.17 rimfire lever action

welshdragon77

Hi

Are lever action rifles available in the UK, iv searched the winchester 9417, and the Henry Octagon. Id like to find one but struggling ! Are they legal in the UK. If my licence says legal for a .17hmr does it have to state wheather i purchase a bolt action, semi auto or lever action. Any advice greatfuly received.

Many Thanks

welshboy

Lever actions are available and totally legal in the UK. Due to the ballistic tip on the .17HMR I don't know how suitable they would be for a tubular magazine though, nor do I know if one is in fact obtainable in .17HMR, but others will know.

You don't say whether you've received your ticket or are in the process of applying, but as far as I'm aware and can recall, for reasons best known to the HO, you have to state what 'type/action' you want on your application?

Lever actions are available and totally legal in the UK. Due to the ballistic tip on the .17HMR I don't know how suitable they would be for a tubular magazine though, nor do I know if one is in fact obtainable in .17HMR, but others will know.

You don't say whether you've received your ticket or are in the process of applying, but as far as I'm aware and can recall, for reasons best known to the HO, you have to state what 'type/action' you want on your application?

Rim fire- the priming compound is in the rim.

+

Ballistic tips are soft polymer, not going to ignite a primer

Edited by wildrover77

My ticket doesn't specify what type of action I can buy,

It says .22 rifle

:shaun:

That makes sense; I can't see why it should be necessary to specify an action type to be honest. Can't recall what it says on mine without looking, apart from .22rf, which was why initially I bought a WMR.

The Henry "Golden Boy" is available in the UK, my mate has one. Ballistic tip ammo is perfectly suitable and safe for use in the 12 round tubular magazine. The only problem is it has a hexagonal barrel with a foresight, so if you want a moderator think again. If you go ahead remember to order the proper scope mount.

Forgot to say that the "Varmint Express" is also available which has a round barrel.

Edited by CharlieT

ive checked them out , the henry express has a circular barrel and the henry golden boy has the option for the hexagonal barrel or circular. My only worry is how accurate they are and what distance they could shoot. Id be only shooting rabbits, crows and the odd fox. I dont expect to shoot further then 100 yards with open sights..

Thanks

ive checked them out , the henry express has a circular barrel and the henry golden boy has the option for the hexagonal barrel or circular. My only worry is how accurate they are and what distance they could shoot. Id be only shooting rabbits, crows and the odd fox. I dont expect to shoot further then 100 yards with open sights..

Thanks

It doesn't really matter about fore sights or a hexagonal barrel, that may simply involve a little more work/cost for the gunsmith.

Many people fit mods on rifles with front sights, they can be removed! The moderator engages on the barrel thread shoulder whether it be a front mount or over barrel version, any rear bush on an over barrel mod is simply for a tiny bit of extra support, it has no use in sealing anything, so a hexagonal barrel should not be an issue.

Just the same I see no point in one of these rifles for general field use, you are never going to get quite the results out of it that you will with a conventional BA and scope, if you want to test yourself I see these as target/fun guns, not for seeing how they work on live things when there are better and commonly cheaper options!

Just my opinion. I'm not trying to preach! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I agree with Dekers. The HMR is for shooting vermin, ideally rabbits at ranges well beyond 80 yards. Open sights at that distance cannot guarantee a clean kill, as opposed to a bipod and a scope. If you want to test yourself with targets, get a .22lr.

So is the .17HMR not suitable to shoot quarry open sights,? iv used a .22 open sight bolt action for years, it can shoot out to 70 80 yards easy. Im just opting for a lever action and no scope to make the hunting more sporting. , but as you clarify Im not sure of the accuracy of the henry lever in .17 up to 80 yards with no scope. Surely its a case of aim correctly and fire, with give and take for wind

Choose what you want; open sights were all that was available once. With a .17HMR any small quarry you hit 'up front' will be humane enough, I think what people are suggesting is that you wont get the best pin-point accuracy the calibre has to offer without a 'scope.

So is the .17HMR not suitable to shoot quarry open sights,? iv used a .22 open sight bolt action for years, it can shoot out to 70 80 yards easy. Im just opting for a lever action and no scope to make the hunting more sporting. , but as you clarify Im not sure of the accuracy of the henry lever in .17 up to 80 yards with no scope. Surely its a case of aim correctly and fire, with give and take for wind

Like I said, I'm not preaching.

