The Roe Rut

Dunkield

OK so I have the land, I certainly have the deer, I have the caller, I even have the book, just not the tee shirt - yet anyway...

Everything says mid to late July, humid weather for best results.

As this weekend is pretty much the beginning of that period and the forecast is mid 20's and raining on and off that will be pretty damn humid.

So the question is, is this the weekend to make a start calling? or are there other signs to look out for first?

So I had wander last night, more on look out for muntjac than anything else, there were signs of roe activity in the tall cops, not quite rings but they had been out there.

I must have seen half a dozen does, one buck (unshootable) walking along a track with only his antlers visible, and not a single muntjac.

If I had taken my camera and not my rifle I would have seen half a dozen :)

Oh well that's stalking.

And it was stupidly humid, almost unbearably so, and set to get worse.

wish you had a pic of him when he was in his prime. Roe calling is great stand next to a tree and call i have had one come to 10 yards and just look me in the eyes and walk off amazing thing to see a animal so close. I just walked off and went home happy who says you have to pull the trigger to get some joy out of the sport.

Thats a buck of a lifetime, looks a big gold to me. Very well done for taking him out well past his best :good:.

That head is way bigger than anything we see round my way, but he is really going back, as 243 says a good one to cull.

wish you had a pic of him when he was in his prime. Roe calling is great stand next to a tree and call i have had one come to 10 yards and just look me in the eyes and walk off amazing thing to see a animal so close. I just walked off and went home happy who says you have to pull the trigger to get some joy out of the sport.

Apologies all,forgot to check this again.

I think he possibly had pneumonia going by the state his lungs were in and it had not only caused the body to decline but the antler growth was hindered too and as a result the head only weighed 530g which has to be seen to be believed with such a big head.Had saw him for 3 years and i can say he was the biggest,both body and head,that i ever came across and was a beast in his prime but was very elusive too as the mature lads tend to be.First time i had scoped him this year and it was a cracking stalk,and the end result was more satisfying knowing he was struggling and he deserved a quicker death than he was getting.He will struggle to even make a bronze but he will be going up on the wall anyway.