Employing someone... Where to start...

matth12321

So I've been working as a self employed Landscaper / Gardner for 2 years now and I've built up a huge customer list. It's now got to the point I want to employ someone but I don't know where to start...

Do I go PAYE or take on someone who is self employed?

How do I stop them walking off with half my customers if they leave?

Where do I get contracts written up? I've found a few generic ones on line but nothing specific for my line of work.

Pensions? Tax? National inscurance?

The more research I do the less sure I am about everything...

Matt

Not an issue paye, you'll be taxed in a lump under CIS plus paye if I remember rightly but I'll refresh my memory on that one. Costs a fortune to employ people though and don't forget they will probs need tickets eg manual handling, digger etc. employer liability also a consideration. Depends how big you are as to overheads, too.

Edited by bigbird

No you can't, they have to have own tools, vehicle etc. because they aren't regular they can be a good starting point if work picks up / drops off in winter, though. If self employed strictly speaking they should have their own insurance too.

Of course you can

No, you can't, they have to have proof they're self sufficient and working for other people under CIS

No you can't, they have to have own tools, vehicle etc. because they aren't regular they can be a good starting point if work picks up / drops off in winter, though. If self employed strictly speaking they should have their own insurance too.

No, you can't, they have to have proof they're self sufficient and working for other people under CIS

No they don't, I've been subbing for 30 yrs without any problems

You can't have somebody self employed working solely for you.

Correct

IR35 Google it. Fail that test and it could cost you.

IR35 is aimed at service companies, but there are tests that HMRC uses to establish if someone is employed or self employed

Will never have PAYE again,,, involved in construction when work slowed I was faced with redundancy having to keep PPl working etc not worth it and I'm just a small company keep it self employed rem if it rains for 3 wks you still have to pay the PAYE man......holiday pay more rights than you and if your ever faced with having to sack someone good luck with the court case.......lol.....

Edited by millrace