New ratting job but they've had poison down

Hi guys,

Just had a call from a farmer who has a large rat problem.

My mate has gone over to do a bit of a reccie and has identified the farmer has been using ruby paste and tomcat rat poison.

We were intending to take 5 terriers over on monday evening but now am a bit unsure given that there has been poison down.

We've instructed the farmer to go around and pick up all the poison and dead rats so that there will be none on the ground on Monday night but what other cautions should we take?

Is it still safe to work the dogs or should we give it a miss? What concerns me is a dog eating poison that a rat has carried away and hash't been picked up or one of the dogs eating a dead rat (it happens).

What would you do in this position? The difficulty is there will be four men and five dogs so we won't be able to keep 100% eyes on the dogs at all times.

Many thanks

Edited by phillips321

I used to accompany a professional pest controller on jobs taking my terrier when I could. This was a few years ago so I'm not sure about new poisons but the standard poison used then made me wary about taking the dog. He reassured me that there was no need to worry as a dog would literally have to eat its own weight in poison to kill it. Best looking in more detail about the poisons used

Ok so far then we've got 4 against and 1 for going.

I'll try and get down there tonight to clean up as much as possible (without the dog) and if i think it's just too risky i'll pull the dogs off it on monday.

Shame really as it'll make a great end to a BH.

Anyone ever had an issue with their dog at rat poison?

Edited by phillips321

I can't believe that you are even contemplating this ???!!! Do you really want to risk your dogs getting seriously ill, or worse :/ , for the chance at a few rats !!!

Let it pass is my advice :good:

One of my GF's springers got a slight dusting of ant powder on his nose a while back. He obviously licked his nose, then a couple of hours later was taken very ill, and things didn't look good. This lasted two days and he thankfully pulled through, but took a further couple of weeks for him to get back to normal. And this was from just a tiny bit of ant powder,,,, think about it please fella <_< cheers.

Ok so far then we've got 4 against and 1 for going.

I'll try and get down there tonight to clean up as much as possible

you wont be able to get where a terrier can get or where a rat has been just don't take you dogs

I wouldn't take the dogs, to be on the safe side but my Lab has eaten two trays of rat poison put down by a professional pest controler without any ill effect. I telephoned him the first time when I was suspicious about a completely empty tray , only days after his visit and he told me something similar to a previous poster that she would have to consume a huge amount to have any effect. Saying that, there are many products out there and I wouldn't take a chance.

Simply ask the farmer what product has been down and where and if you want to be super cautious ask your vet. Poisons these days are as your guy says a lot safer than they were and the dog would need to eat a fair bit. They also don't transfer through the carcass so were the dog to eat a rat then it will be fine.

Thinking we have left it long enough we took the dogs...Three dogs managed 37 rats (although one of the three dogs wasn't playing ball and didn't take one rat!?)

We also shot plenty using an air pistol at close range that were hiding in a false partition between the barns.

Was great fun but hard work for the dogs. They enjoyed a good rest that evening. We are going back in two weeks to see if we can get rid of some more now that we know where most of the holes are and where the rats are running to.

ZeIrcTV.jpg

0mXlyxq.jpg

Well done mate great fun, as I said just try to find out the type of poison used. Pretty sure most modern types are fairly safe. Take the terriers lamping, smear some peanut butter or chocolate spread on a wooden board well away from cover to get them feeding so it gives the terriers an advantage

Edited by Proudly