STALKING.

Frank

For the past 2 months, their has been a stray Fallow buck on one of the farms i visit, to cull foxes.

The nearest fallow population from this farm is 10 odd miles away.

As he was on his own, i reckon he was kicked out of the main herd at the time of the rut, or just wonderd too far looking for the doe's.

I was asked to shoot this beast, a few times with my .223, but declined, as the mimimum caliber over here is the .22-250.

So, after giving it some thought, i, applied for a deer permit, with my .223 and explained how the .223, would be Ok ( long story :rolleyes: ), to cull this particular buck, as the buck itself was doing extensive damage to hay bales and chasing sheep all over the place, not to mention a show down with a bull. :no:

As my 2 stalking mates were away on safari ( lucky ******* :rolleyes: ), i was left to do the dirty deed. :rolleyes:

Now, the deer seasons for bucks and does over here, has changed over the last year, so bucks end at the end of december and does at the end of Feb.

But, this particular buck, was doing untold damage, for some reason and had to be taken out, so the farmer nominated me as the stalker and i in turn applied and got a section 42, think thats what its called and got the permit threw last week. ;)

It was not an easy stalk, as he was playing hide and seek round a blackthorn bush, but the 55 Grain, sako soft point bullet, put him down :lol:

Pic below. :lol:

P.S. The rifle was unloaded and made safe. :lol:

Frank.

post-992-1172357837.jpg

Thanks folks. :no:

It surely was faf, getting it all ligit Poacher. :rolleyes:

Kip, the shot was a heart and lung shot, the bullet enterd, disttroying the top of the heart and pulverising the lungs and ending up, well mushrooned on the other side, just under the skin. :lol:

All the energy, was dumped in the animal, it took a few steps and droped, the range was 108 yds and it took over an hour for me to get close to the beast :rolleyes: . :lol::/

I find, with heavier calibers and heavy soft point bullets, go straight threw the animal, leaving little energy. :lol:

As now i have got to do this, i will see if i can get a full deer permit for next season, as i know of folks who use a .223 for deer over here.

One more good thing about this, is i get to have the whole carcasse for me self. ;):D

The farmer preferd his beef :rolleyes: , bur each to their own. :)

Frank.

Superb beast Frank :rolleyes:

Just go's to show what shot placement and the good old .223 can do :rolleyes::lol::no:

Are you going to mount that rack Frank?

If not i know someone who would ;);)

Thanks Mate. :lol:

The .223, with correct shot placement, can and will do the job :D

As for the antlers, i have them skined, just need to boil the head, when the wife is not about. :rolleyes::);)

Stirky, i see no reason, what so ever, why the .223, over in the UK, cant be used for roe and muntjack ect, for the purpose of deer control. :/

Its an amazing, versitile caliber in my oipinoin. :/:lol:

Frank.

For the past 2 months, their has been a stray Fallow buck on one of the farms i visit, to cull foxes.

As he was on his own, i reckon he was kicked out of the main herd at the time of the rut, or just wonderd too far looking for the doe's.

I was asked to shoot this beast, a few times with my .223, but declined, as the mimimum caliber over here is the .22-250.

So, after giving it some thought, i, applied for a deer permit, with my .223 and explained how the .223, would be Ok ( long story :rolleyes: ), to cull this particular buck, as the buck itself was doing extensive damage to hay bales and chasing sheep all over the place, not to mention a show down with a bull. :no:

As my 2 stalking mates were away on safari ( lucky ******* :rolleyes: ), i was left to do the dirty deed. :rolleyes:

Now, the deer seasons for bucks and does over here, has changed over the last year, so bucks end at the end of december and does at the end of Feb.

But, this particular buck, was doing untold damage, for some reason and had to be taken out, so the farmer nominated me as the stalker and i in turn applied and got a section 42, think thats what its called and got the permit threw last week. :D

It was not an easy stalk, as he was playing hide and seek round a blackthorn bush, but the 55 Grain, sako soft point bullet, put him down :lol:

P.S. The rifle was unloaded and made safe. ;)

Frank.

welldone mate.

:lol: just a quickie to say i brought my first .223 couple of weeks ago and did some target pratice yesterday, it the same as yours so i must be doing something right .it only took 6 shots to get it bang on at 180 paces,any tips on gun and im thinking of making own bullets

But, this particular buck, was doing untold damage, for some reason and had to be taken out, so the farmer nominated me as the stalker and i in turn applied and got a section 42, think thats what its called and got the permit threw last week. ;)

Pic below. :/

P.S. The rifle was unloaded and made safe. :)

Frank.

welldone mate.

:lol: just a quickie to say i brought my first .223 couple of weeks ago and did some target pratice yesterday, it the same as yours so i must be doing something right .it only took 6 shots to get it bang on at 180 paces,any tips on gun and im thinking of making own bullets

Thanks Wol The Hunter. :lol:

Glad you got a CZ :/ , Great rifles for the price. :D They are accurate and reliable and as tough as old boots. ;)

How is it grouping at 180yds?

I dont reload, as reloading is not in law over here as yet, but make do with factory ammo, which seems very good in my CZ, Federal American eagle 50 grain hallow points for foxes and Sako 55 grain Sp for goats and the fallow in the puicture. :)

Best of luck with yours, let us know how you get on. ;)

Frank.

But, this particular buck, was doing untold damage, for some reason and had to be taken out, so the farmer nominated me as the stalker and i in turn applied and got a section 42, think thats what its called and got the permit threw last week. :D

P.S. The rifle was unloaded and made safe. ;)

Frank.

Well done Frank I bet after an hour stalking him the ticker was going ten to the dozen, very nice result and worth all the paperwork etc.

What is the scope you have fitted? You mention using .223 on Goats, do you have feral goats in S. Ireland?

:lol: D2D

Thanks men. :rolleyes:

D2D, the scope is a Schmidt & Bender, 3-12 X 50, very good light gathering ability, the best. :no:

http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_variable.shtml

As for feral goats, yes, their is a fair old pupulation of them here :rolleyes: , in certain places, they are classed as vermin.

Some i took, last may, below, as they were doing a fair bit of tree damage and grazing farmers feilds, ect. :lol:

conor, sounds like you need a 6.5 x 55 mate. :lol::rolleyes:

Frank.

post-992-1172424854.jpg

post-992-1172424934.jpg