What you growing this year ?

Fieldsports

When I got my allotment it was a total mess,it has took me 2yrs to get it in shape.My 1st year I lost almost everything due to water so have spend loads of time on drainage and soil preparation . Hopefully this year I may get better crops . Potatoes, carrots,parsnips,pea pods, runner beans,shallots onions,broccoli, spring cabbage.Chickens settled in well.

post-30855-0-20553300-1394489654_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-70074500-1394489665_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-94449900-1394489679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

When I got my allotment it was a total mess,it has took me 2yrs to get it in shape.My 1st year I lost almost everything due to water so have spend loads of time on drainage and soil preparation . Hopefully this year I may get better crops . Potatoes, carrots,parsnips,pea pods, runner beans,shallots onions,broccoli, spring cabbage.Chickens settled in well.

What a cracking pitch you have there. I would love that.

I have to do do my taties in buckets as I am all lawn apart from a huge concrete pad where I grow in two greenhouses.

All other stuff is in pails.

Grew King Edwards last year done OK apart from the buckets the rats burrowed in and ate them.

I caught the little ******* in a trap though.

Not sure of what taties to put in this year ?

Something with Big yield, Big Potato, and not to sweet..I will think about it.

Picking up a beast master rotorvator tomorrow, by tea i will have destroyed the soil structure, by dark i will have destroyed the rotorvator. Tomorrow i'll put in a few crooked lines of onions and in a weeks time i'll have lost interest. The perfect dad trap will then be set, his horticultural OCD will ensure the rest of the patch will be completed impeccably. He'll weed it and water it all season if i play my cards right.

Picking up a beast master rotorvator tomorrow, by tea i will have destroyed the soil structure, by dark i will have destroyed the rotorvator. Tomorrow i'll put in a few crooked lines of onions and in a weeks time i'll have lost interest. The perfect dad trap will then be set, his horticultural OCD will ensure the rest of the patch will be completed impeccably. He'll weed it and water it all season if i play my cards right.

I am the opposite...LOL

I have the OCD, can not let a weed or anything not supposed to be there live.

I even do regular slug and snail patrols using the "stamp on them" method, pellets and beer drowning pots.

My head torch goes like hell until the growing season ends looking for them horrible little *****.

Thousands round here a real problem for me I need to keep on top of them.

They even get past my salt barriers at the greenhouse doors sometimes.

I hate them !

Haha ack ack

Thats what happened to me my son put his name down for an allotment and had to wait 5yrs.When he got the keys he asked me to help,her in doors took herself off to buy loads of plants and I hadn't even put the bloody spade in.So it was the perfect dad trap,but I love it once all the hard work was done(2 weeks laid up with a bad back)Love going round and collecting fresh eggs every day and generally pottering on.

Edited by Davyo

Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chillies, asparagus in big tubs, potatoes in sacks, raspberries in big tubs. In the greenhouse I grow in compost bags, with green plastic growing rings, bigger than grow-bags and keeps the moisture more constant. Strawberries in hanging baskets. :good: Also loads of flowers.

On the downside, slugs, snails and molehills... :sad1:

Mike.

I am the opposite...LOL

I have the OCD, can not let a weed or anything not supposed to be there live.

I even do regular slug and snail patrols using the "stamp on them" method, pellets and beer drowning pots.

My head torch goes like hell until the growing season ends looking for them horrible little tw*ts.

Thousands round here a real problem for me I need to keep on top of them.

They even get past my salt barriers at the greenhouse doors sometimes.

I hate them !

You should start a Forum called SW(SLUG WATCH)

So far Mrs S is planning on tomatoes, she had a decent yield last year. She is also going to have another try at peppers of some kind, failed totally last year, she then needs to decide what else to put in the greenhouse. We now have another 65 (ish) sq metres to get ready but the land is a mess, reckon it will take a year to get it sorted. Five elder stumps to take out, knackered me a couple of years ago removing 4 conifer stumps.

Mrs S has the green fingers and I have the donkey lugs.

I bought some strawberry plants last your from aldi for a couple of quid.

They go mental....you end up with way too many plants once the runners start.

I have kept about a dozen plants in buckets for this year.

Would love to grow garlic but it takes ages to mature I think.

Steve

Garlic's not too bad to grow - I tried it once. You plant the bulbs in Autumn / early winter, then don't harvest until the leaves turn yellow. (Next year, or even the year after if you plant them too late).

I got a bit keen and harvested mine too soon - they were only a bit bigger than when I planted them! Still tasty though. People seem to like elephant garlic - I think it grows a bit slower, but has bigger bulbs and a different taste. Never tried it myself.

Garlic's not too bad to grow - I tried it once. You plant the bulbs in Autumn / early winter, then don't harvest until the leaves turn yellow. (Next year, or even the year after if you plant them too late).

I got a bit keen and harvested mine too soon - they were only a bit bigger than when I planted them! Still tasty though. People seem to like elephant garlic - I think it grows a bit slower, but has bigger bulbs and a different taste. Never tried it myself.

Garlic has been a disappointment for me, it hates my ground. I'm going to grow it in window boxes this year so i can engineer the growth medium and hopefully salvage some pride.

I bet the Greeks do it better AA.

Garlic here is surprisingly easy. Massive bulbs the size of tangerines and really smelly.

We harvested maybe 40 roots of this size last year. However, for some reason, our tomatoes are rubbish. Potatoes love the ground but we get lots of little slug? holes in them. Just finished using the last of the main crop.

Starting seeds and onion sets tomorrow.

Ive heard the greeks have some orthodox methods.

What varieties should i be looking at?

Theyve been so pants in previous years i was thinking of chitting a monster bulb i picked up at a market.

I'll have a look and post later.

Ive heard the greeks have some orthodox methods.

What varieties should i be looking at?

Theyve been so pants in previous years i was thinking of chitting a monster bulb i picked up at a market.

Not sure how 'monster' it is.... elephant garlic looks big fun but does not have the flavour. I buy bulbs from my seed man but do not know the name. Sorry.

dorset nagas, scotch bonnets and apache f1 chilli's in the greenhouse along with aubergines, toms and cucumbers. Outside in the beds, lots of salad leaves, carrots, green beans, broad beans and some other stuff yet to be decided. I might try fennel and garlic again but haven't ever had any success with either