Glass bedding

team tractor

Good videos :)

I just can't see how it makes a gun more accurate ???

Well if the gun already shoots real well it wont make it better just make it hold its set zero better. When it makes a gun shoot better (as bedding often does) it is correcting little faults in the action inlet, giving full recoil lug contact and removing stress from an action not in full contact to the stock (think of a see-saw). The action can suffer bad harmonics as much as a barrel might. It most importantly isolates movement of the stock from effecting action fit (more when pillars are fitted with the synthetic bed).

Signs of a gun that needs bedding is a constant zero creep day to day or a rifle that seems on fire one day and only just average the next

More a cf thing than rf tends to have more affect with the larger harmonics from the larger recoil

ive done it before on my rimfire as the boyds stock i bought was terrible, im about to do it again too in to a standard stock as it has a few issues on the inlet for the barrel channel. plus i just fancy tinkering with it. its my main bunny gun so i see no harm in it shooting to its full potential.

There are a few ways of doing most things, In General a good enough vid. I will bet the guy in question was bedding rifles from the 60's and has picked up on a few ruses in the last 40- 50+ years. I might not do it the same as he does but its certainly not my place to critic him after a mere decade of bedding jobs as a part time enthusiast.

The advantage of plastic stocks is they are cheap to make and very little else. They offer no advantages over other materials and are sadly often stuck with the problem of being horribly flexible in the forend. Once they spend their ten of thousands $$$ tooling up to injection mould them, they rarely see the error of their ways and beef up the designs as they are pretty much stuck. Sometimes they mould and stick extra bits on them to make them look more sturdy (tikka T3 varmint for example) but these band-aids have zero mechanical effect

In theory, the plastic will not move and swell with moisture/humidity changes, is this just a gimmick then?

In theory, the plastic will not move and swell with moisture/humidity changes, is this just a gimmick then?

Different plastics react to different conditions, I would imagine that the process is governed by cost more that the end product,

as I know you can make real **** into plastic pipe and non will be the wiser.

Wood is well wood no additives. ;)

For example if you have a **** product over mould it with something nice. Fill out the plastic with air by using blowing agent that forms a honeycomb structure. You can even fill the gaps with foam core or filler to save on materials

But market it as an ultra light ;)

Job jobbed sit back and collect.

I will stick with wood at lest I know what it is ;)

Is the advantage of plastic stocks, avoiding all this wood movement problem?

actually they lack stability and take bedding poorly. some have even been known to be damaged by the heat of the sun, yeah they move a lot (a commonly made misconception is they are stable). Without talking a showpiece rifle when only the best grade wood will do I rate stocks like this 1. carbon composite 2. laminate 3. solid hardwoods 4. sorry I wouldn't have one.

Others like them they are welcome to that view but for me they are only good for a hard working shotgun

I must admit watching the video I noticed that little wood was removed and it all looked very neat and tidy, my stock inlet looked like a jack Russel terrier had chewed on it for a week my pillar recesses were considerably larger too. I was under the impression that the Devon I used was to bond as much as possible and stay like that for good. it seemed the amount in the video was only 1.5mm at the most rather thin I could see that cracking at the first knock, and as fister commented whats holding the pillars in?

Yes Kent the chaps probably bedded more rifles than I have women but I see it as an advertisement rather than an information video.

I agree there are several ways of doing jobs correctly but showing customers how to it the way their tools dictate is sadly wrong. You will never accurately drill a hole for a pillar, therefore you always allow it to float and allow the bedding compound to take up the gap without any stress. The pillars are just as important as the action. You also note that the way he fits the escutcheon, tolerances are controlled by a piece of masking tape wrapped around his drill bit

Heck its a sales vid just like the gear reviews in the comics that get reviewed by the importer / distributer before issue there is a degree of bias. Could argue about this all day long but suffice to say the guy is no fool places like Midway and Brownells have some very experienced guys on their staff

Oh dear looks like I open a can of worms with that one.

maybe should of put this link in not a bad example. http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html.

Heck its a sales vid just like the gear reviews in the comics that get reviewed by the importer / distributer before issue there is a degree of bias. Could argue about this all day long but suffice to say the guy is no fool places like Midway and Brownells have some very experienced guys on their staff

Kent has a point look at some of the other videos he does some very good work and explains what he's doing very well.

going back to the OP glass bedding helps get every last bit of consistency out of a rifle. My latest rifle shoots to the same POI from any type of rest so I will be doing the next one too.