Ex Military types using their rank when retired

keg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is generally accepted that Major and above can be used after retirement,there are some lower ranks used in certain instances.

http://www.debretts.com/forms-address/professions/armed-forces/army/retired-and-former-officers

A story,

When doing guard duty one cold December night,a woman came to the gates ,she was very drunk and had no id,the day before the RSM had got the guard together and stated "no id no entry",now i knew this woman was a captains wife, and he was a tit,she was a snob,i asked for id and she then discovered she didn't have any.She argued for a while and then made the famous statement "don't you know who i am,i am Mrs Captain Smyth" i politly pointed out she had not gone to sandhurst, she did not have a commission,and what was more she was just a plain Mrs and one without id,and i walked away from the gate,she left in a huff.

The next morning the Captain arrived and he was livid,asked for the person who refused to let his wife in and then started to rant at me as i stood to attention,but it was short lived as a big booming voice asked to have a word,it was the RSM.The conversation they had was very loud,mainly from the RSM tearing the Captain a new one and reminding him that the RSM was responsible for discipline and security in the camp, he had issued an order and that had been complied with,the last comment was beautifully delivered,"with respect sir your wife is a civilian a stupid one at that ,and with your reputation i think you are not far behind"

I was told off by the RSM in private for not using my initiative and letting her in,you can't win sometimes.

Edited by welsh1

It is generally accepted that Major and above can be used after retirement,there are some lower ranks used in certain instances.

http://www.debretts.com/forms-address/professions/armed-forces/army/retired-and-former-officers

A story,

When doing guard duty one cold December night,a woman came to the gates ,she was very drunk and had no id,the day before the RSM had got the guard together and stated "no id no entry",now i knew this woman was a captains wife, and he was a tit,she was a snob,i asked for id and she then discovered she didn't have any.She argued for a while and then made the famous statement "don't you know who i am,i am Mrs Captain Smyth" i politly pointed out she had not gone to sandhurst, she did not have a commission,and what was more she was just a plain Mrs and one without id,and i walked away from the gate,she left in a huff.

The next morning the Captain arrived and he was livid,asked for the person who refused to let his wife in and then started to rant at me as i stood to attention,but it was short lived as a big booming voice asked to have a word,it was the RSM.The conversation they had was very loud,mainly from the RSM tearing the Captain a new one and reminding him that the RSM was responsible for discipline and security in the camp, he had issued an order and that had been complied with,the last comment was beautifully delivered,"with respect sir your wife is a civilian a stupid one at that ,and with your reputation i think you are not far behind"

I was told off by the RSM in private for not using my initiative and letting her in,you can't win sometimes.

Brilliant!!

A story,

Who says chivalry is dead? Turned away a woman in need of assistance on a cold dark night.

That's a story to tell the grand kids...

Who says chivalry is dead? Turned away a woman in need of assistance on a cold dark night.

That's a story to tell the grand kids...

You have probably never had to stag on and be abused by drunken squaddies and even worse the spawn that are pads wifes,they are evil when drunk and will abuse you something awful,they live in a military bubble where life is far far away from what civilians get up to.

If you had been put in charge of a camp gate that was a target for terrorist attack and been told no id no entry, then had a drunken stuck up wife who knew she had to have id to get in as the letter sent to all quarters in the garrison informed them of the fact,but because she thought she was special and it didn't apply to her she could abuse me and tell me she would have me jailed because she could not comply with an order,you would still let her in. i don't think so.

And a few months later terrorists did get into the camp and blew part of an accommodation block up,they didn't try the front gate as they knew that soldiers doing the guard duty were switched on and if you didn't have id you didn't get in. :)

My dad never used his rank after being demobbed but he used it occasionally, when asking for a mortgage for example - he was proud of his service and the rank of captain was hard won at 22 and he felt it showed he was "an officer and a gentleman", and thus trustworthy.

I agree with his view.

My dad never used his rank after being demobbed but he used it occasionally, when asking for a mortgage for example - he was proud of his service and the rank of captain was hard won at 22 and he felt it showed he was "an officer and a gentleman", and thus trustworthy.

I agree with his view.

Fair play to him to be honest. I don't have an issue with it, after all, Fawlty Towers wouldn't been the same without The Colonel, and let us not forget Captain Peacock from Are you Being Served?

On a serious note , older people in this country struggle enough to have an identity sometimes, and if a retired officer is proud of his service and wants to use his rank in social life, at the Rotary Club etc, then fair enough I say.

In the late 60's a very nice ex-military gentleman who was taken on by a Birmingham company as a sales manager. Poking around on the factory floor he was challenged by a shop hand as to what he was doing , I'm Coronel James the new sales manager , and you are ? he asked . Leading seaman Hugh's came the reply now **** off . Rank was never used again . [ names changed but L/S Hugh's was a good friend and a good teacher to a young apprentice ]

]

In the late 60's a very nice ex-military gentleman who was taken on by a Birmingham company as a sales manager. Poking around on the factory floor he was challenged by a shop hand as to what he was doing , I'm Coronel James the new sales manager , and you are ? he asked . Leading seaman Hugh's came the reply now **** off . Rank was never used again . [ names changed but L/S Hugh's was a good friend and a good teacher to a young apprentice ]

]

Love it. :good: