SHEATH DYE FINISH JOBBY.

bazzab

Hi all.

As you know im getting into knocking up knives. Have made a couple now and im happy with them BUT im struggling with sheath finish.

Ive got plain veg tan leather. Im using fiebings black dye and bag kote finish. Dye goes on lovely. Looks a treat but being water based will wash off, so got the bag kote finish for it. While applying finish its removing the colour. (Which it would I guess!!)

Any ideas? What do people use to dye and seal??

Many thanks.

Bazza. .

Fiebings OIL based dye is better...chances are you'll source it at the same stockist that you got the water based dye from.

Never used bag kote, so cannot advise on using it.

Used the Fiebings Edge-Kote edge seal with good results.

The main part of the leather I just leave dyed, then add some good dressing/hide food (but I NEVER use Neatsfoot in any form)

I have used home made vinegeroon dye on veg tan with good results. Just dissolve a wad of wire wool in plain or synthetic vinegar in a glass jam jar, about 10-14 days. Strain it off and bobs your aunty.

Makes a nice dark reddish brown finish, I then seal with dubbin.

+1 for Fiebings oil dye - much better than the water based, or even the spirit-based dyes.

Best surface finish I have found is carnuaba wax or paste - a couple of coats rubbed in well then burnished.

For edges, I find a better look is to paint the edges with gum tragacanth, and burnish with a piece of very hard wood (I have a very old holly stick for this which I have had for years). Two coats of gum followed by a burnish and a coat of carnuaba wax gives a solid, glossy finish, the sane colour as the rest of the sheath, but with the end grain nicely sealed.

hth

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Yeh Fiebings professional oil dyes are what I use.

As the chap says, 'vinegaroon', (my 1st batch is on the go now) changes the colour of leather to a dark grey or black and can be home made... colour won't come out, either.

I use Resolene finish cut 50/50 with water and/or Fiebings Aussie Conditioner, a lovely waxy stuff.

Yeh Fiebings professional oil dyes are what I use.

As the chap says, 'vinegaroon', (my 1st batch is on the go now) changes the colour of leather to a dark grey or black and can be home made... colour won't come out, either.

I use Resolene finish cut 50/50 with water and/or Fiebings Aussie Conditioner, a lovely waxy stuff.

i knew you would keep him right Mark, do you think he might be one of my new burnisher customers :lol: :lol:

I have used home made vinegeroon dye on veg tan with good results. Just dissolve a wad of wire wool in plain or synthetic vinegar in a glass jam jar, about 10-14 days. Strain it off and bobs your aunty.

Makes a nice dark reddish brown finish, I then seal with dubbin.

This creates a reaction in the tannins in the leather yes? Like Ebonising woods, can you get it all the way to black by repeating or using a stronger mix?

I havent tried higher concentrates or repeated application, usually just enough to take it down to a dull reddy brown. As for the chemistry, I would imagine repeated application will only go so far, once the necessary components have reacted. I will investigate and come back to you on this. Spilled droplets have been verging on black, but I wonder about the effect of such a concentration on the leather? I will try some experimentation.

Well I went to Tandy leather in northampton today.

MY GOD!!!!!!!

Do not go in there. Its like the devils lair! ! So much stuff. And amazing greeting and service.

Got some oil dye and aussie leather care he recommended. The dye is a million times better. What was I thinking with the otjer poo. Ill finish sheath and get pics up.

Enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of your efforts.

Have you had any thoughts on making your own blades yet ?

Thank you mate.

Id love to. I really like working with metal. And have some nice things in my time. BUT I live in an apartment and have no shed or garage so out of the question at the min. One day though mate.

i knew you would keep him right Mark, do you think he might be one of my new burnisher customers :lol: :lol:

Oh definitely, mate. I use mine on virtually everything I burnish.

I'd make a couple of changes to the spec, though, for a new one... shallower grooves, 'U' shaped grooves as opposed to flat and a tapering point for burnishing holes.

Apart from that, a fantastic piece of kit ;)

Have you had many sales?