Pinewood magnet

Guest stevo

hi,

well I have both , pinewood and cheaper variant

pine wood ...... pros !!

without doubt better made ( but you would expect for price so not really fair )

lighter than other models , mine is 2/3 the weight of other magnets

more efficient motor , a 12v 7amp battery will last 8-10 hrs on single full charge .

should last for years and years

cons !!

the arms are not collapsible , which is not a problem but worth knowing

Price !

I personally love mine too bits !!

other /cheaper magnets

cheaper , however they do the job !

motor not as efficient , a 12 v 7 amp battery will last 3-4 hrs , so you will need the big 12 v 12 amp battery minimum for a full day , which is twice the size and twice the weight

arms ARE collapsible , and will tuck away in your kit bag

As for worth the money , Well ...... that's don't to you , if weight is REALLY the issue then yes they are , but are they worth extra £150.00 , like I say only you can answer that .

one more thing , the above comparison so-to-speak is based on the pinewood STANDARD

the pinewood PRO , weighs more than the standard , it has a bigger motor and will require two 12v 7 amp batts to last a whole day . its just a heavy duty version of the standard as its beefed up to take the 5ft arms as well as the 4 ft that comes as standard on the other model .

hope this is of some use

stevo

Edited by stevo

Maybe her Plinker will come on with some details. Can't remember the model of his pinewood magnet, but definitely one of if not the top of the range.

Great piece of kit but battery consumption seemed no better than any other magnet.

Maybe I remember it wrong, please correct me if that's the case.

Guest stevo

Maybe her Plinker will come on with some details. Can't remember the model of his pinewood magnet, but definitely one of if not the top of the range.

Great piece of kit but battery consumption seemed no better than any other magnet.

Maybe I remember it wrong, please correct me if that's the case.

my one is the latest offering from pinewood ( not that have changed in 15 yrs )

mine is 3 weeks old bought from Roland at pinewood , cost £225 delivered

stevo

As Cosd says, I got the Pro version (has a variable speed controller so not sure if it is a different motor to the 'Advantage' version or just an added controller). needed two 12v 7amp batteries to last the whole day first time out so now take an 18v out. Key for me was weight saving over A1 magnet. Setup is nice and light now.

Guest stevo

just to confirm the difference . Here is a reply from Roland to me , regarding the two types of rotary they sell , the standard and the Pro

Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 9:32 PM
To: stevo
Subject: Re: Reconditioned rotarys

Hi

These are the main differences

The Standard Advantage run at approx. 43 rev with 4 ft arms which is suitable for most times

The Advantage Pro has a faster motor with a variable speed control, heavy duty gear box and you have option to take either 4ft or 5ft arms. This is 1/2 lb heavier
than the standard

The Advantage Pro comes in a carry case.
No batteries are included in the basic unit price of £ 295.00
Its best have 2 X 12 volt 7amp batteries for the 8-10 hour day the cost for 2 batteries and charger I can do for £ 48.00
Let me know if you want 4 or 5 ft arms

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me

Best regards
Roland

My mate has one which I have kept going for the last 12 years...It has done a lot of work. I put a new motor in it last year for him.

We use it when it is a mega long walk or using 2 machines...

They a very nice but you need to keep the grub screws tight and not be rough on the wire as it goes up inside the body, (just tape the wire)

Use the brace to put it in and out of the ground!!

With the low battery use they keep a good speed all day, I would suggest looking for a 8.5 amp battery as that will give you a bit of a margin...

TEH

The pinewood with a normal speed controller from ebay, and a 10 amp battery last a day and a half shooting in the summer I use a 22 lithium now as its lighter and that last a good 3 days out.

What makes me smile is that pinewood not knowing what they sell. Never was the same after it got sold on a few years back. They use to be at the forefront with new ideas coming out, not now.

Anyway, the motor in mine that I just replaced is 60rpm. Not 48 that Roland says.

There was a pinewood up for sale last week for £100.

Hello im looking to invest in a lightweight pinewood rotary... Are they worth the money or are there just as good lightweight magnets on the market for cheaper ?

Have you though about making one,the motors used can be sought for as little as £6.00 none UK or around £10-£12 UK.

