Semi auto advice

bobby b

If you keep pulling the bolt back a d forth it will eject the live cart from the chamber and load another from magazine you can keep doing this until empty (safety on!) only when you pull the trigger will it fire. Unless gun is faulty then it can possibly slam fire this can be done on some pumps iirc by pumping the action with trigger depressed. Not recommended!

I refer to shotguns, no idea about rifles!

Edited by HDAV

If you keep pulling the bolt back a d forth it will eject the live cart from the chamber and load another from magazine you can keep doing this until empty

Not on mine, you can;t!

If you rack the bolt to eject the cartridge from the chamber without firing it, the gun won't feed another round until you push the magazine release by the trigger guard.

I presume this is so you can get the round out of the chamber without having empty the magazine as well (the Russian version of a magazine cut-off?)

Not on mine, you can;t!

If you rack the bolt to eject the cartridge from the chamber without firing it, the gun won't feed another round until you push the magazine release by the trigger guard.

I presume this is so you can get the round out of the chamber without having empty the magazine as well (the Russian version of a magazine cut-off?)

Not mine either. It depends on the gun and its design. The 1100 and Mossberg x3x series will cycle them through the action to unload. The Browning A5 (original design, not sure on the new ones) will also providing you haven't flipped the magazine cutoff switch. The Franchi AL48 won't even release one from the magazine by hitting the button on the side. You have to unload the chamber, close the action, then unload by manually pushing in the magazine cartridge retainer. Then a cartridge will slide out the bottom, exactly opposite how you put it in. Kinda annoying, but you get used to it.

But, I don't think that's what the OP asked.

Am I right in thinking that if your gun cycles them manually and not actually firing them it will when firing them?

I think what you're asking is "can I assume my gun will cycle when shooting if I can manually cycle the cartridges through the action". The answer is no, you can't assume that as some said above. Sometimes the limiting factor is the ejector and where during the cycle the cartridge is tripped to spit it out. Some guns put positive pressure on the side of the cartridge as the action is coming back which means it scrapes along the action side of the receiver as it comes back. It will not release properly from the ejector until it hits the back of the action cycle, but a short cartridge will have lost the tension against the receiver as it will have hit the opening first. That usually results in a jam or a half ejected cartridge. Some guns require more energy or gas than a short cartridge can provide to work the action ram or spring. In that case you're providing enough energy to cycle the action manually, but the cartridge can't to it (my mossberg 935 is like that for almost all < 3" cartridges). The only way to know for your gun is to shoot it.

What gun do you have?

thanks

rick