Ruger o/u shotgun

Scully

Mate and me went over to Lakeland Guns the other evening as he fancies a 20 bore for a change.

He eventually bought a very very nice Browning 525 G4 and I almost bought a HW100 in .177 with a shrouded barrel, so handy for waving about from a vehicle ( I may go back for it yet) but what caught my eye was a Ruger o/u shotgun in 20 bore. I think it was a Red Label model but I was so impressed at the quality of the gun, its balance and how nice it came up to the shoulder. The sound it made on closing brought a smile to mate and me, superb. A really very nice plain, black actioned gun. Everything about it just oozed quality. I know from experience Ruger make quality firearms but had always dismissed their o/u shotguns as probably not much to write home about in comparison to the better known brands, but had never seen nor handled one before. Very impressed.

Mate and me went over to Lakeland Guns the other evening as he fancies a 20 bore for a change.

He eventually bought a very very nice Browning 525 G4 and I almost bought a HW100 in .177 with a shrouded barrel, so handy for waving about from a vehicle ( I may go back for it yet) but what caught my eye was a Ruger o/u shotgun in 20 bore. I think it was a Red Label model but I was so impressed at the quality of the gun, its balance and how nice it came up to the shoulder. The sound it made on closing brought a smile to mate and me, superb. A really very nice plain, black actioned gun. Everything about it just oozed quality. I know from experience Ruger make quality firearms but had always dismissed their o/u shotguns as probably not much to write home about in comparison to the better known brands, but had never seen nor handled one before. Very impressed.

Are you sure that the HW100 is not the only thing that you may just go back for? :lol:

Are you sure that the HW100 is not the only thing that you may just go back for? :lol:

You may well be right, a bit of a quandary really. I always feel guilty when I buy another gun; buying two could push me over the edge. :)

I have been looking at a 12 guage one, quality piece of kit. Go for it!

Wouldn't mind seeing that. This is the first example I've seen in the flesh so to speak. You're right, the quality is impressive.

Hi Scully, had a Ruger o/u 20 bore for years and put many thousands of cartridges through it and as it is no lightweight, was good for swinging through the bird, but, i kept getting ejector problems and replaced these many times, bought direct from Viking Arms. Anybody who handled it, loved it but when things hot up in the hide, the last thing you need is a sticking ejector! Now shoot a 20 bore Beretta 687 and getting on for 30k cartridges have gone through it and still good.

May i ask what the price was ?

I honestly can't recall, sorry, but if you ring Ian at Lakeland Guns I'm sure he can tell you.

Hi Scully, had a Ruger o/u 20 bore for years and put many thousands of cartridges through it and as it is no lightweight, was good for swinging through the bird, but, i kept getting ejector problems and replaced these many times, bought direct from Viking Arms. Anybody who handled it, loved it but when things hot up in the hide, the last thing you need is a sticking ejector! Now shoot a 20 bore Beretta 687 and getting on for 30k cartridges have gone through it and still good.

Thanks for that. Good to know.

Quote I heard attributed to Ruger on complaints about ejection ." Its a 3 inch American gun for 3 inch American cartridges , if you use that European cxxx you got to expect problems ".

Had a bit to do with them and I was impressed with the manufacturing as just about every thing is cast , but the quality of the barrel boring and build left a lot to be desired in my opinion for the price .

United States made - Ruger stopped making them for a while it was reported that they have been reintroduced, I phoned Viking Arms who confirmed it to be true but they had no idea when the first batch due in the UK. They also did one called a Gold Lable, a round action sxs

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-Gold-Label.cfm?gun_id=100419305