When did BSA change from 5.6mm to 5.5mm bore?

Ceara

Hi lads,

First off, you lot have a wicked, dry humour! Anyone new to this forum, just read back over several of the pages.

Can anyone give any info as to when the above change happened, possibly which year, model, serial number etc?

Not expecting many replies but just might help those who are new to the "old bores" make a choice on brand and pellet size. Any further expansion on this topic would be appreciated.

Finally, is it the head dia. or the diameter of the pellet skirt that is the important factor regarding the pellet fit into the bore?

Thanks,

Ceara.

I think I remember somewhere a comment about them changing in the mid to late 70's, though hopefully someone could be more precise. I have a '59 mk2 airsporter that needs some 5.6mm pellets and aside from old wasps, 'defiant vintage' by pax are recommended (though I haven't tried them yet). I also previously owned a mk2 webley Hawk and that had a large bore also.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Defiant-VINTAGE-22-5-6mm-air-rifle-pellets-for-obsolete-Webley-BSA-/141307846423?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item20e69a9f17

Edited by Capital Bee

It's the head size that important , the skirt gets pushed into the rifling and makes a seal from the blast of compressed air it always makes me laugh when people toss a pellet away because of a damaged skirt when I fact it makes no difference.

By rule of thumb BSAs seems to prefere a larger pellet head size 5.52 aa seemed to be favorite in all three of my s10, Defiants are ok at normal ranges but when punching it out on paper at over 50y the groups opened up compared to the aa or hnftt

Thanks lads,

I had touched on this topic with bruno22rf a few days ago and I'll follow his recommendation and purchase a tin of AA Field 5.52mm to try in my BSA Mercury S when I attend the Game Fair in just over a weeks time.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to reply.

Ceara.

Thanks lads,

I had touched on this topic with bruno22rf a few days ago and I'll follow his recommendation and purchase a tin of AA Field 5.52mm to try in my BSA Mercury S when I attend the Game Fair in just over a weeks time.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to reply.

Ceara.

That is still a long way short of .22, which is 5.588mm.

The 5.51 and 5.52 sizes are meant for 5.5 barrels, the old Blue Eley Wasp (which are meant to be 5.6mm) are the best, size wise, for a .22!

Edited by Dekers

Thanks Dekers,

I purchased a tin of Wasps 5.6mm as soon as I obtained the Mercury S. If I had knowledge of this Forum prior to buying those pellets, I would have thought twice before buying them! You've guessed it, they were the Bisley brand and not the old Eley Wasps. Do they have any kind of Quality Control Dept for these Wasp pellets? I'll try a tin of AA Field in this rifle and see what the pellet group is like and how they fit the bore of this Mercury S.

I think I will have to put the Chrono on the rifle, fire a few Wasps and then fire the AA Fields, once the Fields are obtained, to get some kind of comparison.

I'm just wondering if I have a 'vintage' size bore or a continental 5.5mm bore as the 'S' variant started in the early 80's. hence the original question.

Until I try the AA in it, I will not know. Roll on the Game Fair.

Thanks,

Ceara.

Hi Dekers,

That link displays the same product that I purchased. If you look at the tin lid printing, just to the right of the word Wasp, you will see in bold print the word Pellets. The wording under that line, around the tin shows the name of bisley. Mind you, you would have known that anyway!

Interestingly, that site gives the date of pre 1986. Somewhere, they must have gotten information to quote that figure! Is the plot thickening? Lets watch this space!!!

Thanks mate.

Ceara.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...