Skoda Fabia - any opinions

safc1973

I have the 1.4 petrol, hatchback on a 58 plate. Bought it second hand about 18 months ago, and have run it as my only vehicle ever since.... I'm a big fan.

For what you are likely to pay, it's a darn good little car. I was in an older model Focus before, and the first thing you notice on getting in the Fabia is how "planted" on the road, and how solid the drive feels in comparison. This is surely a product of the VW chassis and running gear. In fact everything below ******* level is made by VW, as are all the interior controls, and most bits under the bonnet have VAG stamped on them somewhere as well.... Yet it's a lot cheaper than a Golf!

I don't do huge mileage, my round trip to work is only about 7 miles each way though the back lanes, and I generally get about 42 mpg in the summer, and maybe around 38mpg in winter with the lights and heating full on etc. I do have a thrash down to Devon about three times a year to see family, and if you drove at a steady 60 mph on A-roads you get over 50 mpg.... But who really drives like that! ... On the motorway I average 70-80mph like most people, and get around 45 mpg with just me and the luggage.

It had 17,500 miles on it when I got it, and has been ultra-reliable ever since. I know it's still low mileage, now up to around 35,000, but I've not had a single problem with it... Not one....Bottle of oil once a year, and puff of air in the tyres is all she needs.

It's also very comfortable. I'm 6'3" and can feel cramped in small hatches, but you don't get that sense in the Fabia as the roof is a couple of inches higher than most. Passengers often comment how it actually feels like a bigger car on the inside than it looks on the outside. Seats are good with plenty of leg room, and I have no problem getting all the shooting & hide kit in the back with the rear seat down.

Like all cars though there are a few downsides, but nothing major.

1. It suffers from external wind noise. Something about the design of the front windscreen pillars means that if you drive with the window open it sounds like a howling gale. Skoda know this, and do some easily fitted clear perspex wind shields that clip in the upper window channel and these help quite a bit. Plus they keep the rain out if you are driving with the window cracked open to avoid misting up. I bought a set from the local main dealer for around £26.00, cheaper than the knock off ones on flea-bay.

2. Engine performance. Look, it's a 1.4..... It's perfectly capable and actually sounds quite throaty for a small lump, but quick away from the lights it is not. It cruises nicely at 70, but you won't be burning anyone off at junctions. ...Unless you get the VRS version which I'm told is really pretty rapid for the price. Can't speak for the diesel TDI version as I don't do enough miles to need diesel.

3. The interior is of a good build quality, all very chunky & solid with nice textured surfacing. Again mostly copied from VW, and a million times better than the plastic Hyundai and Corsa I looked at first. Design wise though inside the Fabia 2 it does perhaps look a bit dated. I would hope the new Fabia 3 has had an overhaul of the radio knobs and air vent controls for example, to look a bit more contemporary.

.......All in all, I get cheap, reliable, trouble free motoring from mine, in comfort, and without hassle..... I'm not a petrol-head, but am seriously thinking about the VRS in a year or so..... Is that sad, aged 46 ???

If you want to know anything specific, just ask me.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I have a Fabia 1.9 diesel VRS (2005 plate) and had it for 7 years.I cannot fault it to date.It isn't quick off the mark but will catch pigeons in third gear assuming I can find one currently.Service it every year and not a single problem to date.

Trip computer registered 65 mpg over a 55 mile round trip the other day so quite frugal if driven with care.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Skoda cars with my experience of this one.

Edited by Good shot?

My eldest son has owned a 1.9 diesel version for about 3-4 years now , It has done about 170k now and still goes well and returns good economy . I think the only major job he has done on it , was fitting a new clutch last year , other than that it has been mega reliable . Considering getting one for the wife to run around in .

Thanks for your help guys - my parents are considering buying one and i didnt know much about them but looks like i will recommend it after reading your views.

PS as below - no its not sad, I'm 46 as well and after reading the brochure quite fancy one of those as well - thanks for taking the time to review the car.

.. I'm not a petrol-head, but am seriously thinking about the VRS in a year or so..... Is that sad, aged 46 ???

.... I'm not a petrol-head, but am seriously thinking about the VRS in a year or so..... Is that sad, aged 46

Not at all. I bought an 06 diesel 1.9 vRS when I was in my late 50's.

Great fun

However I've since found that the Hyundai i30 diesel 1.6 drives much the same and is less smokey