Show us your knives

Peskyfoxs

IMG_20140508_192051_zpsu14wszsy.jpg

This is my first try. it was a buck style with a rubber handle. i ripped that off and made a new one. Oak, Buffalo and stainless. Not the best but it was a learning knife. I have just ordered a damascus blade that i have always wanted but couldn't afford. im going to try making it once i get the scales and liner. oh! and someone to make a black leather shelth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a great job of that handle activeviii , what mascus have you ordered and where from?

You should have a go at your own sheath it's not overly complicated and very rewarding

No idea who the folder is, i bought from SD. only £40 for a 5" hunter blade. just sent it back to change it as it was warped to would show up with the ridged scales in planning on using.

Not ordered the scales or liners yet but in thinking. Acrylic Navy/White/Red scale http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/IMAGES/wkhb050613.jpg

Red 0.4mm liners.

Stainless fittings that i will spin up on the lathe.

Black leather sheath but i dont want to start buying all the dyes, threads, leather, thread markers, groove gouges and so on. it will only be a one off for me so say 'I did that' If i can find someone that i can send the finished knife to and get the leather done as a reasonable cost then it makes a little more sense to my pocket.

Really really loving the file work on that Ebony Damascus neck blade, very clean and precise, yes im jealous. been reading up and watching videos but cant find the answers. do you use a filler? i thought about the overspill on epoxy but its a yellow colour and dont like the thought of it. but i would like to be able to fill the file work to stop muck getting in.

Yes, I use a filler, and yes, it's epoxy. Araldite do coloured resins to mix in when you make up the adhesive. I use the black filler, because it's the only one I have (it's expensive!). There are lots of different colours available - works much better than mixing in something like toner (happy to give technical reasons why, but not from my phone!). You don't need to use very much in the mix (maybe 5-10%), but it takes at least twice as long to set.

Having a bit of a clearout at the moment, I used to collect knives a few years ago, and came across my knife box :)

I have used most of them, favorites are probably the woodlore (next to blue frosts mora), the Chris Reeves Sebenza in titanium which I dont use and the spyderco UK peknife which is my everday carry although Fallkniven U1 is often picked up instead. There are a fair few missing which are probably in boxes/coats somewhere and I have sold off quite a few over the years too.

knife1_zpsb28b825a.jpg

There a few custom handled fallknivens in there too, a H1, F1 and W1

i'd probably take a few off your hands if you sold!

Heres the knife I made:

th_20140518_093615_zps0ps0pd6i.jpg

I carry a kabar TDI for work (it's the perfect tool for cutting these strange plastic lug things from certain lorrys when i have to check their load is legally loaded) great knife, **** retention on the holster. i also have opinels, uk legal non lockers, a gerber LMF2, buck revel (one of the best ever) and a few others.

Hardly ever without a knife in my pocket, you can guarantee the moment you don't you'll need one :yes:

What's the situation with the law and carrying a knife. I often have a small Swiss Army knife with me but keep my lock knife with my shooting kit in a bag.

Can carry a folding, nonlocking knife with a cutting edge of three inches or less (i.e a Swiss army knife or similar) without needing a reason, just because it's useful.

Anything else (except offensive weapons - flick knife, butterfly knife etc) such as lock knives and sheath knives, can be carried with good reason - so if you're going Shooting/fishing/camping, a sheath knife would be justified, pigeon shooting might mean a machete for hide building, etc.

Just to clarify the above -

Anything can be an offensive weapon: "designed, adapted or intended to cause harm" is the applicable phrase. So your sub-3" non-locking folder becomes an offensive weapon under the right (wrong!) circumstances.

Auto-openers ("flick knives") and bali-song (butterfly) knives are "prohibited weapons", and are illegal to buy/sell/gift/carry outside your home - although not, interestingly enough, illegal to own, if you owned it prior to them being banned (1956 and 1992 respectively, IIRC).

A locker or fixed blade (legally they are equivalent) is allowed with "good reason".

Auto-openers ("flick knives") and bali-song (butterfly) knives are "prohibited weapons", and are illegal to buy/sell/gift/carry outside your home - although not, interestingly enough, illegal to own, if you owned it prior to them being banned (1956 and 1992 respectively, IIRC).

Interestingly a 'flick knife' has a specific definition in law whereby you have to press a button for the knife to open. A spring assisted knife, where your finger pulls the blade out, but a spring assists in the opening is not illegal.

Correct, although I wouldn't fancy arguing the difference between an auto opener and an assisted opener in court!

Gravity knives also have their own definition in law, i.e. where the blade opens by gravity or inertia, and locks open. The Mount Pleasant Customs people tend to interpret this as anything that you can somehow get to open in this fashion, which they will then confiscate and destroy. This makes personal imports of locking knives a bit of a risky business! Mind you, they have been known to try this on with non-lockers as well, and then be very grudging about returning said items.

Unfortunately, the attitude seems to be, "you can always take us to court, but if you lose it will cost you a catastrophic amount of money, and it still won't set any kind of legal precedent".