Guest stevo

The pinewood with a normal speed controller from ebay, and a 10 amp battery last a day and a half shooting in the summer I use a 22 lithium now as its lighter and that last a good 3 days out.

What makes me smile is that pinewood not knowing what they sell. Never was the same after it got sold on a few years back. They use to be at the forefront with new ideas coming out, not now.

Anyway, the motor in mine that I just replaced is 60rpm. Not 48 that Roland says.

There was a pinewood up for sale last week for £100.

That would suggest to me that you have maybe been sent the " pro version " as roland explains in his reply .... quote ... The Advantage Pro has a faster motor .

Anyway there a cracking bit of kit imo .

Stevo

Where from davyo?

Ebay full of them make sure its the 37mm diamiter motor.Uk is dearer but delivery usually 24h/48hrs.I bought a few 300rpm(for flappers) from Hong Kong, loads cheaper with free post,but can take 4 weeks(mind took 2wks)I also boughf UK motors but they are identical.

I have ordered a 60rpm and a 100rpm 12 dc motor as I intend to make a lightweight telescopic Rotary est cost between £20-£30.I plant to make it compack down to 12in,and extend to 19in.

Edited by Davyo

That would suggest to me that you have maybe been sent the " pro version " as roland explains in his reply .... quote ... The Advantage Pro has a faster motor .

Anyway there a cracking bit of kit imo .

Stevo

Nope, not the pro version. He may well have had the motors changed now but when they where made local time they were 60rpm, now Mr pinewood sold the company off to Roland things may well have changed.

I stripped the motor out and then ordered direct from the manufaurers. It was half the price that Roland was changing for the same motor.

Guest stevo

Nope, not the pro version. He may well have had the motors changed now but when they where made local time they were 60rpm, now Mr pinewood sold the company off to Roland things may well have changed.

I stripped the motor out and then ordered direct from the manufaurers. It was half the price that Roland was changing for the same motor.

Oh right . I see what your saying . Was it a pain to change 5he motors over ? As in could an idiot do it . Just checking for future reference in case I need to do the same .

Stevo

Oh right . I see what your saying . Was it a pain to change 5he motors over ? As in could an idiot do it . Just checking for future reference in case I need to do the same .

Stevo

Very easy stevo.

Cut the cable ties. Undo the Allen grub screw that holds the arms onto the motor. Undo the two Allen screws that are in the top of the motor body housing. Pull the top part off the tube, the motor is held in with to small Allen bolts. Undo them.

You need to unsolder the two contact on the motor.

Do the reverse to put new motor in making sure you have the wires around the right way.

Clean all the muck off as your there

Guest stevo

Very easy stevo.

Cut the cable ties. Undo the Allen grub screw that holds the arms onto the motor. Undo the two Allen screws that are in the top of the motor body housing. Pull the top part off the tube, the motor is held in with to small Allen bolts. Undo them.

You need to unsolder the two contact on the motor.

Do the reverse to put new motor in making sure you have the wires around the right way.

Clean all the muck off as your there

NICE ONE . Thank you very much its handy to know as good as they are nothing lasts forever .

Stevo

I bought one of these pinewood rotary's last year and can honestly say I think it's worth every penny.

What makes it different from others apart from the lightness and the upright, slim design is the fact it doesn't need as much juice to power it like others. I run mine with a 12ah lithium battery and can run it all day with dead birds or hyper flaps. The lithium battery weighs hardly anything and the weight of this rotary makes life so much easier when added to the rest of the kit walking too and from your hide.

There is lots of overpriced gimmicks about in all sports, especially pigeon shooting, I myself have plastic, rubber and neoprene decoys as well as bouncers, floaters, different sticks and pecker things which all work on the right day but you would need a quad or tractor to get it all to your hide.

With this rotary you carry it as far as you want with one small/light battery and it last you all day, most other rotary's you will need at least a couple of 7ah batteries or more for a longer session and are a lot heavier and bulkier to carry long distances.

Don't get me wrong, the pinewood one will not attract more pigeons than a £40 one off ebay but does make life easier.

The pinewood rotary with a lithium battery is one of the bits of kit I have, and one I haven't regretted buying.

Edited by THE GRIFF