Random WW2 Blitz question for any oldies

Mentalmac

Hi chaps,

I was just wondering if anybody who may remember or know may be able to satisfy a intrigue I have.

In light of the floods, the government are trying to put pressure on insurance and all that yadda yadda about them paying out for houses damaged. Insurers are refusing to pay certain policies if within 200m of a river etc...

In the blitz, when a German bomber blew your house to smithereens - who paid for the damage? Was it down to the owner of the property?

I suspect that the Government covered war damage.

They certainly do now for terrorist related damage - it is not the same thing I know and times & procedures may have changed.

Whilst I could be classified as an oldie, I am not that old!

A fascinating question......

Did they have the insurance policies like we do now??

Colin

I can imagine it was probably a bit worrying when your whole house went up in smoke and you didn't exactly have google or a smart phone to work out what to do. I'd be stuffed years a go!

Pretty sure house owners got nothing as the insurance wouldn't cover acts of war. Most working class people didn't own their own houses either.

Turns out because of the above Churchill (Winston not the insurance company) set up some kind of reimbursement scheme for when the war ended.

http://histclo.com/essay/war/ww2/air/eur/bob/phase/p3/bof/bli-insur.html

Edited by Nikk

My father told me that there were gangs of builders (largely Irish) paid by the government to effect necessary repairs. Otherwise half the population of London, etc., would have been homeless. His parent's house was across the street from a V1 landing, within days it was fully habitable again. Even if the furniture did have shards of glass where all the windows had been blown out (in)!

One of my customers told me her house was blown up. Her dad had her in his arms, heard the bomb to close to make the shelter so dived under the stairs. Both survived with minor cuts, house not so much. Apparently back then most houses were rent/council properties. And their was a reasonable surplus. Can't remember the reason but remember thinking it made perfect sense. Anyway people would be rehomed in another rental. Dunno what happened to the landlords property rights though. In Liverpool its not uncommon to see a few new or missing houses in a row of terraced houses due to bomb damage from the war

War risks are excluded from all insurances - governments declare war so they pick up costs (or should do). Flood is a standard peril recognised by insurers but also the risk of flooding is a question asked in relation to assessing premiums. If you are at risk of flooding it is a material fact which must be declared ie if the water was lapping up your garden last week but didn't quite cause damage you should make insurers aware. Historical flooding, even if for example you have just moved in but it is know locally that floods have occurred in recent history, should be declared.

I would be very surprised if a river 200yds away, especially if your property had never before been flooded, would mean no cover. There will be more to this.

Pretty sure house owners got nothing as the insurance wouldn't cover acts of war. Most working class people didn't own their own houses either.

Turns out because of the above Churchill (Winston not the insurance company) set up some kind of reimbursement scheme for when the war ended.

http://histclo.com/essay/war/ww2/air/eur/bob/phase/p3/bof/bli-insur.html

I would not say that my mum and dad bought there house new in 1939 3 bed semi my dad was a pattern maker in a factory next door was a painter and decorator another one drove a milk lorry picking up churns his dad a few doors down worked in the dairy another chap was a post man a brick layer a driving instructor even a chap had an old bus that he used as a mobile shop that is all that I can remember and the house cost £350 mind you the pay was not much in them days.

Mind you one of my uncles bought an old house in Bath after the war it was a bit run down but did not cost that much but the council decided to condemn the whole street and redevelop the area he go next to nothing from the compulsory purchase by council in the early 1950.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I would not say that my mum and dad bought there house new in 1939 3 bed semi my dad was a pattern maker in a factory next door was a painter and decorator another one drove a milk lorry picking up churns his dad a few doors down worked in the dairy another chap was a post man a brick layer a driving instructor even a chap had an old bus that he used as a mobile shop that is all that I can remember and the house cost £350 mind you the pay was not much in them days.

Mind you one of my uncles bought an old house in Bath after the war it was a bit run down but did not cost that much but the council decided to condemn the whole street and redevelop the area he go next to nothing from the compulsory purchase by council in the early 1950.

Between 1939 and 1952 only 32% of the entire country owned their own house, including upper and middle class. After 1952 wages started to rise faster than house prices making buying a house more of a possibility.

Between 1939 and 1952 only 32% of the entire country owned their own house, including upper and middle class. After 1952 wages started to rise faster than house prices making buying a house more of a possibility.

You are probably rite I think that it tended to come down to if your parents owned there own house then you thought that buying was an option but if your relatives live in rented houses then you tend to do the same I am not bringing class or type of work in to this its the same as if your parents went to university the children tend to do so as well how cleaver you are has little to do with it.

cueball you are correct......in Liverpool there are still places where odd terraced houses are missing from a row...my grandfather lived in a terraced street near everton fc and a landmine took out a few houses further down the road... the space was there for years.

cueball you are correct......in Liverpool there are still places where odd terraced houses are missing from a row...my grandfather lived in a terraced street near everton fc and a landmine took out a few houses further down the road... the space was there for years.

There is a V1 bomb site just downt eh road from here, my Neighbor's house still has a big crack in the wall although they weren't quite as excited as I was when I told them about it :lol: