Damascus Hammer gun

Scully

A couple I know are in the process of selling up and retiring from their small holding, and the husband wants to sell his gun and asked my opinion on its value. As there are some pretty knowledgeable folk on here I told him I'd ask and get back to him.

The gun is a Damascus steeled double barrel hammer gun with 28 or 30 inch tubes, which are shiny and in good nick internally. There is very little of the Damasus finish remaining, but the gun is nitro proofed, tight, and has at one time been a nice gun. There are Birmingham proof house marks on the flats but the only name on the gun is on the rib which states 'Falcon Gun Co, London'. Belgian import? It was bought 2nd hand in 1924 by an old boy who took the present owner out shooting as a lad.

Any ideas or thoughts gratefully received.

Valuing and old lady like this, sight unseen, is virtually impossible.

A trip to a local gun shop for valuation as a part-ex is a more realistic way of getting to finding out an idea of what its worth.

Anyone plucking a figure out of the air on this forum is pure speculation.

If you want to get a feel for what hammer guns are fetching, have a look at the website for `Pantiles Vintage Guns` in Tunbridge Wells.

The reason such guns are so difficult to value, sight unseen, is that its got to be in excess of 100 years old and as the old saying goes, "has been about a bit". Just because its got proof marks does not mean its in proof. Without a set of gauges or a bore micrometer its impossible to tell. It could also have a number of potentially serious faults that you have not spotted. You have noted that the exterior of the barrels have lost much of their finish; this alone is not a cheap job to put right. You wont get much change from £200 to get them done properly and some finishers are considerably more than that.

In a nut shell, its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If it was a well known English maker you would probably have people queing at your door to view it; but a Belgium import suggests it was in the budget category when it was made, rather than a `best` gun.

Edited by JJsDad

you say the Damasus is wearing off.........just check it is Damascus steel and not a "painted" job...which cheap imports of that time did.....

Is that true? I must admit when I first saw that the pattern was invisible on most parts I wondered how that was possible as the pattern is brought about as part of the Damascus process and must therefore be throughout the steel. If you are correct then that would explain why the pattern is only visible in those parts which aren't affected by wear.

Think I may offer him 50 quid; to be honest it's his cabinet I'm after. :) Thanks all.

Name aside there are numerous things that will affect the value of a hammer gun . Aside from the overall condition and proof status and age .

E.G. Round bodied or a bar gun or back work [action ] ,type of lock .type and shape of the fences and hammers .lever work. forend catch , engraving etc. etc.

:good: Not ready for the china cabinet yet then.

Not really. It's the only gun he owns so gets used. I know a bloke who owns and shoots nothing but hammer guns, but I doubt he'd be interested in this one.

Have been reading up on 'faux' Damascus, and it mostly describes this gun. May just make him an offer or tell him to take it to a dealer. Even the locks are pretty plain; if they were back-action I may have made him an offer, but they're nothing exciting.

Not really. It's the only gun he owns so gets used. I know a bloke who owns and shoots nothing but hammer guns, but I doubt he'd be interested in this one.

Have been reading up on 'faux' Damascus, and it mostly describes this gun. May just make him an offer or tell him to take it to a dealer. Even the locks are pretty plain; if they were back-action I may have made him an offer, but they're nothing exciting.

If it is not particularly special and cheap to buy it might be good to be able to take it out shooting without worrying about it too much. A more valuable gun sometimes can be a worry, so even if it works it ends up only going out for "Sunday Best" outings. Unless of course you are looking for a special gun.

I dont think so. Many surviving hammer guns are well made , well balanced quite shootable.

Blackpowder

as you say a lot were very well made.and balanced and they are still in a useable condition.but in 98% of cabinets they are the one that only comes out to be given a wipe over and put back.i had two both English both in quite good condition but took up room that could have been put to better use.so they went as scrap.i tried giving them away and you would not believe how hard that was.