , its getting less like a forum and more like a care home for the delusional :)

80 yrds, Pah, that's nothing, why only last week I ,,,, blah blah yardy yaah be right back, need my medication :lol:

Why don't the people who talk about shooting at 70 and 80 yards go back to basics and concentrate on field craft, they will find it more satisfying than trying to hit birds at ridiculous ranges ,you try and shoot to your standard of marksmanship, most people would struggle over 40 yards if they are being honest I know a few who can ,but there are a lot who cant .

Guest rimotu66

What's so funny about my chokes/choice of lead???

Nothing really, just cant believe anyone puts different cartridges in top and bottom barrels, I understand the idea behind it but still cant believe people do it, each to there own mate. :good:

Just to add, I actually thought you was taking the urine.

Edited by rimotu66

I would not say its funny , but it must be a lot of messing about using different shot sizes for different barrels , as either will do the job though either barrel why not stick to one ?

All in my head really, but right pocket, right barrel, left pocket, left barrel. If I "feel" I'm making the best use of the double-trigger sxs, that must be good??

All in my head really, but right pocket, right barrel, left pocket, left barrel. If I "feel" I'm making the best use of the double-trigger sxs, that must be good??

Each to their own , but you would be "better getting it in your head" that the 6s will kill pigeon at any range you are likely to want to shoot them at (up to 50 yards) .

I would say a very high percentage of us that do a lot of pigeon shooting use a semi auto so do not have the luxury of two barrels , yet one shot size serves us perfectly well.

But as long as you are happy carry on :good:

Nothing really, just cant believe anyone puts different cartridges in top and bottom barrels, I understand the idea behind it but still cant believe people do it, each to there own mate. :good:

Just to add, I actually thought you was taking the urine.

All in the head!!

PS It's a side by side!! and cartridge selection is not cast in stone if things get busy, it's just believing you have things as sorted as possible.

Edited by kitchrat

Each to their own , but you would be "better getting it in your head" that the 6s will kill pigeon at any range you are likely to want to shoot them at (up to 50 yards) .

I would say a very high percentage of us that do a lot of pigeon shooting use a semi auto so do not have the luxury of two barrels , yet one shot size serves us perfectly well.

But as long as you are happy carry on :good:

As I keep saying, it's all in the head. If you think you are best prepared for all situations, you shoot better. Argue with that if you can...