Catholic Christmas dinner?

Winston72

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote. Its the historical and ongoing child sex abuse scandals, and the cover ups by the church that would concern people more. If any other organisation did similar they would be shut down, and people certainly wouldn't be taking advice from them on what to eat at Christmas. ?

The above was a question, why would anyone take advice on what to eat from an organisation that sees protecting itself more important than protecting children from child abuse. ? I am asking the question because I don't understand it maybe someone could enlighten me.

Quote. Its the historical and ongoing child sex abuse scandals, and the cover ups by the church that would concern people more. If any other organisation did similar they would be shut down, and people certainly wouldn't be taking advice from them on what to eat at Christmas. ?

The above was a question, why would anyone take advice on what to eat from an organisation that sees protecting itself more important than protecting children from child abuse. ? I am asking the question because I don't understand it maybe someone could enlighten me.

i suppose everybody likes to keep dirty washing in private,a lot of good people do good work,yes there has been a lot of bad things happen none of which any Catholic would condone,it poses a question in my opinion, do preists become paedophiles or do paedophiles become priests same goes for social workers doctors nurses care workers etc seems to me Paedophiles infiltrate wherever they can rather than good men going bad, but remeber this started out as a question about dinner until the lunatic fringe jumped in.Moderator this isnt aimed at any one individual just the ones that seem to have leapt off the topic and landed on a bandwagon

i suppose everybody likes to keep dirty washing in private,a lot of good people do good work,yes there has been a lot of bad things happen none of which any Catholic would condone,it poses a question in my opinion, do preists become paedophiles or do paedophiles become priests same goes for social workers doctors nurses care workers etc seems to me Paedophiles infiltrate wherever they can rather than good men going bad, but remeber this started out as a question about dinner until the lunatic fringe jumped in.Moderator this isnt aimed at any one individual just the ones that seem to have leapt off the topic and landed on a bandwagon

Welcome to pigeon watch.

maybe they choose to be priest's hoping that celibacy will conceal their sexuality, did monks in the middle ages start stew ponds to comply with the ruling or did the church think that, all that good fish was going to waste and there was a few bob (groat) to be made, also why dont we still have stew ponds to cater for the eastern european market

i suppose everybody likes to keep dirty washing in private,a lot of good people do good work,yes there has been a lot of bad things happen none of which any Catholic would condone,

Of course most Catholics would condemn child abuse. You are missing my point the people that are preaching what other people should do eat at Christmas for example, are and have covered up child abuse. There can be abusers in any organisation, its a fact that it was covered up from top to bottom that is the issue moving abusers to differing countries to continue their abuse, not reporting them to the police etc. So my question still is I don't understand why people would support such an organisation and listen to what they say you should eat for Christmas. I would be asking the same question about any large organization religious or others. PS I think this is on topic.

Edited by ordnance

i suppose everybody likes to keep dirty washing in private,a lot of good people do good work,yes there has been a lot of bad things happen none of which any Catholic would condone,

Of course most Catholics would condemn child abuse. You are missing my point the people that are preaching what other people should do eat at Christmas for example, are and have covered up child abuse. There can be abusers in any organisation, its the fact that it was covered up from top to bottom that is the issue moving abusers to differing countries to continue their abuse, not reporting them to the police etc. So my question still is I don't understand why people would support such an organisation and listen to what they say you should eat for Christmas. I would be asking the same question about any large organization religious or others. PS I think this is on topic.

well opinions vary,you want to debate rights and wrongs fair enough start a thread,all i wanted to know was would Catholics eat a traditional Christmas dinner on a Friday,it turns out there's no reason why they shouldn't, I don't see what else there is to say that's on topic

maybe they choose to be priest's hoping that celibacy will conceal their sexuality, did monks in the middle ages start stew ponds to comply with the ruling or did the church think that, all that good fish was going to waste and there was a few bob (groat) to be made, also why dont we still have stew ponds to cater for the eastern european market

Its widely belived in the Muslim world that most Clerics are gay and become Clerics because of it.

Yes Monks did have ponds for Carp etc but in those days people were not squimish about eating fish such as Tench, Pike, Perch or Roach.

I always wondered why we dont cater for people from Eastern Europe in regards fish or even fishing. Holme Pierpoint in Nottingham is hardly fished at all yet there is a very large EE community in Nottingham. They should fill it full of Carp, Perch and a few trout and put bag limits on it. Then after a couple of years net it before Xmas and sell the remaining carp to all the polish shops in the area save them importing them.

well opinions vary,you want to debate rights and wrongs fair enough start a thread,all

Fair enough, its up to the individual what they eat at Christmas. The church preaches birth control, but few I know take any notice of that. I think people pick and choose what rules to follow to suit themselves. That goes for all religions. PS What opinions vary what I was saying are facts. ?

Edited by ordnance

well opinions vary,you want to debate rights and wrongs fair enough start a thread,all

Fair enough, its up to the individual what they eat at Christmas. The church preaches birth control, but few I know take any notice of that. I think people pick and choose what rules to follow to suit themselves. That goes for all religions. PS What opinions vary what I was saying are facts. ?

Opinions vary as to whether this is on topic, seeing as this started as a question about dinner weve digressed which I think is off topic for this thread

Your fighting a losing battle :lol:

HOW SO?

