Loads for a .308

Cracking cartridge....can be made to work with a wide range of powders.

Favourites of mine were around 45grn+/-1grn of BL-C2 under 150grns.

H4895 is brill from 110grn bullets to 180grn bullets. I use to load 50grns of it ....that will fill a case to the brim mind! So drop back a few first but heck was it fast out a 20" barrel! Beat 243 by a good margin !

I have used H322 under 150 grn bullets and got brill results.

H4350 is a little slow but under a 180-200grn bullet it makes for a smashing kind to shoot thumper!

The fast H4227 (discontinued) will work with light bullets for reduced loads too!

U.

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a good fast flat and accurate shooting 308 round then try the Hornady 3020 130gr SP over 48gr of BL-C2 , it's like using a 270 with out the recoil and very little meat damage . I use this load in my 308 for about 10 years only lost 1 deer with it . Try it , you'll love it.

Cracking cartridge....can be made to work with a wide range of powders.

Favourites of mine were around 45grn+/-1grn of BL-C2 under 150grns.

H4895 is brill from 110grn bullets to 180grn bullets. I use to load 50grns of it ....that will fill a case to the brim mind! So drop back a few first but heck was it fast out a 20" barrel! Beat 243 by a good margin !

I have used H322 under 150 grn bullets and got brill results.

H4350 is a little slow but under a 180-200grn bullet it makes for a smashing kind to shoot thumper!

The fast H4227 (discontinued) will work with light bullets for reduced loads too!

U.

Hi Underdog, Interested in this comment as keen to learn, what did you mean?

I used my 308 for foxes mostly. Throttled back on deer stalking after everyone started telling me I needed a piece of paper from experts to show I knew how to do it!

Anyway. I used the Hornady 110 vmax in a lapua case neck sized. I worked slowly up to 50 grns with not bad pressure sign but had to stop as 50grn filled the case to the top of the neck. Pouring it in slowly helped. This was with H4895. Quite forgiving in 308w.

The compressed loads would often shoot sub 1". During developement I was also getting ready a heavier load for deer ready but could not get the new at the time remmie to shoot a heavy bullet less than 2"! That was untill I noticed rhe bolt handle touches the stock!

So I fixed that and then the rifle shot pretty much any load I cared to put in it however the varmint ammo I had developed opened its groups a little.

I stuck with it though returning a few long shots to 400yds but felt for how often I shoot beyond 200yds these day it was not worth fiddling with anymore.

Anyway. From the 20" barrel it was clocking 3160ish fps. 3/4" high at 100...just under at 200 maybe 2" and around 8" down at 300.

It seemed to me to better any of my 2 243 with wound up 100grn loads and with 10grn more bullet weight and not much more powder and on shorter barrel...hence my earleir comment!

I lost interest 243 years ago. I know folk rave about it but for me it is an over bored varmint round. I doubt I will ever use a 243 again but would gladly get another 308.

Its a personel choice thing. My 243's were happy with 60-70grn bullets , I dont mean accuracy, I mean the whole shooting experience. My 308's on the other hand felt good to shoot with any bullet....even 200grns!

Bet you wish you never asked !

U.

I used my 308 for foxes mostly. Throttled back on deer stalking after everyone started telling me I needed a piece of paper from experts to show I knew how to do it!

Anyway. I used the Hornady 110 vmax in a lapua case neck sized. I worked slowly up to 50 grns with not bad pressure sign but had to stop as 50grn filled the case to the top of the neck. Pouring it in slowly helped. This was with H4895. Quite forgiving in 308w.

The compressed loads would often shoot sub 1". During developement I was also getting ready a heavier load for deer ready but could not get the new at the time remmie to shoot a heavy bullet less than 2"! That was untill I noticed rhe bolt handle touches the stock!

So I fixed that and then the rifle shot pretty much any load I cared to put in it however the varmint ammo I had developed opened its groups a little.

I stuck with it though returning a few long shots to 400yds but felt for how often I shoot beyond 200yds these day it was not worth fiddling with anymore.

Anyway. From the 20" barrel it was clocking 3160ish fps. 3/4" high at 100...just under at 200 maybe 2" and around 8" down at 300.

It seemed to me to better any of my 2 243 with wound up 100grn loads and with 10grn more bullet weight and not much more powder and on shorter barrel...hence my earleir comment!

I lost interest 243 years ago. I know folk rave about it but for me it is an over bored varmint round. I doubt I will ever use a 243 again but would gladly get another 308.

Its a personel choice thing. My 243's were happy with 60-70grn bullets , I dont mean accuracy, I mean the whole shooting experience. My 308's on the other hand felt good to shoot with any bullet....even 200grns!

Bet you wish you never asked !

U.

Nope, glad I asked.

That is a good speed from a 20 inch 308.