My 4x4 and a bit of water

You need to be careful wading through water that's too deep. Most people (you included probably) realise that if an engine sucks in water through the air intake, it can hydraulic (break) your engine. Less people know about axle and gearbox problems. These lesser parts all have breather tubes, to allow pressure changes when they get hot/cool. Air moves in these breathers. If you wade a hot truck into water, it cools the diff casings and other metal parts, causing the contents to shrink slightly. Instead of sucking in air through the breather like normal, it will suck in water! Water in axle/gearbox oil=trouble. Be sure to check/change the oil in these bits regularly if you wade a lot <_<

You need to be careful wading through water that's too deep. Most people (you included probably) realise that if an engine sucks in water through the air intake, it can hydraulic (break) your engine. Less people know about axle and gearbox problems. These lesser parts all have breather tubes, to allow pressure changes when they get hot/cool. Air moves in these breathers. If you wade a hot truck into water, it cools the diff casings and other metal parts, causing the contents to shrink slightly. Instead of sucking in air through the breather like normal, it will suck in water! Water in axle/gearbox oil=trouble. Be sure to check/change the oil in these bits regularly if you wade a lot :blink:

<_<

Playing in water takes a lot of prep ???:lol:

Get it wrong and your wallets gonna take a big hit :blink: :lol::/:lol:

But when you get it right :lol::good: :o

Heres a movie of me at a Pay and Play day

th_payandplay.jpg

:good::no::) No the ECU isn't under the seat - its a toyota those japs know what they are doing ;):yes:

I am gonna use it for proper offroading some time this year - when i do it will be prepped properly as I haven't got that much money if things go wrong :yes:.

Just in the throes of seeing what its capable of. Sure is a joy to drive and and I am driving around with an insane grin on my face most of the time :o

Its been lifted too so I do I have a bit of extra room :unsure:

that sort of depth is fine, might want to slow down a little though, I did similar in a daihatsu fourtrack we used too have and cracked the rad along the top where the water was pushing against it :no:

Speed looked ok to me :unsure: its all about building and maintaining a bow wave in front of your motor :)

Oh a snorkel helps too :yes:;):good::yes:

Heres a movie of me at a Pay and Play day

Nice one - where was the pay and play day at? Gonna arrange one of them soon and also do some green laning :(

The pay and play day was at a local chalk quarry which holds them every month :lol:

Its £25 and you play all day :lol::D

There are loads around i have a link to a site which list them nationwide ;) i will see if i can dig it out for you ;)

Should be plenty of greenlaning up your way :lol: nothing much down here :/

Sorry, but boy blunder has not had time to post any of his pictures. You can visit www.northwest4x4.co.uk. There are plenty of photos on there. The white Vitara with the snorkel is boy blunder, who spends most of the week fixing, and most Sundays trying to either break, flood or get it stuck.

webber