Its widely belived in the Muslim world that most Clerics are gay and become Clerics because of it.

Yes Monks did have ponds for Carp etc but in those days people were not squimish about eating fish such as Tench, Pike, Perch or Roach.

I always wondered why we dont cater for people from Eastern Europe in regards fish or even fishing. Holme Pierpoint in Nottingham is hardly fished at all yet there is a very large EE community in Nottingham. They should fill it full of Carp, Perch and a few trout and put bag limits on it. Then after a couple of years net it before Xmas and sell the remaining carp to all the polish shops in the area save them importing them.

cheers, looks like there could be business opportunity regarding coarse fish, ive heard that they can taste muddy, the Chinese have very sustainable aqua culture systems and have had for a very long time, waste including sewage filtered through various planted beds eventually ending as a fish on the slab, anyway wandered as far as possible off topic as the catholic population of china is probably relatively small

Children....

This started off as a genuine question,

But like do many threads it turns into a slanging match,

Either play nicely or you know what will happen, which would be a shame, :(

:shaun:

There is only one person here who is resorting to cheap insults - and it's not me.

cheers, looks like there could be business opportunity regarding coarse fish, ive heard that they can taste muddy, the Chinese have very sustainable aqua culture systems and have had for a very long time, waste including sewage filtered through various planted beds eventually ending as a fish on the slab, anyway wandered as far as possible off topic as the catholic population of china is probably relatively small

What they do in Poland in get them live from the Supermarket and keep them in the bath for a couple of days (at least thats what the mother-in -law does) They do get flushed through when they get netted out of the stock lakes but for someone who was brought up on sea fish and the odd Salmon or Trout they do have more than a slight hint of mud to them even after the mother-in-law has deep fried it to death

What they do in Poland in get them live from the Supermarket and keep them in the bath for a couple of days (at least thats what the mother-in -law does) They do get flushed through when they get netted out of the stock lakes but for someone who was brought up on sea fish and the odd Salmon or Trout they do have more than a slight hint of mud to them even after the mother-in-law has deep fried it to death

doesnt she even knock them on the head before fries them :lol: that is fresh mind, on a serious note once one of the tv chefs starts cooking carp there could easily be some stew ponds stocked

There is a market for it. You only have to look at the number of Polish shops knocking about, if you go into one in a weeks time you will see loads of carp knocking about in those poly boxes most imported from Poland but it is very much an xmas thing but really think the idea of having a fishing concern directly geared up towards EE fisherman would be a hit. Not sure how the rest of the Course fishing community would react to it but Im sure the tackle shops wouldnt complain.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many topics can turn into a display of staggering narrow mindedness, wilful ignorance or just blunt antagonism.

For people who are believers in religion or follow a theological guide it isn't about being told what to do by an organisation, it is simply going along with what the doctrine of that faith happens to be.

It is not blind obedience to some dark overlord, it is a belief system and it is embraced by those who want to embrace it.

For many they may look on in puzzlement as their belief system is different or they may not have a belief system at all.

Just accept that some people look at the world differently, if they are not trying to impose their beliefs onto you then why do you feel it necessary to belittle theirs?

By all means ask questions if you are curious as it is only through some form of understanding can we do away with ignorance.

So long as that persons beliefs don't bring others into harm then live and let live.

And before anybody starts on about the clerical abuse scandal then understand that is not unique to catholicism or religion, it is sadly endemic in society that others will seek to abuse privilege of any sort in order to achieve personal gratification.

Winston asked a general question in the off topic section, but quite a few took that as an opportunity to vent their spleen against catholicism, are you offended that someone might have a stricter faith based ideology than you?

I am absolutely not religious at all, but can recognise that people find comfort and guidance from religion, is that really such a bad thing?

And before anybody starts on about the clerical abuse scandal then understand that is not unique to catholicism or religion, it is sadly endemic in society that others will seek to abuse privilege of any sort in order to achieve personal gratification.

Ok a question for you , (what other organization with millions of members knew about child abuse in their ranks, covered it up sent the abusers to other countries to continue their abuse, did not inform the police ), ? Obstructed inquiries into the abuse, covered it up at the highest level, put the reputation of the organization ahead of protecting children. Supported illegal operations on women in Southern Ireland in the name of religion, preached to people in Africa that condoms did not help stop the spread ADIS, and even if it did they were not allowed to use them condemning thousands of people to a slow and painful deaths. Sexaully and physically abused children in work houses and schools in Southern Ireland. So again what other organization has done similar. ? So to me what they think you should have for your Christmas dinner, I don't care.

Winston asked a general question in the off topic section, but quite a few took that as an opportunity to vent their spleen against catholicism, are you offended that someone might have a stricter faith based ideology than you?

As I said I would ask the same questions of any organisation that did similar , being a religious organization does not mean that they are immune from questions or criticism. PS If it was a secular organisation you would not be on defending them, what is the difference just because people believed in what it preached.

Edited by ordnance

And now seeing as the OP has his answer about what Catholics should or shouldn't have for Xmas dinner on a Friday I think it's time to close it,

Thanks for everyone's input

Goodnight.

Oh and Winston, I think the comment "you're fighting a losing battle" was aimed at me, not you :)

:shaun: