Air gun license

Big Bear

Waste of time

Waste of money

...just a PR/population control/SNP muscle flexing stunt

The kid shot dead that is "the reason" for the law was shot by the dealer drug mate of the parents... been a whitewash job to get them cleaned up for the typical media circus so they're photogenic and can be passed off as normal

I wonder if it'll be just for new buyers and a voluntary thing for ones with airguns now...

Er, NOPE...

They KNOW where the most recent newly purchased ones have gone, as all such sales are recorded by the RFD

It'll JUST NOW be a case of waiting to see IF ANY of the in-force documentation will be allowable as an umbrella licence, i.e. have an FAC or SGC already; you'd then be allowed to own said. S1/S2 guns PLUS it'd cover you for lesser categories, e.g. airguns

THAT would be too bloody logical for the fecwitz in Holyrood though!!

This has the potential to kill the airgun trade in Scotland and swamp the Firearms Licensing departments with new FAC applications. After all, if you've got to go through the trouble of applying for an air rifle, why not just fill in a slightly different form and apply for a live fire?

That's exactly what I'll be doing if the same legislation ends up being carried over the border. I'm quite happy now with my trusty sub 12ft/lb BSA R10 for hunting, but if I'm ever forced to apply for a licence to use it I don't think I'll bother. I'm not giving up on hunting though. Instead I'll just get rid, albeit at a massively reduced price given that a lot of people will be trying to sell up rather than apply, but I'll be straight in with an application for something that gives me at least double the range of my R10. Being forced down the licensing route - why wouldn't you just go for the FAC?

I'm sure that the powers that be would prefer lots of unlicensed airguns instead of a massive increase of Section 1 firearm owners. The chances of a typical burglar gaining access to a live fire will go through the roof, given the potential increase of owners.

Edited by AndersPeterson

Talk is Cheap Action is Near impossible

Even with VCR and Guns Registered New @ RFD's there is No central Record

And with Government troubles with Data Base computer - Will be very interest to see if Talk turn's into Action

BOB/R

Interesting and pertinent comments, I had 3 air rifles, one bought new from a RFD the other two bought used from private sellers. (I said "had" as I have since sold one)

Given that database problems are present for sales from new, how on earth are the authorities going to check on the private sales of air weapons ??? which IMO probably accounts for a large proportion of airgun sales in the UK.

As others have said knee jerk reaction to catch votes in Scotland but what goes on up there may end up down here.

There is a train of thought to licensing all air rifles and abandoning the 12ft/lbs rule.But make them section 2 so they can be added to

a shottie licence.

Steady on there chap ..Are you allowed to bring up a sensible idea so soon in a thread