moving to new address but need to keep guns where they are

rabbiter

ok guys,ive done relevant searches and didnt find the answer,i have rang BASC and got some answers,but just want to know if anyone has done this...im moving to a new address but cant bolt cabinets to walls,so want to leave them at my partners house where they are now,Northern region officer at BASC said couldnt see a problem as he knows a few cases like this,but ring FEO and see what they say,he said ring him back as he was interested in their response,so i did and they said "its our policy the guns move with you",new place isnt as secure to be bolting cabinets to walls as house would be empty all day while im at work,whereas my partner works evenings,when id be there babysitting,"doesnt it have a garage to secure them?"...yes it does but even less secure while im out all day.."sorry but thats our policy" he says..rang basc back and he said there were policies and then there was law...ring BASC Firearms he said..Matt at BASC firearms said same,nonesense...send my certs for amendment with covering letter and let me know what happens,then if no joy he said "ill be on it straight away"...so again has anyone been faced with this scenario and what happened? thanks in advance guys

DAZ

When I moved out of my parents to my house, about 14 years ago I left my cabinet at my parents, spoke to the firearms dept first and they said write a letter stating this and it would be fine as long as they had no access to the key as Dad had given his licence up, then when I moved the cabinet to mine I wrote a letter saying so and they came and inspected cabinet and everything was fine.

I know this was a few years ago but I can't se why it would be any different now,hope this helps,

barney

Did likewise...

Had cabinets at parents place...then when I moved away to work I left them in place, then did the same while I was away at Uni., then also after I moved in with a woman as the area she lived in was less than ideal to have guns around...

Never been told it was an issue, nor see why it would be

IS the move a "change of permanent address" ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262215/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v6_Nov_2013.pdf

10.33 The Firearms Rules 1998 prescribe certain conditions subject to which firearm certificates shall be held, the main object of which is to impress upon certificate holders the importance of ensuring the safe custody of firearms and ammunition. Failure to comply with certain conditions may result in revocation, however each case must be determined on its merits. These conditions are set out below:

(iii) the third condition requires the certificate holder, without undue delay, to notify any change of permanent address to the chief officer of police who granted the certificate.

Edited by HDAV

I had similar. Licence at one address with storage, Guns also stored at another I also owned (not listed on licence). They were not happy even though I was at the second during the day having left the licenced address un-occupied for more than 12 hrs. To be fair I could see some point to their argument and decided not to push it, these days with the rubbish I have had to put up with from them I should be a lot more difficult about things.

If where they are kept now is deemed as secure I can't see how you living elsewhere changes that as its still occupied and surely you are still holding up your responsibilty to ensure security? I'm no expert or pretend to be but this seems fairly clean cut to me?

Good luck

i went as far as to contact the PCC for my area,her secretary rang firearms dept for me,still said its their policy that the guns must go with me,rang basc back,they said if i want them to pursue it for me they would but would rock the boat as far as my variation application is concerned,so looks like ill be making arrangements to fit the security,basc were surprised that northumbria had this policy in place,but hey ho,now i know,all forces are different in their firearms policies,nothings ever clean cut i suppose...DAZ