First muntjac

Holland&Holland

Last weekend i shot my first muntjac! Been out for fallow in the woods but didn't see any muntjac while on the high seat. Saw couple muntjac while stalking but they are very quick, i only saw glimpses of them. Pity because i never saw one upclose. When i was dropping off a friend towards a high seat at the beginning of the evening we drove past a small wood. My friend shouted "look muntjac in the field" ! :blink: I never knew they would be in the field instead of the protection of cover like bushes. There where two muntjac standing about 80 meters in the field, looked like they where grazing. I quickly took out my rifle and shot one (because i never saw them i still hesitated a bit because i didnt want to shoot roedeer, and it can be strange if youre looking at an animal for the first time). The other one kept on grazing 6 meters next to its dead buddy (must have been deaf?) I reloaded and shot my second muntjac. :lol: I was very happy, bit dissapointed it went that easy suddenly. :blink: They are both male. Do not know if there thropysize, can anyone point out if they are small, big, old, young just by the picture?

When going after rabbits later that week during the day we encountered numerous muntjac, mate of mine nearly stepped on one. The muntjac ran away and he aimed with his shotgun but a tree was in his way, otherwise he too would have shot his first muntjac.

So the trip was very good indeed. Had close look and muntjac are amazing animals. :lol:

H&H

post-3027-1172489555.jpg

post-3027-1172489568.jpg

post-3027-1172489584.jpg

post-3027-1172489593.jpg

I was just goping to ask what they were like for eating.....................not many munties around our neck of the woods.......................but plenty of munters :blink:

One of the guys my wife works with reckons they are very good eating and would rather have Munty venison than other types.... I've never met him..... so read into that what you will :blink:

Si

Well done,

as for the shooting with a shotgun assuming it was over here its a bit of a dodgy area. I'm not sure how it stands now but it used to be heavy lead only and when they were causing serious damage only.

Correct :lol: minimum .240 cal, Scotland .222 for Roe deer.

Nice Deer there, wish I could get out hunting more :blink: Just waiting on drivers licence, and the rabbits to finish breeding. Then its time to stock up the freezer for next winter again. Had rabbit 2 nights ago, only one left :blink:

Correct :blink: minimum .240 cal, Scotland .222 for Roe deer.

As Mark Robson pointed out to me before Hunter, it isn't quite as simple as that in Scotland, it's more like:

"For deer of any species the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

or

For roe deer the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement"

With the info i gathered from internet i think these muntjac are very young, maybe first year? Could this count for their behaviour?

And how do you prepare the heads? Will the teeth fall out when i boil the skull? Do you skin the whole skull or leave the skin under the antler?

Sorry for the questions but as you see i know little about these animals which also shames me a bit. :blink: I normally like to know all sorts of things about the animal what i am hunting and shooting. Gives me better understanding and respect. :blink:

With the info i gathered from internet i think these muntjac are very young, maybe first year? Could this count for their behaviour?

And how do you prepare the heads? Will the teeth fall out when i boil the skull? Do you skin the whole skull or leave the skin under the antler?

Sorry for the questions but as you see i know little about these animals which also shames me a bit. :good: I normally like to know all sorts of things about the animal what i am hunting and shooting. Gives me better understanding and respect. :good:

Hi H&H, well done on your two bucks.

To prepare the head, skin the whole head, as you would any other buck. Yes the canine teeth will fall out, so a drop of superglue will do the trick, once you have boiled out the head and bleached it. :good:

May i suggest the book, Muntjac by Charles Smith-jones, a very good book, you will learn a lot from it :good:

Sorry for the questions but as you see i know little about these animals which also shames me a bit. :unsure: I normally like to know all sorts of things about the animal what i am hunting and shooting. Gives me better understanding and respect. ???

Well done H&H

Shame you hadn't got them from a stalk but that will come.

They do feed in the open, not very often you see two bucks together.

I'd say looking at the picture that they were in there 2nd<3rd year with live weight 18 & 16 Kilo's.

As said take all the skin off. The tusks will fall out when you boil the head but the ones you want to watch the most are the teeth in the lower jaw, if you are keeping the whole skull as i do.

I put the tusks/teeth back in with clear mastick (the stuff you use around the edges of baths & windows).

Took a walk around local wood this morning after taking my little girl to school, spotted 7 Muntjac in a hour. This is a public wood so can't shoot there which is a shame because there are some Very large Bucks with heads that could be classed as Gold Medals.

I shot a young Buck ( 1st year) this Sunday I'm going away tomorrow so Skind it today,

I found a .22 Air Pellet laying under the skin. It must have been shot from a 12ft/lb rifle as it got no further than through the skin. A real bad shot aswell, just in front of the left haunch. Must be a Kid with no respect.

Anyway enjoy the feasts :oops:

PELTMAN :o

I have shot and butchered muntjac, and they are a nightmare to skin, but easily butchered. Lovely eating too, but as with all venison you must cook it slow, as it is so lean it will dry out quickly.

The two you have shot do not look that old, two years maybe three judging by antler and canine length. But bear in mind that these deer can be dangerous and are known to have a go at you, and will do you a hell of a damage with those antlers.

Good shooting never the less and enjoy your feed!!! :unsure: :o

This is the outcome of the cleaning of the head. The teeth gave some trouble as it came out together with some of the skull. Maybe a bit too long in the hot water.... But a bit of wonderglue makes it ok again. Will start on the other one later this week. I was amazed by the fact that the skull has that large "hole" in front of the eye as part of his "sensingsystem" (do not know what its called).

post-3027-1173016649.jpg

post-3027-1173016668.jpg

post-3027-1173016681.jpg