smoking disco

ronttuk

my discovery started to smoke a bit yesterday white smoke, mainly while decelerating,this morning for the 1st time ever it started lumpy and wouldnt rev untill it warmed up for a few mins, :blush:

ive checked the fluids there all ok and dont seem to be contaminated, :lol:

any ideas before i start taking bits off ?? :blush:

my discovery started to smoke a bit yesterday white smoke, mainly while decelerating,this morning for the 1st time ever it started lumpy and wouldnt rev untill it warmed up for a few mins, :blush:

ive checked the fluids there all ok and dont seem to be contaminated, :lol:

any ideas before i start taking bits off ?? :blush:

Is the smoke coming from the front ? of out of the exhaust ? Is it transparent (like steam) or thick and white ?

The last time I had this, it was from the rear and was thick and white. Admitidly it was on the Fronty, but within about 3 weeks the clutch exploded :yes: Does it feel like its slipping at all, especially at revs ?

Si

It won't be the glow plugs, they only help with the initial starting of the engine, eg (heating the fuel vapour to aid ignition), if you are getting excess dence white smoke on deceleration it could be a number of things,, worn injectors, fuel pump problem, head gasket or even worn rings, but to me by what you have said it could be the head gasket, especially if you are having trouble starting in the morning, (water leaking into the bores over night, there is a simple test to help to find out what is happening, in the morning BEFORE you start the engine, remove the expansion bottle top and fill if its down, leave the top off, then get someone to start the engine and keep your eye on the water level, if it starts to rise within the first 30 seconds or bubbles then thats what it is. hope this helps. mechanic/mot tester

my discovery started to smoke a bit yesterday white smoke, mainly while decelerating,this morning for the 1st time ever it started lumpy and wouldnt rev untill it warmed up for a few mins, :good:

ive checked the fluids there all ok and dont seem to be contaminated, :D

any ideas before i start taking bits off ?? :good:

COULD BE PUMP TIMING!

Just to ad a reply to some other replies, pump timing does not tend to change by itself, wrong pressure setting on the fuel pump will make it pour out black smoke on hard acceleration, if you have ever noticed when following a diesel car/4x4, when they change gear they pump out a bit of black smoke, thats unburnt fuel, when a lorry is pulling a heavy load it smokes because they've got the throttle wide open and the engine cant burn the diesel properly before it exits the bore..

I suspect it is water in your diesel fuel. Undo the drain plug under your fuel filter. It was on the driver's side of the bulkhead. Pump some fuel through into a jar and then re-tighten the tap. Mine did exactly the same thing - white smoke - loss of power. Cleaned the water out of the fuel and back to normal.

How long after you started it was the white smoke?

Basically if you got a lot at initial starting and it was hard to start then odds are it is a glow plug fault the white smoke is unburnt diesel. It may just be one plug thats gone but its often easier to change them all.

If it carries on with white smoke after its got warm then as said that points to head gasket but you'd usually expect it to be loosing a lot of coolant by that stage and if the levels are right then that excludes water being the cause. occasionally it can be oil but that usually burns blue. Also as above check for water in the fuel as well but this is pretty rare these days unless you live on a farm and use tank diesel