Best Cartridge

NeVeTaS

I dont think you can buy a bad cartridge these days. I have used most brands and never had any thing to complain about. I like Eley, dont know why, sentiment from my youthful days I supose. Oh yes they also load 6.5 size shot. (I think express do but they call it 6 !! now that is confusing)

:) Thinking back to the very rare occasions I have had a cartridge jam in my AL391,it has been with longer case ones and not 2.5". I put this down to the fact that the shorter case has more room to eject and reload than longer ones. As long as the cartridge has enough power to recycle the action and Beretta claim that the 391 will work perfectly with all loads from the lightest to the large magnum loads used by wildfowlers, you should have not the slightest problem with any brand name 2.5" cartridge. :)  :)

I expect you will find your Westley Richards is at least some 25 years older than you think, as Damascus barrels had long ceased being made by 1925.  If you care to email me images of the proof marking, I can tell you more.

I have a few Damascus barrelled guns and before I discovered Clear Pigeon, were shooting Express Pigeon Special (fibre).  Perfectly OK for all my guns.

I only ever use 2 1/2 inch shells - Nearly all game cartridges are 2 1/2" anyway.  Sporting cartridges tend to be 2 3/4" to pack in more propellant for longer shots (which aren't sporting for live game)

The simple answer is a shot where you are reasonably confident of a clean kill.  This, of course depends on the ability of the shooter.

There's a bit of confusion in the labelling of the cartridges - they are either "Game" (for live game) or "Competition/ Sporting", (for clays).

Where I said "isn't sporting" in my previous post, perhaps I should have said "is unsportsmanlike".

For similar loaded cartridges of either type, the main difference between them is that the "game" cartridges have softer shot which will deform and give a cleaner kill, whereas the "Sporting" cartridges contain harder shot which is better at smashing the clays.  The hardness of the lead is governed by the additives introduced during manufacture.

I'm sure that we've all taken "chance" shots at clays which we wouldn't dream of taking if the target was live game.

In any case, I know plenty of people using 2 1/2" cartridges in autos, and they have never experienced problems.

personally i dont even bother what the cartridge has on it or what its for i only use danarms 32g no6 as i get them cheap and in bulk and they suit all my guns . i also have 34g 7.5(english 7) rio's which are fitasc cartridges and can out perform most others , but they are too expensive . as for chance shots even at clays ,they still must be in range which in my case i am happy to shoot at clays out to 60 yds+  but wouldn't push game more than 50yds

I wouldn,t question anyone,s choice of cartridge or their ability to judge distances.

I strongly recommend, for a bit of fun, outlining a pigeon on a piece of white A4 or A3 paper.

Pacing out 30, 40, 50 yards and setting up a "pattern plate".

Fire a few shots, see the results, realise how small a pigeon is at 40 and 50 yards.

Then rethink your range estimates.

I have. :)

Try Express 36 gram supergame in 5s and 6s, these will improve your consistency on long range shots. A good load to have when theres no wind or the birds are spooked and not decoying. I use this load with full choke and have killed pigeon beyond 60 yards with no problems.

I agree with Cranfield & NGhost 40 yards is as far as I like to shoot pigeons, over that I'm never sure of a clean kill, and at 50 yards they really are small. I'm not saying I kill every pigeon first shot under 40 yards but very few need a second shot. At 50 yards I could not say the same. Try what Cranfield suggested & you will see what he is saying makes good sense. b.m.

Ranges at which we kill pigeon is down to what the shooter feels confident at as regards there own ability. There are many shooters out there that are more than capable of dropping extreme range birds when using the right combination,by extreme range I mean 50 yards plus. If you are using standard game guns and loads then 40 - 50 yards is all you should attempt,but if you are using guns with barrels 30-32 inch choked 3/4 - full with 36 gram loads with 5-6s you can expect that little bit more. Express and Winchester supply the cartridges capable, and thats what I am currently using,anything less and I wouldn't attempt the long birds mentioned.