Beginners shooting singles

ianb4310

Absolutely! Groups of more than 4 can be a pain for everyone else and the person in charge of the shoot should ask them to split into 2 or 3 smaller squads.

Anyone who objects to being held up by novices learning the ropes should be reminded to think back to when they were starting out.

6 should be max if there are more than 6 its 4 and 3 separate squads.....

I dont normally go in for clay shooting, but a friend bought his clay thrower with him when I invited him over our wood for some squirrel shooting, have to say, we spent a very enjoyable few hours shooting singles with 410's, and will be doing it again

So if you are behind the group of 3 AND the group of 4 seperate groups, what is the difference ????

You can be behind a group of 3 a group of 4 a group of 4 a group of 4 etc etc at a busy shoot there can be 20+ people waiting for a stand but a group of 7/8/9+ tend to clog the ground up, if 2 groups follow each other through every stand there isn't much you can do (skip ahead and come back) but it can keep things moving.

You can be behind a group of 3 a group of 4 a group of 4 a group of 4 etc etc at a busy shoot there can be 20+ people waiting for a stand but a group of 7/8/9+ tend to clog the ground up, if 2 groups follow each other through every stand there isn't much you can do (skip ahead and come back) but it can keep things moving.

I do not think that it would bother me, apart from which by the time I had counted all of the groups of 3 and the four groups of 4, I would probably have nodded off !

Edited by Westley

At my local shoot there are a regular group of up to 10+ that always shoot together, we call them the stand blockers. Get caught behind them and you'll be looking at a very long wait (50+ pairs plus banter and time wasting!). If they shot in two groups but took the stands in a different order they could pitch team vs team and things would flow much better for everyone else. I'm not exactly in a rush to finish the round, I enjoy it too much for that but having to wait so long for a large inconsiderate group who are more interested in banter than getting on with it really takes the shine off the shoot at times especially when we only have 5 stands to shoot.

It wouldn't stop me going but it can be a royal pain in the ****.

When I started out, I used to shoot the singles aswell......That's how you get better.....The obnoxious sanctomonious morons sporting their diatribe behind your back are clearly quite spinless!! There were undoubteley numerous other stands they could have gone to and come back to shoot your stand once you'd finished!! I always go early to my ground to shoot to avoid the clash, but in the event there are others infront of me, I just continue to the next satnd and come back.....I wouldn't loose any sleep over it if I were you....!!

On visiting my son in Northern Ireland recently, we visited a clay ground on a Saturday morning just for practice. We had been there no more than a few minutes when three chaps came onto the stand, they proved to be very accomplished shots, very friendly with help and advice,(lad and I are not very good!) and a willingness to wait happily as we practiced, they were true gentlemen.....don't let the ignorance of some put you off... :good: