28 Gauge Vermin

Pykie

Spent a nice few hours sorting out some vermin with the 28 gauge semi auto, had some nice kills with the 21gm 7.5s I use in it. Such a joy to use. One of the squirrels was the biggest I have ever shot, as seen next to the rabbit

DSC_0179.jpg

Well done Mark, I'm loving my 20 gauge auto and 23g loads, it's so sweet to shoot. I bet the little 28 is even nicer. How do you find the 28 compares to the 20?

I have a Beretta 687 20 bore which was all I used for years and I am afraid to say I haven't picked it up for over a year now! 20 still has the edge on killing power but I did use to feed it 28gm 6s rather than 21gm 7s like the 28 bore. With the 20 bore I have shot everything from snipe to pheasants to geese to foxes so it is an all rounder.

What choke is in the barrel? Good shooting.

Half. I always use half in my autos gives the best chance at all sensible distances I think

Thanks Mark, so the 28's a bit more of niche shotgun than the 20 then? What's the choice/availability of carts like for the 28? I agree with your choice of half choke by the way.

Choice isn't too bad as long as its for standard game/ vermin quarry species. Non toxic in 28 will make you need a second mortgage! And no heavy shells as too few pellets will fit into the shell. Most cartridges are between 16gm up to 28gm in sizes 5-6-7