Yet another car problem..Mechanics Please advise.

Fisherman Mike

Here the problem..

We have a little MK 1 Clio which the wife and kids use as a runabout...its in exceptionally good condition for the year (95)

Yesterday the wife came back from a shopping trip and complained about a rumbling noise that manifested itself about 20 miles previously when she was on her way back from Cheltenham.

I took it out and then had it up on the jack and the off side front wheel bearing is worn. There is about 1 or 2 mm of play in it.

Question is..... its having a service and MOT on Thursday and I will cancel the service and get them to do the wheel bearing instead. but will it be ok to drive for a couple of days before Thursday ?...I would say including the trip to the garage it would be about 25 or 30 miles.

Second question is although the nearside bearing seems fine should I have this done as well ?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

If, as you say the bearing has worn to 2mm of play within 20 miles! Then I would say get it done NOW! The fact it has degraded so quickly means it is likely to fail fairly quickly also!

I wouldn't want my family in a car which could perhaps lose a wheel.

I wouldn't wait for the service! A wheel bearing is an easy enough job to do DIY!

Good vice or hammer to bray out the old bearing, use the old bearing as a drift for staeting the new bearing using a heavy rubber mallet! Once it has started to go into the hub, use a G Clamp or good vice to press the bearing home, using the OPD bearing as a bush.

Edited by Lord Geordie

If, as you say the bearing has worn to 2mm of play within 20 miles! Then I would say get it done NOW! The fact it has degraded so quickly means it is likely to fail fairly quickly also!

I wouldn't want my family in a car which could perhaps lose a wheel.

I wouldn't wait for the service! A wheel bearing is an easy enough job to do DIY!

Good vice or hammer to bray out the old bearing, use the old bearing as a drift for staeting the new bearing using a heavy rubber mallet! Once it has started to go into the hub, use a G Clamp or good vice to press the bearing home, using the OPD bearing as a bush.

From what I can remember the front bearings are a ####### on the old Clio's A press is recommended :good:

As an ex Renault tech ive done countless bearings on clios, id say, to be blunt,

You have zero chance of getting the bearing casing out without a press. The fact its grumbling means its got very hot and will be in the hub solid.

As for using car mate, only my opinion get it done bud try and avoid using it especially if wife and kids use it.

Hope that helps bud.

Guest rimotu66

If you can do it yourself and have the CORRECT tools, not a vice and hammer then get stuck in, if not and the fact you had it booked in for a service suggests that you arnt get it to your TRUSTED local indy garage and get them to do it, ask them to check the others as well but no need to change the others just because this one has gone.

I would NOT let my g'friend or kids drive it until it is sorted.

Edited by rimotu66

Rimo!

I have done a fair few bearings in my time! Renault, ford, vauxhall, Peugeot etc and a good heavy vice was ALL i needed until they brought out the bearings which encapsulated the ABS sensors! Then it started to break the magnetic sensors! Driving out an old bearing with a mallet has always worked for me! Then used a heavy engineering vice to act as a press and used the old bearing as an aid to help press the new bearing in without damaging it on the face of the vice!

An engineering vice can put a LOT of tons of pressure onto a bearing to seat ot well.

I now have a Kit from Fleabay that cost £90 that will draw out and pull in new bearings. A doddle to use!

Here the problem..

We have a little MK 1 Clio which the wife and kids use as a runabout...its in exceptionally good condition for the year (95)

Yesterday the wife came back from a shopping trip and complained about a rumbling noise that manifested itself about 20 miles previously when she was on her way back from Cheltenham.

I took it out and then had it up on the jack and the off side front wheel bearing is worn. There is about 1 or 2 mm of play in it.

Question is..... its having a service and MOT on Thursday and I will cancel the service and get them to do the wheel bearing instead. but will it be ok to drive for a couple of days before Thursday ?...I would say including the trip to the garage it would be about 25 or 30 miles.

Second question is although the nearside bearing seems fine should I have this done as well ?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Wife and kids car........ do the job ASAP

Guest rimotu66

Geordie,

I have done plenty as well using the vice and hammer method, have even used sockets etc and threaded bar to extract and fit bearings. My point was to the OP, he had his car booked in for a service which is a simple task to most people handy with spanners so I had to doubt his mechanical skills (I could be wrong), the car in question is used by his Mrs and kids so I thought it better to advise he takes it to a garage to have done.

He said he was going to get the garage to do it anyway, you suggested that he did it himself as it is, quote 'an easy job', are you going to rush to his house to put things right when he makes a Horlicks of it?

Just my opinion obviously. :good:

Have you a link to this flea bay device Geordie please? I'll be interested to see what it is?

Thanks Jamie

Rimo!

I have done a fair few bearings in my time! Renault, ford, vauxhall, Peugeot etc and a good heavy vice was ALL i needed until they brought out the bearings which encapsulated the ABS sensors! Then it started to break the magnetic sensors! Driving out an old bearing with a mallet has always worked for me! Then used a heavy engineering vice to act as a press and used the old bearing as an aid to help press the new bearing in without damaging it on the face of the vice!

An engineering vice can put a LOT of tons of pressure onto a bearing to seat ot well.

I now have a Kit from Fleabay that cost £90 that will draw out and pull in new bearings. A doddle to use!

Geordie,

I have done plenty as well using the vice and hammer method, have even used sockets etc and threaded bar to extract and fit bearings. My point was to the OP, he had his car booked in for a service which is a simple task to most people handy with spanners so I had to doubt his mechanical skills (I could be wrong), the car in question is used by his Mrs and kids so I thought it better to advise he takes it to a garage to have done.

He said he was going to get the garage to do it anyway, you suggested that he did it himself as it is, quote 'an easy job', are you going to rush to his house to put things right when he makes a Horlicks of it?

Just my opinion obviously. :good:

I get you :good:

Never thought of it that way!