Polycarbonate-Perspex Help PLEASE!

Dekers

I would really appreciate some help here please. I need two sheets of Perspex/acrylic, cut and drilled to size as pictures, dimensions are 680mm wide, one side 600mm deep the other 680mm and 10mm thick, rounded corners and smooth edges, they will need drilling as the screws indicate on the pics.

These are very nearly mirror images of each other except for hinge holes.

post-20848-0-30280800-1403595943_thumb.jpgpost-20848-0-68288900-1403595955_thumb.jpg

post-20848-0-02177700-1403595935_thumb.jpg

Can anyone steer me in the direction of a company that can do this for me please? I am prepared to travel a bit and would also be happy to supply plans or take the existing polycarbonate to the company as a template!

Many thanks.

Edited by Dekers

Dekers!

If they are just flat perspex! You can mark out your blank using the old window as a template. Then use an angle grinder to rough out and finish! I made a replacement mirror the other day for the car! Exact replica of existing one. It's a bit of a messy task as you get a lot of cotton candy type thread due to heating as it cuts! But it worked a treat!

grab some perspex and cut them yourself matey!

there is proper perspex and acrylic jigsaw blades available, then finish off with some wet and dry paper around the edges to take off any sharp bits and smooth it out (or use a dremel with a polishing wheel and some plastic polish)

shouldnt be any more than a couple of hours work.

link to the blades:http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-t101a-acrylic-and-perspex-jigsaw-blades

Edited by brett1985

Someone with a decent bandsaw is what you need - cuts acrylic brilliantly.

I used to work at a place where we made covers, windows, cases and all sorts.

You would not believe the amount of rally car replacement windows I've done.

If you do go the DIY route then eBay is the place for the raw material -

You might even find someone local on there that will do the whole thing for you, for a price.

ATB.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped, some very useful information and contacts here...now, just to test you a little more.....

Polycarbonate or Perspex/Acrylic?

........and why?

THANK YOU! :good::good:

Edited by Dekers

Poly

Virtually un-breakable

It can be cut and drilled with ease, even folded right round to 120 deg and retain the folded shape, it really will surprise you with how strong and durable it is

By comparison the others break way to easy !

Poly

Virtually un-breakable

It can be cut and drilled with ease, even folded right round to 120 deg and retain the folded shape, it really will surprise you with how strong and durable it is

By comparison the others break way to easy !

totally agree.

Agree with Paul.

There is a reason Riot Shields are made from the stuff.

+1 :good:

Polycarbonate or Perspex/Acrylic?

........and why?

If it is in a vulnerable position, as said above, polycarbonate/Lexan is pretty nigh unbreakable, however it is much softer than acrylic/Perspex and does scratch more easily - so if exposed to wind-driven dust, gravel or salt-spray will quickly fog up. Its clarity is less than acrylic and will in time uv degrade.

Have you considered copying the windows in glass - which can be drilled and shaped and then toughened?