.25 delight!

Underdog

Totally agree. A works colleague of mine, bought his son a Hatsan Striker 1000S in .22 caliber, and said it was excellent value for money. The trigger was the only 'fault'.

The triggers are easy to do with a stone or just some wet and dry on steel bar of sorts, you don't have to remove the trigger unit from the action! :good:

Do you feel it kills stuff any deader at suitable ranges than a .22 with equal placement? Always been tempted and if I found a .25 barrel for the BSA lightning we have here I should give it a try for the heck of it (having tried all the other three extensively), I just cant see it being any more capable

what problem do you get with the trigger

No problem! Just heavy and creepy.

Do you feel it kills stuff any deader at suitable ranges than a .22 with equal placement? Always been tempted and if I found a .25 barrel for the BSA lightning we have here I should give it a try for the heck of it (having tried all the other three extensively), I just cant see it being any more capable

No not really any different at all....just a bit different that's all.

Well done U. I've shot a load of crows, magpies, rats, squirrels and even mink with my .25 striker. I don't think you could beat them for the price. It spends most of its time in the truck, so tends to get used when opportunity arises, just because it's there to hand really. It's put more vermin down than I realise until I start to think about it a bit. It's been worth every penny to me, and I'm not worried about scratches or marks, knocks etc. ideal.

I thought the Hatsans had a good quattro trigger system , I have the model 60s in .22 but have two BSA supersports and a Falcon FN19 in .25 cal and I am sure at suitable range

it kills cleaner than .22 , I have shot many rats at night with the lamp and compared my AA S200 and BSA ultra both in .22 cal to my .25 Falcon and kills are instant with the .25 cal.

I thought the Hatsans had a good quattro trigger system , I have the model 60s in .22 but have two BSA supersports and a Falcon FN19 in .25 cal and I am sure at suitable range

it kills cleaner than .22 , I have shot many rats at night with the lamp and compared my AA S200 and BSA ultra both in .22 cal to my .25 Falcon and kills are instant with the .25 cal.

I find this quite interesting as I think there is something in the extra shock of a larger diameter projectile and its "slower? rate of penetration" we cannot explain by pure mathematic calcs. In theory .177, .20 and .22 all should kill equally with the same kinetic energy at point of impact but having used all three extensively I do believe the .22 has an edge and wonder how far you might be able to take this theory and .25 is the only one I have never hunted with

I find this quite interesting as I think there is something in the extra shock of a larger diameter projectile and its "slower? rate of penetration" we cannot explain by pure mathematic calcs. In theory .177, .20 and .22 all should kill equally with the same kinetic energy at point of impact but having used all three extensively I do believe the .22 has an edge and wonder how far you might be able to take this theory and .25 is the only one I have never hunted with

I agree and is hence the basis for me never ever rating ft/lbs as a bench mark for any kind of performance in the field be it a pair of spraggs or a .600NE!

U :)

I've been using the lighter .25 pellets, marksman, pylarm as they're around 18 grains, they aren't much heavier or slower than an average .22 but have the added advantage of the larger surface area of the .25. It's not very scientific, but if you shoot at tin can with a .25 you can tell the difference by how it smacks and knocks the can compared to .22. Heavier .25's though, are a bit slow, so probably better suited to FAC rated guns. Just my opinion.

I've been using the lighter .25 pellets, marksman, pylarm as they're around 18 grains, they aren't much heavier or slower than an average .22 but have the added advantage of the larger surface area of the .25. It's not very scientific, but if you shoot at tin can with a .25 you can tell the difference by how it smacks and knocks the can compared to .22. Heavier .25's though, are a bit slow, so probably better suited to FAC rated guns. Just my opinion.

More and more these days I find i am appreciating things for what they are, an airgun is a great tool for controlling pests were a more powerful gun like a .22 rf is not suited. For me this means no greater than 30-35 yards on Rats, ferals etc. I can see the use in a sub 12 ft lb two five as regards quick efficient kills with minimum penetration. Although unscientific the can might mean as much or more than the chronograph.

Hi guys ,, nice looking gun underdog ,,, I always use my bsa xl tactical .25 when vermin hunting ,,awesome gun ,and always kills first shot,, had bunnies at 35 yards no problem ,,would never sell it,, great looking guns,and do the job perfectly well .

Regards camski (Paul)

Ayoop Paul. I miss my xl tac', it was a 22 but often wondered about a 25 back then!

As Kent said, I too am seeing things differently now'a days, I prefer to get closer, my flintlock encourages this and the 357 and the .25 air gun. I am on more equal terms with the quarry :good:

range doesn't really come into it when lamping rats at night as once you are set up its a bit like pigeon decoying , I suppose most are shot within a range of 10 - 20 yds but you can see immediately the difference , don't get any creeping off I use Bisley field and have used the heavier pest control as long as you rezero in .25 , ok I know if you using right weight of pellet (hollow point even) and good shot placement even with .177 it will kill them but I have shot all calibres of airgun and even some with rimfire but the .25 in my book has been the best , never tried them on bigger pests though but I suppose with a lighter pellet and keep within 25 yds would be ok , try shooting different calibres at a pumpkin and you will see how different the .25 is , I have often thought about one one f.a.c. but then you might as well use a short rimfire round .