A lever action HMR with iron sights will not produce the consistency/accuracy of a bolt with a scope, a small part of that is the firearm, and the rest is down to a scope over standard iron sights. That's why so many scopes exist and so many people use them, because they give you an edge!

I don't see anything sporting about using a rifle/sights that is not as accurate as it could be, what is sporting about a higher chance of injury over death? I am not interested in being sporting when I pull the trigger, I want the odds stacked as much in my favour as I sensibly can, so I don't start with a setup that I know can be improved on for the same money or even less!

Again, my opinion, and as for those that suggest we always used to, certainly we did, we also used solid lead bullets on quarry at one time before V-Max/exp became available, we also used bows and arrows and spears and clubs and stones, etc etc, we have improved our killing capabilities, but there is nothing to stop anyone taking a backward step!

Edited by Dekers

As I said earlier, my pal has a Henry and I've put around 100 shots through it on vermin upto 150 yds and as far as I'm concerned it's as accurate as my CZ. He has a scope on his, all you need to do is fit the correct scope mounts, simple.

They are a fine rifle and a joy to shoot.

I don't see anything sporting about using a rifle/sights that is not as accurate as it could be, what is sporting about a higher chance of injury over death?

Accuracy has nothing to do with ability

Accuracy is a rifle's inherent ability to group

Ability is the shooter's job of putting those rounds in the right place from any position

scopes improve ability not accuracy

plenty people shooting ridiculous distances with open and peep sights

off hand, quick and short range shooting, sub 150 yds I can see why people would want open sights

think red dot and boar.

I shot a SMLE 303 for the first time a few weeks back

300yds, open sights, VBull followed by a 5

wish I could say I had repeated that shot for shot with my .270 and 6x42

not so much difference

Like I said to the OP, there was a time when 'scopes weren't available; it's entirely up to the individual whether they take advantage of modern technology. There is no law stating you have to. Personally I want all the advantages I can get, but as you say, it's no guarantee against wounding.

There is someone on this forum who shoots with a muzzle loader and a thread about shooting birds with a bow. Each to their own.

Accuracy has nothing to do with ability

Accuracy is a rifle's inherent ability to group

Ability is the shooter's job of putting those rounds in the right place from any position

scopes improve ability not accuracy

plenty people shooting ridiculous distances with open and peep sights

off hand, quick and short range shooting, sub 150 yds I can see why people would want open sights

think red dot and boar.

I shot a SMLE 303 for the first time a few weeks back

300yds, open sights, VBull followed by a 5

wish I could say I had repeated that shot for shot with my .270 and 6x42

not so much difference

Read my posts, particularly #17, he is talking about the rifle, and scopes came into the discussion, I have mentioned both gun and sighting systems in various posts.

Of course Accuracy has to do with a rifle as well, why do you think they use silly heavy things, daft light triggers and fondle the ammo for target work? Why don't they use tube magazines and underlever actions on target rifles? A tube magazine and associated loading action with a HMR V-Max will inevitably produce an effect on the bullet and case, however small, indeed any ammo, so are you suggesting a HMR underlever is just as accurate as a target rifle equivalent?

Open sights are fine but they are never as accurate as a scope due to the operator input, you can talk all day about results on the range or in the field with iron sights, and they will still not compare like for like with a scope, just why do you think virtually everyone uses scopes these days? Think on about the military now and historically, and who got issued the first/and or best scopes, and why do you think governments went to that extra expense? Because that lump of wood/metal/glass/whatever the soldier was using became a more accurate package, you can argue all day that the rifle was no more accurate, the fact is shot on shot the accuracy and consistency at the point of arrival are improved, isn't that the important issue, will that not mean more dead, and less injured quarry in the context of this thread?!

I have used ring sights at silly set distances and they are excellent, but I would never consider them for general field use! They are not Iron sights, and I struggle with consistency using them at 25 yards!

What has red dot got to do with this debate?

My point from my original comments are that an underlever with open sights will never produce the results of a BA with a scope at the point of arrival, now whether that small difference is of any concern, or whatever terminology you want to use to describe it, is down to the individual, but that is the case, I also pointed out I'm not preaching!

:good:

Edited by Dekers