Browning Ultra XS Prestige Stock Cast Help!

UNiCAD

Help please pigeon watchers!

I have just had a gunfit today at Doveridge with Dave Beardsmore (Great Guy) but disappointingly discovered that due to being quite broad shouldered i need more cast on the gun, even with the adjustable comb positioned straight over!

We spoke with the resident gunsmith but he has refused to take on the work due to it being a Browning with an adjustable stock and that apparently they are prone to snapping?

Can anyone help/advise on this and hopefully recommend someone who can do the work and guarantee it not breaking? otherwise I will have to look at another gun which i really dont want to do.

Now totally frustrated!

Cheers

Dean

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the lad at Doveridge knows what he is talking about - and he should - you would need to get a non-adjustable stock - have it bent and then made adjustable. Cutting the comb out of the stock takes a fair chunk of wood. Then twisting the remaining, weakened stock - I can understand his reluctance.

You will find few people who could guarantee that any stock would not break, because they can't. Until you bend it - you don't know.

No one will guarantee the stock not snapping for £500 ish + flights etc you can go to Italy and get a custom stock if you are solid in your mount its probably the quickest route to the answer then you can keep the stock as made without needing to have it made adjustable. Something to consider

Or Portugal

Or Somerset

Give uk gun repairs a call and see what Dennis suggests.

Edited by HDAV

I was not told how much extra but more than what I can get on the adjustable comb, I would imagine just a little more?

You try an Isis adjustable pad it will give 1/4" extra cast have one on my trap gun £100 ish fitted that + max comb might be enough

I am astonished that it cost £100, only to find the gun can't fit.

I would imagine that a one off adjustable comb mechanism could be made quite easily, which would give the extra 1/4" movement. It wouldn't be the most elegant of devices, but would do the job. The lower plate would not be sunk into the stock, but sit proud and stand out more at the side. That way, the stock could easily be converted back into a normal adjustable comb.

Can anyone advise how much extra cast is on an adjustable Beretta 692 when compared to the adjustable Browning? I am told that there is more but how much more? Considering trading in if it does the job.

when you had a gun fit ,were you not given any measurements that you can use on this other gun so you can compare it . or just compare the two guns ,size wise and see how they compare .

Gordon,

I am informed that Dave Beardsmore at Doveridge shooting ground is a very well respected ex world skeet champion and also a much renown coach.

I was recommended to see him by a friend to help sort out how to improve my shooting which he started with this 2hr gun fitting session on Saturday, as such surely I must accept his advice? comments please as I am desperate to improve my shooting and I just don't know where to go from here, coaching being a final resort due to the expense involved and i was looking to continue with this.

Are you plannign to shoot skeet?

No, just went through 40 to 50 cartridges on the pattern plate. Dave said it was pointless until such time as my gun fit is correct.

what did 50 shells at a plate tell him 5 didn't, I wonder? I have no experience of this chap, but very very different to what i have experienced......

£100 to spend 2 hours shooting at a pattern plate, to be told "buy a different gun" is not what would expect.

Are you a committed skeet Shooter?

Nothing at the moment basically left down to me to advise what i am going to do, either get my stock bent by someone who can do the work or look for another gun with more cast the 692 being suggested to try, I am a sporting shooter not skeet shooter HDAV,basically been left with me to advise Dave how I shot today (not very well) and what I am going to do to sort out the cast on my gun, what would you guys suggest I should do then?